March 2017! Hatch with us!

@WVduckchick
1f602.png
I thought I was confused before!
1f610.png
seriously, I don't know who to blame for this messed up hatch - low humidity (good for SFH not for CCL?), forgot lockdown (me
1f644.png
), my incubator dropping the temp
1f914.png
, or my roo is not doing his job
1f611.png
. I guess I'll have to keep calm and set more eggs
1f1ec-1f1e7.png
. The learning continues...

You still have some that are cheeping, right? I thought you said 3 peeped when you picked them up. So those would just need more time. I'm sorry about confusing you on the float test. They all said movement meant alive and stillness meant it had passed. But it makes sense the chick could be sleeping. Sometimes I tap on my shells to wake the babies up when I'm candling them. Just so I can make sure there's movement.

You still have some that are cheeping, right? I thought you said 3 peeped when you picked them up. So those would just need more time. I'm sorry about confusing you on the float test. They all said movement meant alive and stillness meant it had passed. But it makes sense the chick could be sleeping. Sometimes I tap on my shells to wake the babies up when I'm candling them. Just so I can make sure there's movement.

Yup, at least 3 to go that peeped. Although, at 24 days I'm kinda scared and want to "help". However, the last late chick I helped was so pitiful, I felt so bad I was making it live longer
2639.png
. Hopefully, these remaining ones pop out on their own. I'm gonna open the others on day 26 for my first eggtopsies
1f623.png

How long do you leave your chicks in the incubator while waiting for others to hatch or should I check to see if I hear them pip?

How long do you leave your chicks in the incubator while waiting for others to hatch or should I check to see if I hear them pip?

I'm a newbie too. I left mine in there until they dried well since the incubator is nice and warm plus chicks cheeping in the incubator is encouraging to those waiting/trying to hatch. As it started to get crowded I moved the oldest(now dry) to the brooder that I had warmed and waiting.:)

The little yellow chick that has survived so far from two late hatchers has curled toes. I fixed her some "boots" today and just a bit ago I noticed she also has a problem with right leg, either she has splay leg or that joint is a bit twisted. I took the boot off that foot because she just kept trying to walk with it and it turns sideways. :( Should I go ahead and try to fix the splay leg too? Or wait? Did I make sense? Thanks for any advice...

The little yellow chick that has survived so far from two late hatchers has curled toes. I fixed her some "boots" today and just a bit ago I noticed she also has a problem with right leg, either she has splay leg or that joint is a bit twisted. I took the boot off that foot because she just kept trying to walk with it and it turns sideways. :( Should I go ahead and try to fix the splay leg too? Or wait? Did I make sense? Thanks for any advice...
Any fix you decide to try needs to be done early. Some would say within 24 hours. So if you think you can help her, go ahead and give it a try. There's also the 'chick chair' method if you think it might be a tendon issue. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1155111/chick-leg-injured

My late hatch is still a question eggs by candling looking good except a couple that didn't make it but I am still perplexed no chirps no airsacks busted and all look about the same as when I candles them for lockdown it's like it just stoped altogether majority of egg is dark like chick is fully developed movement I couldn't tell so I floated them too old lady was in charge of that she said one or two moved but I couldn't tell myself so I'm still at the same place I was Sunday still waiting they have two more days max before I have to clean the incubator out for Friday set of my new eggs all I can do

Yup, at least 3 to go that peeped. Although, at 24 days I'm kinda scared and want to "help". However, the last late chick I helped was so pitiful, I felt so bad I was making it live longer
2639.png
. Hopefully, these remaining ones pop out on their own. I'm gonna open the others on day 26 for my first eggtopsies
1f623.png

I'm terrible at following the hatching rules. I help and mess with them, probably too much.

I checked my broodie's eggs one last time. I had to remove 4, but I put back the three I had in the incubator. So she has 11 that are alive and developing well. Apparently she started with 17 or 18. She had 8 cream legbars, but it seems giving dewormer does affect the eggs. 2 were clears and 4 were quitters. Luckily I sent someone eggs from them before I dewormed, so hopefully they aren't having this problem. She should hatch them around sunday. Can't wait!

Back
Top Bottom