March 2017! Hatch with us!

I have one unhatvhed egg left in the incubator. It is a little over a over due. The last hatchling was 20 hours ago. We have candled. It looks right, but no movement. I tapped, no sounds.

I just floated. It floated right, but no movement. How long do you leave it in the incubator? How long before it explodes? I'd hate to throw it away if it was viable, but my instinct tells me it is not.
Help! This is my first hatch. We have been very lucky with 14/18 chicks (2 never developed). I don't know what to do with our last egg.

Here's Georgie the poult all fluffed up and on it's feet. It's got crooked toes but keeps getting the shoes off. I'm going to try vet wrap next. I got it to drink but it wasn't eating. I read one story about a lady tapping them on the head, then tapping the food. I tried that and Georgie started eating immediately. This was amazing for me cause I had tried all kinds of other tricks first with no success. My silkie's eggs haven't hatched yet. Today was supposed to be 21 days. We'll see if there's anything tomorrow. Georgie does not like being alone.

Awwwww how sweet! I use the blue painters masking tape. It's usually firm enough without anything any stiffer, it's sticky enough that they usually can't get it off, but not so sticky that it's hard to get off their feet when the time comes.

I also have a broody hen on day 22! Only one chick hatched as of a few hours ago. But she kept collecting eggs for a few days, then I removed some, then removed some more, so I really don't know what day they are all on. I hope a few more hatch. Best of luck to your girl too, and for getting a mate for adorable Georgie.

Last edited:
I have one unhatvhed egg left in the incubator. It is a little over a over due. The last hatchling was 20 hours ago. We have candled. It looks right, but no movement. I tapped, no sounds.

I just floated. It floated right, but no movement. How long do you leave it in the incubator? How long before it explodes? I'd hate to throw it away if it was viable, but my instinct tells me it is not.
Help! This is my first hatch. We have been very lucky with 14/18 chicks (2 never developed). I don't know what to do with our last egg.

I do lots of tapping (listening too), if there's still nothing, you can make a small hole in the air cell and do more tapping and listening. You will probably get a pretty good feel whether it is viable or not at that point. Sadly, floating it just tells you it has a decent air cell, not whether the chick is still alive. I always have one or two in the bator at the end that I'm not quite willing to give up on. If you're not ready, just leave it in. At this point, it's not going to explode.

Ugh! I've got 6 hatched... 3 OEs 1 FBCM, 2 EEs... Waiting on the last 3... My 2nd FBCM has pipped and is taking forever. And 2 OEs that haven't yet pipped! Hoping the FBCM makes it's appearance before the other 2 pip so I can quickly swoop in and transfer the 6 early hatchers to their brooder. Aghhh. Everyone looks healthy so far!

With my last hatch I left some for 3-5 more days before giving up, no ill explosions. They never pipped and I didn't have the heart to eggtopsy... I ended up just throwing them out.

Back
Top Bottom