March 2017! Hatch with us!

Well I usually mark which eggs came from which sellers anyways so this time instead of a seller name I just put the egg's name instead. I usually either build little divider baskets, for different sellers and that has worked in the past. I also livestream fun hatches so I can see who is hatching and when (how would I get any sleep otherwise haha) so typically I can see "oh the dark chick with the yellow feet hatched from "tworedbarns" and I band them accordingly. BUT with individual chicks... I am still figuring that out. I am also a bit of a early bird when it comes to taking them out of the incubator, I have an Rcom so the heat and humidity pop back up after it is opened within 15 seconds, so I have never waited long after chicks hatch to get them out and into a brooder, or a separate incubator. I have had way too many unhatched chicks get rolled out of position by hatched chicks before so that helps prevent that. I have wing banded chicks in the past and that might be the route i go this time since each band has its own number, but I prefer to wait until they are a couple weeks old to wing band. maybe I will have to use multiple colors of leg bands until they are old enough to wing band. hmm, worst case scenario I will just have to make up who is who on the spot. haha.

Last edited:
I went to the feed store this morning wishfully thinking I'd need a bunch more starter feed.
They had a sign out front that said "We now have Chicks". Immediately my mind went into overdrive. Even though I was there to buy starter hoping my little peep gets some buddies and that the eggs in my crazy-hatch will get around to hatching. But, I also told myself that the little peep must be yearning for similar-sized playmates. I mean mama hen Mima is like an enormous heater but I doubt looks much like another chick to my single little one.
Thankfully after telling myself that whole complicated story and going in, ordering my starter (which they didn't have in 25 lb bags so I bought 50 lbs which I know won't be wasted in this multi-species family), I asked about the chicks by the door under lights. I hadn't even gone to look because my eyes are capable of pulling out my wallet on their very own and making purchases behind my back!
The young lady looked at me funny (I'm sure she assumed I went to look already) when I asked what breeds they are. She said, "um, m'am...(In the voice people usually reserve for the insane), those are quail". I had to backtrack explaining--because I felt like a dingleberry--that I hadn't looked yet etc.
The little March 1st treasure peep is doing well, peeping contentedly and snuggling under mama. S/he doesn't run or startle at all whenever I pick her/him up. If none of the others hatch in this round I'm tempted to quickly construct a brooder (I have most of the needed parts here already, and raise this one as its mom.
BUT, I am waiting.
After finding my notes, these eggs are from Peaches and Zuza (daughters of Mima who is brooding) plus Myrtle's olive egg which turns 21 days brooded tonight.
I checked every egg when I got home and saw nothing resembling a pip but that's also what happened when the March 1st chick hatched. One minute it was an egg, next minute a chicken.
Fingers crossed, prayers said.

Well I usually mark which eggs came from which sellers anyways so this time instead of a seller name I just put the egg's name instead. I usually either build little divider baskets, for different sellers and that has worked in the past. I also livestream fun hatches so I can see who is hatching and when (how would I get any sleep otherwise haha) so typically I can see "oh the dark chick with the yellow feet hatched from "tworedbarns" and I band them accordingly. BUT with individual chicks... I am still figuring that out. I am also a bit of a early bird when it comes to taking them out of the incubator, I have an Rcom so the heat and humidity pop back up after it is opened within 15 seconds, so I have never waited long after chicks hatch to get them out and into a brooder, or a separate incubator. I have had way too many unhatched chicks get rolled out of position by hatched chicks before so that helps prevent that. I have wing banded chicks in the past and that might be the route i go this time since each band has its own number, but I prefer to wait until they are a couple weeks old to wing band. maybe I will have to use multiple colors of leg bands until they are old enough to wing band. hmm, worst case scenario I will just have to make up who is who on the spot. haha.
Pic coming soon, my phone charger is in a basket of "car stuff" I haven't gotten around to sorting yet.

