Marsh Daisy

Good news and bad news! Greenfire can't fill my order of MD until January, that's ok I'm patient! Good news, a member of BYC has been so kind as to allow me to buy a pair! I'm so excited , hopefully I'll have mine next week to add to my slowly, slowly growing flock of MD!!!!! Can't wait!

Good news and bad news! Greenfire can't fill my order of MD until January, that's ok I'm patient! Good news, a member of BYC has been so kind as to allow me to buy a pair! I'm so excited , hopefully I'll have mine next week to add to my slowly, slowly growing flock of MD!!!!! Can't wait!
Well should you find someone selling eggs to hatch send them my way.
wink.png

Well should you find someone selling eggs to hatch send them my way.
wink.png
I will let you know if I stumble across another breeder, hopefully they wont charge an arm and a leg, some of these people out for profit on certain breeds are actually doing more damage with the outrageous prices. It forces some buyers to resort to inbreeding, who do not have the means or the time to line breed. Too bad, so many breeds are showing the results of poor breeding practices.

With the addition of the new rooster and hen I hoping to have soon, I will give them a couple of months, then start checking fertility. Theses are old enough to lay, its a atter of rehoming them. I have found the older they are when rehomed, the longer it takes for them to start laying again. I will let definitely let you know If I hear of anyone else with eggs.

Its like pulling teeth, either no one has breeding pairs, or they are just eating the eggs...Its the only breed I have ran into this problem with. I thought of the possibility of them being sent north, in the colder climate by the GFF the birds may not make it because of the climate difference of what the were originally breed for. Its possible they are just not cut out to survive in dry cold climates. I wish there was a way to do a study...Bus even here, not too many people are interested in the breed! I guess you have to own one, let it mature, then see exactly what you have before you can make that decision. Here, on BYC it seems, people make their mind up before they even give the birds a chance. They sure are missing out...

Back on track...hopefully in a few months, I might have some eggs for you..Sorry still no pics, now the sun goes down before I get home, and trying to take a good pick is close to impossible. Ill try to get one this weekend...

I will let you know if I stumble across another breeder, hopefully they wont charge an arm and a leg, some of these people out for profit on certain breeds are actually doing more damage with the outrageous prices. It forces some buyers to resort to inbreeding, who do not have the means or the time to line breed. Too bad, so many breeds are showing the results of poor breeding practices.

With the addition of the new rooster and hen I hoping to have soon, I will give them a couple of months, then start checking fertility. Theses are old enough to lay, its a atter of rehoming them. I have found the older they are when rehomed, the longer it takes for them to start laying again. I will let definitely let you know If I hear of anyone else with eggs.

Its like pulling teeth, either no one has breeding pairs, or they are just eating the eggs...Its the only breed I have ran into this problem with. I thought of the possibility of them being sent north, in the colder climate by the GFF the birds may not make it because of the climate difference of what the were originally breed for. Its possible they are just not cut out to survive in dry cold climates. I wish there was a way to do a study...Bus even here, not too many people are interested in the breed! I guess you have to own one, let it mature, then see exactly what you have before you can make that decision. Here, on BYC it seems, people make their mind up before they even give the birds a chance. They sure are missing out...

Back on track...hopefully in a few months, I might have some eggs for you..Sorry still no pics, now the sun goes down before I get home, and trying to take a good pick is close to impossible. Ill try to get one this weekend...

I do like this breed though they are fliers. They launch themselves off the coop and must go twenty feet in the air. I had specifically started with heavy breeds as they rarely go over the four foot fence.

I'm always open to an exchange of eggs if that will work too.

Mine should be laying soon. Any idea when they start to lay?

My Dels are early to mature as opposed to the C.Rocks which take more time. I've switched everyone to a higher protein feed. I'd been using a 16% feed but these birds have molted like never before. Those who are worse are getting "feather fixer" and doing better.

Anyhow these birds are friendly especially the rooster. He comes when called and will follow me around. If he sees me he comes from where ever he is.

I think folks charge what they do to try to recoup their initial investment but that rarely works. Most folks can't afford the price. I'm reluctant to charge a high price because I want to preserve the breeds. You can't find a White Holland chicken. Turkeys yes, chickens no. Whites are extinct.

I do like this breed though they are fliers. They launch themselves off the coop and must go twenty feet in the air.  I had specifically started with heavy breeds as they rarely go over the four foot fence. 

I'm always open to an exchange of eggs if that will work too.  

Mine should be laying soon.  Any idea when they start to lay?  

My Dels are early to mature as opposed to the C.Rocks which take more time. I've switched everyone to a higher protein feed. I'd been using a 16% feed but these birds have molted like never before. Those who are worse are getting "feather fixer" and doing better. 

Anyhow these birds are friendly especially the rooster. He comes when called and will follow me around. If he sees me he comes from where ever he is. 

[/quote

Mine started at about 7 months! At first there pullett eggs were so small I mistook them for Cochin bantam eggs because they were white! So they could have started sooner! Once I let all my Cochin go, I realized I was still getting the small white eggs that were slowly growing in size! MD eggs are suppose to be tinted! It wasn't until I put the hens by themselves that I realized they all were laying white eggs! They range between 1.5 oz to 1.75 oz!

I then ordered 3 dozen buttercups to hatch! The eggs are identicle to my MD! The only difference is when they hatch! The MD has the chipmunk stripes, and the BC have the Wild Chipmunk Stipes as I call them with well defined eyeliner! That is the best way I can describe their marking!

The could have started at 5 or 6 months, I'm not sure! The pullet eggs were perfectly shaped when I realized my mistake!

Last edited:
Rancher Hicks- , I was looking at the pics you posted of your MD...I would almost guess they are already laying. If you have them with other birds, you may not notice the eggs, they are really tiny at the pullet stage. I missed them completely due to having them in with my Cochin Bantam's. If I had read back to the beginning of this thread, DC Chicks made mention of the eggs being so tiny...That phrase is understated. Mine were latterly the size of a Black Japanese Bantam's egg, just a little rounder. Mine do not like their nest disturbed, and constantly move if I tamper or take their eggs, they go to another nest. If I leave their eggs alone, they keep laying in that nest. You might go looking around, they area about the same age of mine. Mine Hatched December 15th, 2014. They will also take over another hens nest, as well as if you have one who is broody, they will leave the eggs for another hen to hatch. They are not territorial, but willing give up their eggs to another hen...Go look around, I bet you have eggs and don't even realize it!

Rancher Hicks- , I was looking at the pics you posted of your MD...I would almost guess they are already laying. If you have them with other birds, you may not notice the eggs, they are really tiny at the pullet stage. I missed them completely due to having them in with my Cochin Bantam's. If I had read back to the beginning of this thread, DC Chicks made mention of the eggs being so tiny...That phrase is understated. Mine were latterly the size of a Black Japanese Bantam's egg, just a little rounder. Mine do not like their nest disturbed, and constantly move if I tamper or take their eggs, they go to another nest. If I leave their eggs alone, they keep laying in that nest. You might go looking around, they area about the same age of mine. Mine Hatched December 15th, 2014. They will also take over another hens nest, as well as if you have one who is broody, they will leave the eggs for another hen to hatch. They are not territorial, but willing give up their eggs to another hen...Go look around, I bet you have eggs and don't even realize it!
I don't have them with other birds. Just the three. I've been keeping them in the coop since they're fliers and they do go into the woods if I'm not around. The front is open so they can see out. They do like to be where I am. Too my new neighbors have a dog though I haven't seen them out.

I have a next box/bucket and will have a look. I do have a bantam cochin frizzle. Her eggs are not too small. She will turn 8 next Feb 22.

These guys should be around 6 months now that I think about it.

Don't be surprised when you find a very small egg! It takes about a month or two before they are normal medium size egg! I didn't realize it at the time but I hatched a pullet egg thinking it was a Cochin and gave it away! I go back to check on it from time to time, it's growing normally and very healthy!

Back
Top Bottom