MarineCorpFarmr Egg BOMB, A new Beginning! Follow along in his journey to a new flock!

Unless this last batch of turkey eggs I set Wed shows fertile before Mon I will only be sending ancona ducks & rainbow layers in this batch. I have a batch of calls in for fertility check too. You can have some of those too if fertility checks out by Mon if you want them.

Unless this last batch of turkey eggs I set Wed shows fertile before Mon I will only be sending ancona ducks & rainbow layers in this batch. I have a batch of calls in for fertility check too. You can have some of those too if fertility checks out by Mon if you want them.

Sweet :) my geeses havent started to lay yet... im about to start burning the lights at night and give them a kick start. The silkie and the bantam that are bloody are sharing a nest box.. ill try to get a pic but bantam vanishes under silkie lol

So far, I have 1 fertile egg out of 7 in batch 2 of the turkeys & can't tell yet on batch 3. I may wait until Wed to ship just so I can tell for sure on the Turkeys first.

I wish I had taken fertility a little more seriously. I kept thinking...my roo is doing his job, so my eggs are fertile! I just sent out a batch of eggs for a classroom hatch, and did tell the lady I had not checked fertility but was sure they were. Yesterday making a lot of cupcakes I opened plenty and some were definitely NOT fertile. So, she's gonna have some clears for sure. How embarrassing
hide.gif

[COLOR=800080]I wish I had taken fertility a little more seriously. I kept thinking...my roo is doing his job, so my eggs are fertile! I just sent out a batch of eggs for a classroom hatch, and did tell the lady I had not checked fertility but was sure they were. Yesterday making a lot of cupcakes I opened plenty and some were definitely NOT fertile. So, she's gonna have some clears for sure. How embarrassing:oops: [/COLOR]

I had fertility issues last year with my calls. I set the first few eggs (all from the first hen to lay) & they started, so I started shipping eggs. The other hens were laying by then. Apparently my drake only liked the 1 hen for about the first month, because none of the other girls' eggs were fertile. I have a new drake this year (lost my little boy to the cold) & he's only had a week to figure out his job even though the girls are laying like mad.

My turkeys are laying & I've caught my young slate tom breeding once, but not sure he's covering all 4 hens. The palm tom seems to have lost interest since the slate tom stepped up. The palm girls may not be getting bred. Need to get them separated into trios.

Quote: I had fertility issues last year with my calls. I set the first few eggs (all from the first hen to lay) & they started, so I started shipping eggs. The other hens were laying by then. Apparently my drake only liked the 1 hen for about the first month, because none of the other girls' eggs were fertile. I have a new drake this year (lost my little boy to the cold) & he's only had a week to figure out his job even though the girls are laying like mad.

My turkeys are laying & I've caught my young slate tom breeding once, but not sure he's covering all 4 hens. The palm tom seems to have lost interest since the slate tom stepped up. The palm girls may not be getting bred. Need to get them separated into trios.

Your girls are already laying? I only have one pair, and she laid 1 clutch in the fall, but she hasn't laid anything this year. Everyday I go out expecting an egg, and nada! Also, if I take the first clutch, will she really lay a second? If so, how long does it take them to start on a second. Sorry for the questions, but I don't know anyone else with Calls.

[COLOR=800080]Your girls are already laying? I only have one pair, and she laid 1 clutch in the fall, but she hasn't laid anything this year. Everyday I go out expecting an egg, and nada! Also, if I take the first clutch, will she really lay a second? If so, how long does it take them to start on a second. Sorry for the questions, but I don't know anyone else with Calls.[/COLOR]
At least 4/5 of my call hens are laying. I get 2-4 eggs daily right now. A couple just started laying. 3 hens are 2012 babies & laid last year. The other 2 hens & drake are 2013 babies, so not positive they have this whole matig thing down yet this year. I steal eggs daily. Mine are caged, so no egg hunt. They kept laying through early August last year & none went broody because I kept taking the eggs. If you want them to hatch a clutch, just stop collllecting eggs. When she has what. she wants in the nest she'll stop laying & set the nest.

Just got our first goose egg yesterday :)

Excitement got crushed when we hit a whole 25 degrees for the high today after freakin 74 on sunday. Cruel I tell ya.

Npip yearly testing is weds so that should be fun.

The turkeys are fertile! Everything laid since the 22nd is developing. Apparently Benny figured out which end of the hen was which...lol

MCF-If I can locate a ride to the PO tomorrow you will have a bunch of slate/palm & pure slate going out, a few ancona duck & a bunch of rainbow layers. Not sure how many of each. I'll collect tomorrow morning to go with everything here. There are over a dozen turkey eggs but the anconas are slacking this week. I have like 5 dozen rainbow layers sitting here that didn't fit in my bator & didn't get eaten, all under a week old. So I will see how many I can wiggle into a box without breaking.

Darn polish & calls are all still clear. Will be sticking my cream legbar roo in with the polish tomorrow to see if we can get some crested EE with barring...lol

Back
Top Bottom