It sounds like you have this well under control.
I have an unrelated question though. Your avatar pic shows different size eggs. Can you tell me which eggs are from what breeds? Please and thank you.

It sounds like you have this well under control.
I have an unrelated question though. Your avatar pic shows different size eggs. Can you tell me which eggs are from what breeds? Please and thank you.

Yes! Smallest is a button quail, next is a coturnix quail, then a silkie, and a Bielfielder :) My sister took the picture and keeps telling me to make sure people know it's her photo, but I claimed at least half of it for myself because they are my eggs haha.

What am I saying?  I have 50 total incubating, and 26 chicks under 3 weeks old brooding inside!  :th  

Bwahaha! I thinks you win the 'only' contest! Right now, I have zero in the house and 13 in the carport in our portable chicken tractor. I won't count the ones who've graduated to the grow outs, or the bachelor pad.

I went to the feed store this morning wishfully thinking I'd need a bunch more starter feed.
They had a sign out front that said "We now have Chicks". Immediately my mind went into overdrive. Even though I was there to buy starter hoping my little peep gets some buddies and that the eggs in my crazy-hatch will get around to hatching. But, I also told myself that the little peep must be yearning for similar-sized playmates. I mean mama hen Mima is like an enormous heater but I doubt looks much like another chick to my single little one.
Thankfully after telling myself that whole complicated story and going in, ordering my starter (which they didn't have in 25 lb bags so I bought 50 lbs which I know won't be wasted in this multi-species family), I asked about the chicks by the door under lights. I hadn't even gone to look because my eyes are capable of pulling out my wallet on their very own and making purchases behind my back!
The young lady looked at me funny (I'm sure she assumed I went to look already) when I asked what breeds they are. She said, "um, m'am...(In the voice people usually reserve for the insane), those are quail". I had to backtrack explaining--because I felt like a dingleberry--that I hadn't looked yet etc.
The little March 1st treasure peep is doing well, peeping contentedly and snuggling under mama. S/he doesn't run or startle at all whenever I pick her/him up. If none of the others hatch in this round I'm tempted to quickly construct a brooder (I have most of the needed parts here already, and raise this one as its mom.
BUT, I am waiting.
After finding my notes, these eggs are from Peaches and Zuza (daughters of Mima who is brooding) plus Myrtle's olive egg which turns 21 days brooded tonight.
I checked every egg when I got home and saw nothing resembling a pip but that's also what happened when the March 1st chick hatched. One minute it was an egg, next minute a chicken.
Fingers crossed, prayers said.

Definitely! :fl I totally get the "I'm staying away from the feed store" concept right now. What is it about those little fluffs that we find so irresistible? A friend of mine just got 6 more... but then I say to myself, "Self, you have 60 eggs incubating. Enough, already!

Set 52 Eggs today. Brinsea Oct Eco 20 and Brinsea Ovation 28 Adv.
Due March 24th.

9 Wheaten Marans (from OK)
8 Silver Ameraucanas (from OK)
3 OEs (extras with OK eggs)

7 Silver Ameraucanas (mine)

14 Heritage Rhode Island Reds (from PA)
1 Silver Pencil Rock (extra with PA eggs)

10 Heritage Barred Rocks (from NC)

Last edited:
Bwahaha! I thinks you win the 'only' contest! Right now, I have zero in the house and 13 in the carport in our portable chicken tractor. I won't count the ones who've graduated to the grow outs, or the bachelor pad.

I forgot about the 7 under the broody outside.
lau.gif

Due March 24th.

Oh these threads are sooooo dangerous!
love.gif

I need help.
hit.gif

I am curious to see how the Ovation does for you though! I'm using an Octagon 20 EX and a 20 Eco for incubating, and a FI styro for hatching. And testing a cabinet made for proofing bread for incubating and/or hatching.
hide.gif

Last edited:
Due March 24th.

Edited post above to say Wheaten Marans - not Ameraucanas. I have Ams on the brain I guess - and soon in the brooder!

Back
Top Bottom