March 2017! Hatch with us!

Day 9 for my colorful layers... I couldn't wait to candle. UGH I can't see anything! LOL I'm only able to see through 3/14 eggs! With my dark eggs I can tell they have airsacs at least. Guess this hatch is going to be a wait and see.

Day 21 on wednesday and nothing. Im so nervous! Candling was so confusing for me. I was pretty sure they were fertile at lockdown. I feel so jittery lol

Day 21 on wednesday and nothing. Im so nervous! Candling was so confusing for me. I was pretty sure they were fertile at lockdown. I feel so jittery lol

You've done everything you know how to do, right? And there's nothing left you can do to make things better so now it's time to try not to second guess yourself - (easier said than done, right?
1f604.png
) and wait and see what will happen. Even when I've had very disappointing hatches (and I get really bummed, and then I pick myself up and try again) I always learn something. I'm really hoping for the best for you and your chickies! !!
1f423.png
1f423.png

In February I purchased an incubator to try and hatch some eggs out of an older bantam frizzled cochin hen and my partridge silkie roo. I have 4 chicks from them - all partridge. Of course while I was hatching them, the cochin laid some more eggs and my old silkie started sitting on them. Good grief. All three eggs hatched and to our excitement - all have frizzled feathers. They are about 2 1/2 weeks old now. I have them in a nesting box at night and then put them in a coop during the day - it is in the 80s right now (Southern California). So, this morning I go to check on them and there are two hawks in our palm tree over the barn making baby hawks. So sad - love to see wildlife - just not in my back yard. Here are photos from this AM. Any idea what kind of hawks these are?
Grrr. Hate hawks. I know, I know, they definitely have their place in the food chain - in fact, I love to see them with a snake in their talons! I agree they look like Red Tails. They look too big for Coopers. We have a nest of Coopers in the neighbor's tree and they're not as bad as the Red Tails.

Do you have a hard time selling chicks?

Seems to go in spurts. Now with the feed stores stocked with $3 hatchery chicks, nobody cares that my pure bred, healthy, gorgeous birds are worth way more than I even ask for them! Well I'm not giving them away.

It was between 99.5-100 but still air. Most looked like they were growing fine and filled up most of the egg when they went into lockdown. 

I run my still air hatcher closer to 102, but I bet you are still ok! Have they started yet?

Grrr. Hate hawks. I know, I know, they definitely have their place in the food chain - in fact, I love to see them with a snake in their talons!
I agree they look like Red Tails. They look too big for Coopers. We have a nest of Coopers in the neighbor's tree and they're not as bad as the Red Tails.

Coopers! Those are the ones around here, more than redtails. I was mistaken on my earlier post. I meant to say they didn't look like the coopers around here. We do have redtails, but I see more coopers. In fact, I witnessed a cooper on top of the evidence pile of my favorite cuckoo bantam cochin. I walked within 10 feet of the baztard before it took off. :mad:

Coopers! Those are the ones around here, more than redtails. I was mistaken on my earlier post. I meant to say they didn't look like the coopers around here. We do have redtails, but I see more coopers. In fact, I witnessed a cooper on top of the evidence pile of my favorite cuckoo bantam cochin. I walked within 10 feet of the baztard before it took off. :mad:

They're the primary reason we don't have bantams or silkies, and that our free range age is almost 5 months. They don't go after our large fowl - but the red tails will. Thankfully we don't have very many... but that could change tomorrow if one of them decides one of our trees might make a good nesting spot!!

Back
Top Bottom