Mass inflamation and I dont think its bumblefoot (picture included)

justadude

In the Brooder
Oct 8, 2023
Hello, we got Rhode Island Red chickens for the first time and in the past couple weeks her feet have been getting bigger and bigger on both feet. At first I thought it was just genetic but as they got bigger and bigger I knew something was wrong and I learned that chickens get bumblefoot. Further inspecting her feet, I did not see any blackhead like openings.

I read many articles, watched many videos, and decided to do the operation. I cut one foot open and found nothing, no smell, no solified kernals, no noticeable hard spots so I just put triple antibiotic cream in her wound and patched her back up defeated and emotionally exhausted.

I plan on calling around tomorrow for a poultry vet because I want to know what is happening to her and want to save her if its not already too late.

If anyone has any idea on what this may be, anything I can do, advice I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thank you

Attachments

• Resized_20231008_180923.jpeg
    Resized_20231008_180923.jpeg
    212.6 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Welcome To BYC

Where are you located in the world?

Can you get photos of her standing up?

How old is the hen?
Do you know what her diet was before you got her?

I'd lean towards this being Gout, but let's see what @dawg53 and @Eggcessive may suggest.
I'm located in Washington State, so its humid and wet here most of the time. They free range nearly everyday, I'll get photos of her standing up asap if she will walk, shes around 3 years old and we got her when she was just a chick, couldnt tell you what she was eating then.

Her diet now is Purina Layer pellets, and we feed them baked chicken eggs once a week. All other 16 chickens are healthy and fine, but this one is not.

Thank you for clarifying it may be gout, the internet is riddled with it always being bumblefoot. I will start to research that. Thank you so much for a response.

Yes, it's gout. A change in diet ie less protein and cherry extract for long term treatment may help.
I have an older rooster that has gout that hobbles along. It's worse with cold temps.
I started treatment but stopped because it's constant treatment and I didnt see any improvement, and his age is a factor.
He acts normal other than hobbling along.

Last edited:
Yes, that is pretty obvious gout. The tart cherry extract capsules that Dawg53 mentioned, is something that some use for both people and chickens. It won’t hurt, but it is something to try in case it helps the pain from walking. Dosage is 2 capsules daily, I think. They sell it in WalMart, CVS, and on Amazon in various strength capsules and drops. Does she lay eggs? There are many possible reasons for the articular form of gout. Here is a link to read about that:
https://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/gout-management-in-poultry

Thank you guys very much! I spent hours last night scavenging these forums, there is very limited resources on how to deal with this, there are a maximum of 2 videos I could find on gout on youtube, all being explained in Hindi.

Long story short the key takeways I got from these forums and poultrydvm was,
1. Tart Cherry Extract for relief
2. Low Protein diet
3. Vitamin A (which I will supplement through carrots)

I'm also looking into allopurinol to see if that is a possibility. It breaks my heart that I may not be able to help her but nothing will sway me from trying my best.

Thank you very much once again

Yes, it's gout. A change in diet ie less protein and cherry extract for long term treatment may help.
I have an older rooster that has gout that hobbles along. It's worse with cold temps.
I started treatment but stopped because it's constant treatment and I didnt see any improvement, and his age is a factor.
He acts normal other than hobbling along.
Thank you very much for your input, it sounds like the cherry extract is hit or miss but I will definitely try it.

Yes, that is pretty obvious gout. The tart cherry extract capsules that Dawg53 mentioned, is something that some use for both people and chickens. It won’t hurt, but it is something to try in case it helps the pain from walking. Dosage is 2 capsules daily, I think. They sell it in WalMart, CVS, and on Amazon in various strength capsules and drops. Does she lay eggs? There are many possible reasons for the articular form of gout. Here is a link to read about that:
https://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/gout-management-in-poultry
She is not currently laying but she has been through a ton of stress as of recent circumstances in the past 3 days. I've seen your contributions to this topic in many other forums and I really appreciate it, whats strange is all other 16 chickens eat the same diet and have been fine and she is the only one with gout.

I will try to give her special care and try the 1200mg tart cherry cherry mixed in with water and report back here. Thank you very much

Hello, we got Rhode Island Red chickens for the first time and in the past couple weeks her feet have been getting bigger and bigger on both feet. At first I thought it was just genetic but as they got bigger and bigger I knew something was wrong and I learned that chickens get bumblefoot. Further inspecting her feet, I did not see any blackhead like openings.

I read many articles, watched many videos, and decided to do the operation. I cut one foot open and found nothing, no smell, no solified kernals, no noticeable hard spots so I just put triple antibiotic cream in her wound and patched her back up defeated and emotionally exhausted.

I plan on calling around tomorrow for a poultry vet because I want to know what is happening to her and want to save her if its not already too late.

If anyone has any idea on what this may be, anything I can do, advice I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thank you
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/mycoplasmosis/mycoplasma-synoviae-infection-in-poultry

Have you had any respiratory type illness in your flock?

Back
Top Bottom