March 2017! Hatch with us!

I hope your mamma hen has amazing success with her littles!! How many chicks can a broody typically care for? (Having not had a broody experience, and still not received those broody vibes you sent - they're probably on a PO truck that got rerouted to Florida first!)
big_smile.png

Yes, apparently the vibes are still at my place. My 15th broody started this week, a black bantam cochin. 15 is counting last year too, but 5th this year
barnie.gif

Mocha was my first chocolate orp, with her sister Cocoa. She's a pretty big girl. I got eggs last summer and I hatched some in the bator, and she hatched some. 11 total. Cocoa went broody with about 4 days left, so they ended up sharing the raising responsibilities, but Mocha kinda took over after about a week. Cocoa got sick a couple months later and died. But anyway, the chicks from that hatch are the ones that laid the eggs Mocha was sitting on this time. They are much smaller girls, being from a different breeder. She was originally on 19 eggs, till I removed some a couple of times. But she now has 9 chicks, and she can handle that many. But I'd say 5-8 is best for most individual broodies. My OEGB girl is doing well with her 6 Seramas. Black Serama has a clutch due next week.

@Cerise1924 I'm so happy that I'll get to read your hatch news in this hatchalong!!!
For some reason I find the sheer volume of posts in the next Easter hatchalong overwhelming.
I decided to skip that one which is comical since i'm not the one who decides whether any of my girls will go broody...I've set up the temptations in each possible coop (fake real eggs, plus fake wooden eggs plus a few egg shaped stones in a comfie quiet laying box) and they've garnered curiosity but no brooding yet.

What are you hatching tomorrow? How many eggs are locked down?
It's so exciting!!! Vicarious thrills here I come!

ya.gif
Awww, thank you for your kind interest. This has been such a great hatch-a-long group, and the scale is just right - not overwhelming.
This is my first hatch from Papa's Poultry, and the eggs have come along much better than most of my shipped eggs. There was only one that didn't develop and got tossed.

So, I have in lockdown:
-Two Jubilee Orpingtons
-One splash Orpington
-Four Easter Eggers (or possibly Ameraucanas)
-One Marans
-One Olive Egger

No pips yet, but the eggs looked great on Day 18.
thumbsup.gif
Today is Day 20.

Ok, so I tried to get the eggs from under the broodies. I got 8 and I have bloody hands. There is still 3 eggs that I can see. I'm hoping they kick them out. I threw some food into the coop and some of the moms got up, but 3 stayed behind.

They currently have the 2 chicks they hatched, plus 4 RIR chicks. Here are the 2 bravest chicks with the big girls. It's blurry, but they didn't want to stay still. I couldn't find the black silkie chick this morning, but I wasn't back there very long.

And here is the consolation prize broodies - they have no fertile eggs, and no possibility of getting any chicks. They are hogging the favorite nesting area. I'm guessing a minimum of 4 maybe 5 birds in here.

Awww, thank you for your kind interest. This has been such a great hatch-a-long group, and the scale is just right - not overwhelming.
This is my first hatch from Papa's Poultry, and the eggs have come along much better than most of my shipped eggs. There was only one that didn't develop and got tossed.

So, I have in lockdown:
-Two Jubilee Orpingtons
-One splash Orpington
-Four Easter Eggers (or possibly Ameraucanas)
-One Marans
-One Olive Egger

No pips yet, but the eggs looked great on Day 18.
thumbsup.gif
Today is Day 20.

yippiechickie.gif
C'mon little chickies.... Pip those shells!!

Ok, so I tried to get the eggs from under the broodies. I got 8 and I have bloody hands. There is still 3 eggs that I can see. I'm hoping they kick them out. I threw some food into the coop and some of the moms got up, but 3 stayed behind.

They currently have the 2 chicks they hatched, plus 4 RIR chicks. Here are the 2 bravest chicks with the big girls. It's blurry, but they didn't want to stay still. I couldn't find the black silkie chick this morning, but I wasn't back there very long.

And here is the consolation prize broodies - they have no fertile eggs, and no possibility of getting any chicks. They are hogging the favorite nesting area. I'm guessing a minimum of 4 maybe 5 birds in here.

That is so adorable. Poor girls on infertile eggs. I thought you were going to give them some fertile ones?

And ya know how women always go to the restroom in pairs or groups? I guess we get it from the chickens.
gig.gif

(the black on in the box is the newly broody one, for the past 3 or 4 days)

Chicken math strikes again! Agh!!! Just added 4 more from the feed store - (Brahma, EE, red sex link, and black sex link) My friend is having me raise babies for her to get them through the baby stage and I didn't want to give up any of my hatchlings as I'm not sure how many females I have! LOL They're stinkin cute and getting along great. Though I think the Brahma might have a bit of pasty butt going on... Gave them all some scrambled eggs and about to clean the little goobers rear.

Back
Top Bottom