March hatch along

We're on day 23 here. Looks like a 33% hatch rate. Not sure what happened to the ones still in the 'bator.
hit.gif

4/5 of the Marans, 0/1 OE, and 5/21 of the Amers hatched. So whatever conditions were (humidity too low, temps too high?), they were pretty good for the Marans. For the ones that hatched, hatching went quickly and easily. Of the Amers, one came up a non-standard color and another has feathered legs.
barnie.gif
Cute little buggers, though.

Hmmm ... there's a place down the road that does custom hatching ...

7 of my 8 made it out of icu this morning, one is still struggling, not sure if it will make it, may have to euthanize.

30 went into lock down, 2 hatched on their own w/o my help, all the rest were assisted out by me, they were all shrink wrapped.

7 of my 8 made it out of icu this morning, one is still struggling, not sure if it will make it, may have to euthanize.

30 went into lock down, 2 hatched on their own w/o my help, all the rest were assisted out by me, they were all shrink wrapped.

Sorry to hear that.... the chick posted above is the one you helped to save. It was the only one out of 11 that didn't die from being shrink wrapped.

Quote:
My first hatch I lost all from shrink wrapping, that is why I am quick to help now. I knew no matter how bad I did I couldn't do any worse then 100% dead, besides I'm a paramedic it isn't in our nature to sit on our hands and wait. lol

I am glad you were able to save the one anyway. Each hatch you will learn a little more about how your bator works and how best to help your chicks, and when they need it and when they don't, learn from each new hatch and count the lives you helped bring in this world, not the ones nature took.

@carcar80 I have had awesome near 100% hatches, and I have had total failure 100% not hatched. I have had broodies sit on eggs and never hatch them, I had to give them chicks finally. If a hen who God designed to be the perfect incubator has failed hatches I don't see why you should beat yourself up for our feeble human attempt at imitating God's perfect design imperfectly.
hugs.gif
These are beautiful words, @Kassaundra.

Also - your NN babies are gorgeous!!!

My husband just called me at work.

There is a certain Brahma in my bator that will be out of the shell very shortly!!

OMGosh, I could DIE!!!

Back
Top Bottom