Marsh Daisy

You are so right, I really wish there were more breeders! They give up quickly for some reason, I have noticed those that do have them want to get rid of them by the time they are 4 months old. They do not know what they are missing. I think I have become obsessed with the breed. Right now all I have been breeding are the Marsh Daisy crossed with cermani for a friend of mine with predator problems. The goal it to give them a better chance at night for survival, as solid black birds, and as flighty as they are they would do well in wooded and marsh areas, which i have plenty around here for them to strive in. If the egg production remains the same, they will do great along the coastline of Cameron, LA. which is now over ran with coyotes and white owls. With most of the people gone now due to the Hurricane Rita and Katrina, the wildlife are taking over. Anyway.... With my new rooster that arrived today, no more crossing. I am still a novice and leaning something new ever day about them. Now with the new rooster addition I can actively start breeding them again to see what they can produce. So far their egg production has far exceeded my expectations. They are keeping up with my leghorns and are the only two breeds still producing eggs even with such short day light hours. I have found they are not instinctive mothers. They are not broody, and would rather let another hen hatch their clutch. I still have to look at pictures constantly to compare mine to..I am getting a litter better everyday, but far from being perfect.
This is the most encouraging thing I have heard for the Marsh Daisy. Glad to see that your are able to take advantage of their reputation as being able to thrive in free range and mash lands, and that they are proving to be a useful breed that is worth making them your only breed (and have a new cockerel to work with). This is exactly what breed needs. People that like them for what they are and that are willing to keep them around for there utilities.

I am also glad to hear they are keeping up with the leghorns in production. That should go a long way in validating them as a useful breed. Lots of people get rare breeds thinking that they are valuable and they can sell from the flock and make money. In the end they give up because people say I like my Rocks better because they had a better disposition, or I like my Reds better because they grew better, or I like my Leghorns better because they laid better, etc. What makes a breed valuable is it utilities. The more uniform a flock is the higher the quality because those sought after utilities are in every bird, not just one or two stand outs in the flock. Working towards utilities should be the first goal for the Marsh Daisy and then uniformity to the breed standard. No, a comb with non-inverted points doesn't make the bird any better a layer or any better forager than one with the defected inverted points, but working to get the whole birds correct is what makes it valuable. A breeder that is attentive enough to their birds to notice a minor color defect or the correct tail angle, etc. is not going to miss early indications of vigor, or minor points that could indicate a more efficient body type, etc. The result of breeding to a standard is that the whole bird improves.

I often cringe when people say they want productive birds, but they don't care if they meet the breed standard, because if they don't meet the standard they probably aren't going to perform as the breed was intended to perform either. Form and function go hand in hand. The body shapes, weights, etc in the breed standard are not only what make the breed look uniform but also the ideal body type for the utilities the breed is know for.

Last edited:
We are quite a bit apart.  When they are old enough for hatching I'll let everyone know and ship half dozen eggs at a time since I have only two hens with a three day window folks should get them before their max window viability. 

I've never lost a bird to the cold. Warm and damp but not the cold. 

Sounds great! I don't let distance scare me, California shipments keep me on my toes! Indiana, Wyoming, New York, Colorado make it here usually 3 days! New Nexico well it varies but not near as bad as California! I think I'm done with having anything shipped from there eggs or birds!

I'll let you know when mine are off their winter vacation they need a break!

Sounds great! I don't let distance scare me, California shipments keep me on my toes! Indiana, Wyoming, New York, Colorado make it here usually 3 days! New Nexico well it varies but not near as bad as California! I think I'm done with having anything shipped from there eggs or birds!

I'll let you know when mine are off their winter vacation they need a break!
Someone on the New York chicken lovers thread had a bad deal with California. Chicks all dead and that sort of thing.

What my thoughts were with eggs was doing a round robin type thing. I'll send eggs to a person for the shipping and packaging, ( I have anice styrofoam container) that person send eggs to the next person on the list, then that person send eggs and so on, till we all get some new eggs to hatch.

I expect it will only be half dozen eggs or so.

All parties willing of course.

Got two more eggs today, though not in the next box, but they should catch on.

Someone on the New York chicken lovers thread had a bad deal with California. Chicks all dead and that sort of thing.

I believe it, I have had horrible luck and problems with every shipment from their!

What my thoughts were with eggs was doing a round robin type thing. I'll send eggs to a person for the shipping and packaging, ( I have anice styrofoam container) that person send eggs to the next person on the list, then that person send eggs and so on, till we all get some new eggs to hatch.

I love the idea! Count me in, I keep shipping boxes and shipping foam for 6, 12, and 24 eggs. I would be more than willing to join the band wagon....

I expect it will only be half dozen eggs or so.

Considering how few people are breeding, I would be happy with one hatchling at a time. Swapping eggs is more than fair. We all know the risk, and if this breed can make it here in the state and this is the only way. I am game!!

All parties willing of course.

Got two more eggs today, though not in the next box, but they should catch on.

Try a golf ball, or plastic eggs, that is how I trained all mine. Otherwise they were all over the place.

Did you ever get a chance to measure or weigh yours, I missed the chance due to thinking they were bantam eggs?
When you start hatching, one thing I notices, the chicks were small, real small. I tried dry incubation at about 35%, and I tried 50% RH. I then tried 70% RH They were still small. The shells were not hard, they were relatively thin even with supplements. I had a 100% hatch rate. I have only lost 1 of about 60 I hatched out, it was the smallest of all and it was trampled. I had to help 50% out of the shells. I waited till they cracked the outer shell and waited 12 hours, if they were not out, I took them out carefully using warm water. Most were due to the heads being tucked under the wing. The other half did great, no problems and all are thriving and healhy.

As a comparison, I was able to get hold of three dozen Sicilian Buttercups. Using the same method on shipped eggs as above. Only two hatched, one was trampled, and both were tiny! So small, like the MD it is now 4 weeks old and still in the brooder with my week old Cermani Daises. It acts just like a MD chick. I can only assume, they may be the factor in the chicks being so small at hatching, and so slow to grow. Since the Buttercup was the last ingredient in this breed I want to know more about why they are the way they are. I have an order of Buttercups coming in February since my hatch rate was so poor. I cant wait, my other MD come should be here in January fron GFF, and the BC another breeder in February so ill be able to make a really good observation on their rate of growth and behavior.

One thing I forgot to mention, the BC eggs, were identical to my MD eggs.....The may have inherited a lot from those little birds....

If you decide to join in with Rancher and swap eggs for a round robin, I would be more than happy to send you a few Cermani Dasies when they are old enough to produce. I will keep 5 pullets from the cross to breed back to another Cermain I have, then back to a MD Rooster. Then I will start line breeding the 3rd generation chicks. You wont have to wait that long. By May or June they should be in full production. Just let me know...Ill mark my calendar to get back with you in June

The cermaini are over rated, they really are. I am finding a useful purpose for them. My friend in Cameron, every year he loses his entire flock to Owls, Coyotes, wild dogs, ect. No mater what he does, something gets to them. I send him ALL of my culls. All he wants are eggs to eat. All that is left within a 50 mile radius on the coast is a dollar store. When they sell out of eggs, well its really not worth driving 100 miles round trip for a dozen eggs.

Last edited:
Something I forgot to mention! I spoke with GFF about 3-4 weeks ago when I was due a shipment! Their MD went into molt and they had a very poor hatch rate! I wonder if the breed has an incubation issue! The eggs I left with a broody hen so far have developed normally, I pulled them 7 days to hatching, I expect them to start Monday

This might be an issue we might face later on, poor hatch, due to hatching Size or DIS, my biggest problem was having the heads tucked under there wings not being able to break out of the shells!

Mine kept laying through molt and haven't stopped yet! I just got tired of hatching chicks.

This is the most encouraging thing I have heard for the Marsh Daisy.  Glad to see that your are able to take advantage of their reputation as being able to thrive in free range and mash lands, and that they are proving to be a useful breed that is work making them you sole breed (and have a new cockerel to work with).  This is exactly what breed needs.  People that like them for what they are and that are willing to keep them around for there utilities.

I am also glad to hear they are keeping up with the leghorns in production.  That should go a long way in validating them as a useful breed.  Lots of people get rare breeds thinking that they are valuable and they can sell from the flock and make money.  In the end they give up because people say I like my Rocks better because they had a better disposition, or I like my Reds better because they grew better, or I like my Leghorns better because they laid better, etc.  What makes a breed valuable is it utilities.  The more uniform a flock is the higher the quality because those sought after utilities are in every bird, not just one or two stand outs in the flock.  Working towards utilities should be the first goal for the Marsh Daisy and then uniformity to the breed standard.  No, a comb with non-inverted points doesn't make the bird any better a layer or any better forager than one with the defected inverted points, but working to get the whole birds correct is what make it valuable.  A breeder that is attentive enough to their birds to notice a minor color defect or the correct tail angle, etc. is not going to miss early indications of vigor, or minor points that could indicate a more efficient body type, etc.  The result of breeding to a standard is that the whole bird improved.  

I often cringe when people say they want productive birds, but they don't care if they meet the breed standard, because if they don't meet the standard they probably aren't going to perform as the breed was intended to perform either.  Form and function go hand in hand. The body shapes, weights, etc in the breed standard are not only what make the breed look uniform but also the ideal body type for the utilities the breed is know for. 

I am glad to see others taking intrest too! I researched the MD for almost a year before I committed to my first purchase, I've made the mistake of wanting a breed because of looks, I chose them based on their original purpose survival and egg production, looks came last! Now their temperment and personality have me hooked! They stand out on their own and have met every expectation!

Now to increase their numbers promote them and possibly keep them around for years to come so others can enjoy them! Garydean glad to see you here, this site needs your knowledge even if others don't realize it yet! I appreciate your input and you have my respect!

If you decide to join in with Rancher and swap eggs for a round robin, I would be more than happy to send you a few Cermani Dasies when they are old enough to produce. I will keep 5 pullets from the cross to breed back to another Cermain I have, then back to a MD Rooster. Then I will start line breeding the 3rd generation chicks. You wont have to wait that long. By May or June they should be in full production. Just let me know...Ill mark my calendar to get back with you in June

The cermaini are over rated, they really are. I am finding a useful purpose for them. My friend in Cameron, every year he loses his entire flock to Owls, Coyotes, wild dogs, ect. No mater what he does, something gets to them. I send him ALL of my culls. All he wants are eggs to eat. All that is left within a 50 mile radius on the coast is a dollar store. When they sell out of eggs, well its really not worth driving 100 miles round trip for a dozen eggs.
With all due respect I won't be interested in any crosses when and if we trade. Seems to me Coyote, Owls and Wild dogs need to be dealt with. I would not have chickens if I had such a problem.

One thing I do and he might try is "Marking his territory". I even have old jeans stapled to some trees in the woods that I mark. Still it is troubling that he lets them become food for the wild animals.

I am glad to see others taking intrest too! I researched the MD for almost a year before I committed to my first purchase, I've made the mistake of wanting a breed because of looks, I chose them based on their original purpose survival and egg production, looks came last! Now their temperment and personality have me hooked! They stand out on their own and have met every expectation!

Now to increase their numbers promote them and possibly keep them around for years to come so others can enjoy them! Garydean glad to see you here, this site needs your knowledge even if others don't realize it yet! I appreciate your input and you have my respect!
They are funny. I find them in the garage at the back door. I don't know what it is but I suspect they want to be around people. They don't let me pick them up but they are under foot when I'm out and will come when I call. I do like that.

Garydean glad to see you here, this site needs your knowledge even if others don't realize it yet! I appreciate your input and you have my respect!
Thanks...I took an interest in the breed a few years back and did some research in the origins of the breed and how it was developed. I was considering repeating the steps to create a psudo Marsh Daisy since no Marsh Daisy were in the US at the time and it didn't look like they would going to survive long enough to make it here. I didn't do the project and they did make it here so I have been following the establishment of the breed in the USA with interest. It has taken a while to catch on, but looks like it is now ready to take off.

With all due respect I won't be interested in any crosses when and if we trade.  Seems to me Coyote, Owls and Wild dogs need to be dealt with. I would not have chickens if I had such a problem. 

One thing I do and he might try is "Marking his territory".  I even have old jeans stapled to some trees in the woods that I mark.  Still it is troubling that he lets them become food for the wild animals. 

They are funny. I find them in the garage at the back door. I don't know what it is but I suspect they want to be around people.  They don't let me pick them up but they are under foot when I'm out and will come when I call.  I do like that. 

Don't misunderstand, he has done everything humanly possible with the exception of bringing them into the house. every year he try's different ways to protect them! They wild dogs chew through wood and shred hurricane fence or dig under it, they literally bite Hotwire pulling it down grounding it out The coyotes and dogs climb the coop sides walking on top of wire they are evolving and getting smarter! The only preditor control is a gun!

After dark his kids can't play in the front yard, coyotes try to take kids! He has to carry a gun to walk his old begal after dark, coyotes here will take them while you have them on leash!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom