Marsh Daisy

Ive got 5 marsh daisiy hens that look like they're of the brown variety with various defects (blue legs, single comb, red feathers) that I got a poultry swap back in april (maybe from DC's flock???) They were 8 weeks old. Supposed to be two trios, but no roosters, although one died abruptly (found underneath roost perch- I think an older egyptian fayoumis pushed her/him off).

Anyways, I think it took about 7 months, maybe more to get eggs, and yes they are small, tinted, and delicious.

I really like my MD's and want to get more. One just had eggs hatch from a black Jersey Giant which is tons of fun to watch so now I either want to breed my own line or get more MD's.

Are there any better options than getting chicks from GFF? theyre so expensive! maybe I got a deal at 12$ each.

Anyone in DC area want to get rid of a rooster that I could use to expand the line?

Last edited:
Ive got 5 marsh daisiy hens that look like they're of the brown variety with various defects (blue legs, single comb, red feathers) that I got a poultry swap back in april (maybe from DC's flock???) They were 8 weeks old. Supposed to be two trios, but no roosters, although one died abruptly (found underneath roost perch- I think an older egyptian fayoumis pushed her/him off). 

Anyways, I think it took about 7 months, maybe more to get eggs, and yes they are small, tinted, and delicious. 

I really like my MD's and want to get more. One just had eggs hatch from a black Jersey Giant which is tons of fun to watch so now I either want to breed my own line or get more MD's. 

Are there any better options than getting chicks from GFF? theyre so expensive! maybe I got a deal at 12$ each. 

Anyone in DC area want to get rid of a rooster that I could use to expand the line?

I have been playing with marsh daisy crosses since my rooster died, I found all the offspring using wheaten marans, black tailed buff, and white leghorns all look like full marsh Daises some with single combs some with pea!

It was an experiment, whether the chicks would look full blooded or not! They do, this bothers me! I think you would be better off buying from a breeder! GFF is expensive but have gone down to 29 a chick, to increase my flock I bought 6 chicks to add to my existing MD and two adults from another person near me!

Maybe ask to see the parent flock before buying your chicks! I just found the MD crosses look too much like the full bloods as chicks and adults, their combs and legs give them away!

They are fun an addictive to have around. to help promote the breed, I would start a separate pen using your ideal MD others are willing to swap and sell for reasonable cost to promote theses beautiful birds!

I have been playing with marsh daisy crosses since my rooster died, I found all the offspring using wheaten marans, black tailed buff, and white leghorns all look like full marsh Daises some with single combs some with pea!

It was an experiment, whether the chicks would look full blooded or not! They do, this bothers me!

I had a poultry judge tell me that he had judged as many as 100 white Plymouth Rock pullets at big poultry shows. He said at first they all look the same but then when you start to look for specific things they don't look alike at all. This may be a good time for the March Daisy breeders to start to discuss the specific traits that distinguish the Marsh Daisy breed. Once you know what to look for you will be able to spot a real Marsh Daisy from a cross breed pretty quickly. You also will be able to pick out what in your flock is a good example of the breed and what isn't.

As far as sources for Marsh Daisy, the lack of activity on this thread, the lack of ebay auctions for Marsh Daisy hatching eggs, the lack of auctions on Rarebreedauctions.com for Marsh Daisy, etc. tells me that there aren't many people that are working with Marsh Daisy's. To have a successful breeding program with the Marsh Daisy you probably need to be hatching at least 100 chicks a years. The Marsh Daisy is a breed that has been rare since it was first introduce to the world many, many decades ago. It has never had a larger group of breeder working on it and I thought that it would go extinct before it ever had a chance to make its way to the USA. The lack of breeds has made it quality suffer so to get back on the right track large grow out group and deep culling will be required. The birds in the UK are a long way from the original quality and intent of the breed and the stock in the USA is behind what is available the UK. Yes, Greenfire is expensive. If you can find a private breeder that has better stock and a better price then go that route, but as the original importers, Greenfire appears to be the only Farm in the USA that is currently vested in the Marsh Daisy, so you will probably be a lot better off in the long run and happier going that route than getting stock for someone that is only half vested in the breed and making no notable improvements with their flock.

I had a poultry judge tell me that he had judged as many as 100 white Plymouth Rock pullets at big poultry shows. He said at first they all look the same but then when you start to look for specific things they don't look alike at all. This may be a good time for the March Daisy breeders to start to discuss the specific traits that distinguish the Marsh Daisy breed. Once you know what to look for you will be able to spot a real Marsh Daisy from a cross breed pretty quickly. You also will be able to pick out what in your flock is a good example of the breed and what isn't.

As far as sources for Marsh Daisy, the lack of activity on this thread, the lack of ebay auctions for Marsh Daisy hatching eggs, the lack of auctions on Rarebreedauctions.com for Marsh Daisy, etc. tells me that there aren't many people that are working with Marsh Daisy's. To have a successful breeding program with the Marsh Daisy you probably need to be hatching at least 100 chicks a years. The Marsh Daisy is a breed that has been rare since it was first introduce to the world many, many decades ago. It has never had a larger group of breeder working on it and I thought that it would go extinct before it ever had a chance to make its way to the USA. The lack of breeds has made it quality suffer so to get back on the right track large grow out group and deep culling will be required. The birds in the UK are a long way from the original quality and intent of the breed and the stock in the USA is behind what is available the UK. Yes, Greenfire is expensive. If you can find a private breeder that has better stock and a better price then go that route, but as the original importers, Greenfire appears to be the only Farm in the USA that is currently vested in the Marsh Daisy, so you will probably be a lot better off in the long run and happier going that route than getting stock for someone that is only half vested in the breed and making no notable improvements with their flock.

You are so right, I really wish there were more breeders! They give up quickly for some reason, I have noticed those that do have them want to get rid of them by the time they are 4 months old. They do not know what they are missing. I think I have become obsessed with the breed. Right now all I have been breeding are the Marsh Daisy crossed with cermani for a friend of mine with predator problems. The goal it to give them a better chance at night for survival, as solid black birds, and as flighty as they are they would do well in wooded and marsh areas, which i have plenty around here for them to strive in. If the egg production remains the same, they will do great along the coastline of Cameron, LA. which is now over ran with coyotes and white owls. With most of the people gone now due to the Hurricane Rita and Katrina, the wildlife are taking over. Anyway.... With my new rooster that arrived today, no more crossing. I am still a novice and leaning something new ever day about them. Now with the new rooster addition I can actively start breeding them again to see what they can produce. So far their egg production has far exceeded my expectations. They are keeping up with my leghorns and are the only two breeds still producing eggs even with such short day light hours. I have found they are not instinctive mothers. They are not broody, and would rather let another hen hatch their clutch. I still have to look at pictures constantly to compare mine to..I am getting a litter better everyday, but far from being perfect.

Well mine have finally started to lay. Since they're from May/June and their combs looked good I switched them to a layer feed. Eggs are brown, not as whitish as I thought they'd be.

Since no one offered to take them to breed, I'm keeping them for now. One taker only wanted the hens and while she was willing to pay the same price for the Trio, I still say no sale.

They are friendly and I think like to forage rather than eat from a feeder. I've been keeping them inside because they wander unless I call them and stay outside with them.

I plan to build them a coop with a large covered run into the woods. Something like this but uncovered so things can grow through it. Only covered with poultry wire cloth. Locking them up at night as is my current modus operandi. I won't be setting eggs until spring at least. Who here hatches eggs? I will be offering eggs at some point, as long as I have these.

I think what may be a downside to MD's is the egg size is small and the birds themselves are not big in the eating department.

How do they do in the winter? I don't heat my coop and I just have the three. I'm considering sticking three young Delaware pullets in with them. Dels get along with just about anyone.

Well mine have finally started to lay. Since they're from May/June and their combs looked good I switched them to a layer feed. Eggs are brown, not as whitish as I thought they'd be.

Since no one offered to take them to breed, I'm keeping them for now. One taker only wanted the hens and while she was willing to pay the same price for the Trio, I still say no sale.

If you ever change your mind I would be more than happy to take them off your hands....All of them! Just offering....

They are friendly and I think like to forage rather than eat from a feeder. I've been keeping them inside because they wander unless I call them and stay outside with them.

I plan to build them a coop with a large covered run into the woods. Something like this but uncovered so things can grow through it. Only covered with poultry wire cloth. Locking them up at night as is my current modus operandi. I won't be setting eggs until spring at least. Who here hatches eggs? I will be offering eggs at some point, as long as I have these.

I think what may be a downside to MD's is the egg size is small and the birds themselves are not big in the eating department.

Don't let the small size fool you....As pullets the eggs are extremely small .5-.75 oz if you are lucky extra small salad egg...At about 12 months they increase to a decent 1 to 1.5 oz med egg give them time, you will like the eggs and quantity you receive

How do they do in the winter? I don't heat my coop and I just have the three. I'm considering sticking three young Delaware pullets in with them. Dels get along with just about anyone.

Mine do great in cold wet weather. They were bred for the cold wet marshy areas of England, if your up north, you only have to deal with the dry cold. I would watch for respiratory issues, I would not expect it. The longer they are in your climate, their offspring that survive the worst weather conditions will adapt quickly until your losses are almost none. I would expect a 50% loss on your first years hatchlings. Just so your not disappointed, the second breeding season you might experience a 10-20% loss, and the longer they become acclimated to your climate...the better they adapt, and the less you lose to sickness. So don't give up, protect your starter flock and they will make you happy...

I heat all of my coops, but the MD stay away from the heat lamps. As long as they are out of the wind and direct rain, I think they will do fine. My do not really care or the heat, or the red lamps as long as they have a nesting box they are happy.

I really hope you hold onto yours long enough to see what is so special about them, but if you ever feed the need to re-home them I would be happy to take all you have! All jokes aside!

Congrats on your eggs!!!!!!!

I can attest my eggs got bigger as they grew older just as they themselves grow slow, taking time to fill out boxy.

Rancher Hicks- Im in DC so I might be able to meet up with you once a year or so, exchange eggs, roosters, hens, etc if youre interested.

Jennie- Im interested in the cermani MD cross. What might you call them? Are there other birds you considered using for your cross? How did you come to those choices. The cermani might be a little expensive for me...

Ive stumbled in a crossbreed of my own. My recently passed black jersey giant now lives on 7 chicks he had with my Marsh Daisies. I only have a bantam rooster now, so my hens are in need of more protection. Ih hopeful these roosters will be big, smart, and protective. Now, Im also considering breeding them back with my other MD hens. What do you think about this? Didnt plan this so dont want to be too married to this idea/plan.

Thanks.

I can attest my eggs got bigger as they grew older just as they themselves grow slow, taking time to fill out boxy. 

Rancher Hicks- Im in DC so I might be able to meet up with you once a year or so, exchange eggs, roosters, hens, etc if youre interested. 

Jennie- Im interested in the cermani MD cross. What might you call them? Are there other birds you considered using for your cross? How did you come to those choices. The cermani might be a little expensive for me... 

I call the cross cermani Daisies, I sat and watched a big barn owl one nigh looking into my pen it's about 60x60. The other breeds I have were being followed and stalked branch to branch! The cermani moved about un noticed, even getting with in a foot of one owl who swooped down hit the fence and rolled everyone scattered

The quickest was the marsh Daises they vanished, the cermani hid against the coop wall. The owls couldn't get a fix on them, they blended I black shadow on top of a dark ground this is where the idea started! I love the eggs my md is producing and how self sufficient they are, I love the temperament too! In a way my goal is to produce a bird with great survival skills and good egg production that might be camoflauge by the night. The cermani are not agressive but do not back down when confronted they are arrogant and very sure of themselves I am hoping this trait is passed down to for instinctive protectiveness

Ive stumbled in a crossbreed of my own. My recently passed black jersey giant now lives on 7 chicks he had with my Marsh Daisies. I only have a bantam rooster now, so my hens are in need of more protection. Ih hopeful these roosters will be big, smart, and protective. Now, Im also considering breeding them back with my other MD hens. What do you think about this? Didnt plan this so dont want to be too married to this idea/plan. 

As MDG you might have giant pets under your feet as long as your outside once yiur out of sight they may wander! The weight may slow them down, preventing them from escaping predators but that depends if the predator is in the air or on the ground . By air they are probably safe if thy reach 10-12 lbs by ground anything over 12 lbs might not be able to fly out of harms way!

They also like to fly up and perch on your shoulder, a small child might get hurt by a 12 lb hen sitting on its shoulder! Just food for thought about your current surroundings and needs

It's a 50/50 chance depends on your existing predator problem the mix could help or hurt depending on how they are housed, but I do like the idea

Thanks.

We are quite a bit apart. When they are old enough for hatching I'll let everyone know and ship half dozen eggs at a time since I have only two hens with a three day window folks should get them before their max window viability.

I've never lost a bird to the cold. Warm and damp but not the cold.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom