Matilda is going to lose her feet. :(

@Sydney65 , I apologize that I didn't see your most recent posts until now. How are Nomie and Willow coming along? I was also wondering if Willow is tolerating and mobile in her new shoes?
šŸ¤£ Willow had the shoes off within an hour, so I changed course on that. Both get their feet dressed with manuka honey hydrocolloid dressings and then wrapped with 1" wrap. Not sure about pet wrap, but the wrap I bought is waterproof and keeping sites clean.
Nomie- stump is doing well. The demarcation line of the other foot is quite clear at base of toes but no sign of coming off yet. It should be a clean break at base of all toes. Hopefully when it does happen it will be with more healing underneath than the 1st, given the amt of time it is staying on (just going into week #7, much longer than what seems the typical). I haven't fussed with her to take recent pics, but the right looks almost the same since before the left came off, except the demarcation is deeper set in and no redness.
20240208_195206_1.jpg
Willow- I'm not sure what Willow's will do. She still has some blood flow to her feet & toes bc they bleed a bit sometimes if irritated from activity.
The hydrocolloid drsgs don't have to be changed daily unless there's drainage, and we've not had that. She hasn't sloughed off all of the necrotic tissue on her feet, but from the ankles up, it has all sloughed off. So I *think* she'll lose part if not all of some toes but not the total loss that Nomie has. Like Matilda, the bottom of her feet seem intact. 20240220_134945.jpg 20240220_134923.jpg
How they're doing-
debating on discontinuing amoxicillin today- they've been getting it for 3 weeks in their water. Part of me wants to cont, part doesn't want to destroy their natural flora.
I also add flock leader Recover 911, so they've been getting probiotics, prebiotics, electrolytes, oregano, vitamins and plasma in that. I knew antibiotics would nullify pre/probiotics but the rest was needed in the beginning and will rebuild good bacteria once antibiotics are stopped.
Both are eating and drinking well.
We had a warm day over the weekend so took them outside,feet wrapped Willow in a covered kennel, kept Nomie in her crate. The others seemed to recognize Willow & I eventually let her out to enjoy a dust bath in garden without any problems. She then walked around with the others before returning to coop and perching. That was 1st time I noticed some bleeding, so too much at once,but she enjoyed it and had a nice soak when we came in.
Took both outside to kennel yesterday. Both handle balancing and walking well even with dressings. Nomie proceeded to shadow box with her sibblings on outside of kennel (I have base wired with hard cloth so they are safe from injury).
Given the ease of crawling into kennel and scooping both of them up, they were tired by the time we went in, but content and snuggled into my arms.
I'll try to get new pics next dressing change simply because when going through it, it's a big help to have those references. Dressing changes aren't necessarily difficult, but more challenging when only one person is doing them, hence the shortage of recent photos.
* re the shoes- Willow did take them off and I didn't bother reapplying. But I have several pair bc the 1st time I used them, it was to protect my boy's feet from an avid toe pecker. Since he was still in the coop and free ranging, I changed them often and then washed,sterilized, dried, etc. The onces I have are made of neoprene, and have come in handy a few times. A great thing to have in 1st aid kit.

Last edited:
I admire how much effort you are making to take care of your birds. I know how hard it is, and sometimes, it feels as if they will NEVER recover, which is discouraging.

But, as you said, they are eating and drinking well, and enjoying some field trips. All of that is remarkably good! You are a great chicken parent!!

Warning- bloody
Took some pics while doing tx today. I let Nomie have a epsom soak. She enjoyed it, but scab came off afterwards. I put it back on for awile as it stopped the bleeding, and there was quite a bit of that, so not sure the soak was a good idea. Thought I took pic with scab on, but apparently not. Remember, tx, guinea, & pic taking while solo is difficult! 20240227_141210.jpg
The right foot, likewise, has begun the process of separating. 20240227_123034.jpg
She's redressed and recuperating.
Willow: 20240227_130738.jpg 20240227_130759.jpg
Willow lost very edge of waddles, but they were totally white. You can see she's starting to get some pink back.

Don't know what the right emoji would be for your post. Not sure there's one that fits when things look awful but there's progress being made..

My avian vet had me soaking Eleanor's feet twice daily with Epsom salts for weeks and weeks. I don't think she ever bled that much, but there was some blood when a scab separated a bit too soon. As you've said, bleeding at least means there's blood flow. That means there's hope.

Yours are still at the omigosh-it-looks-horrific stage, but EVENTUALLY all the dead tissue will peel away, and your chickens will learn to adjust to their 'new" feet. It sounds like they both have strong survival instincts -- and a very caring nurse!

8 wks, 3 days post frost bite:
Nomie's left stump has completely healed, just in time for the other foot to self amputate. The demarcation line was lower than the left, so once it heals up, she'll have a little more heel than on the left. It didn't bleed much at all this time (last time I think she snagged it on the towel before it was ready, and it bled a lot) so I anticipate it to heal up faster. As you can see, she has mastered standing and today using the new stump rather than hopping on the healed one and no longer using wings to balance. (Young lavender).
Willow (coral blue) still has both feet and all toes, necrotic tissue continues to gradually peel off. The pads of her feet look great. I'm still not sure what her toes will do. There is still red blood in the quicks of toenails, but some toes are stiff & immovable. All are black, but her natural leg/foot coloring prior to frostbite was black. After necrotic tissue sloughed off, her legs are white.
Willow is sporting shoes today, though I cut the toes off the shoes so as to not force the stiff toes and risk breaking them. She wasn't happy at first, but think she's found the padding to be comfy and shoes less restrictive than dressings. It's been nice enough that they are able to spend time out in covered kennel in the sunshine with the flock nearby, getting reaquainted.

20240313_124704.jpg 20240313_124643.jpg 20240313_124711.jpg 20240313_124706.jpg

11 weeks-Both girls returned to the flock yesterday. They get the coop overnight along with a few calmer birds, while the rest aresleeping in the enclosed run, bc I have a few aggressive birds this season.
Nomie is completely healed and though shorter and moving more slowly, is keeping her balance now. Her brooder mates are feisty, so she still tends to hover near Willow,me, or camouflaged.
Willow ended up losing the tips of some toes. She still has some very hard, fixed necrotic tissue at the top base of and on her toes, so I am continuing tx to keep them moist and she does her part pecking it off. Tissue beneath is live and healthy.
She's more active with the older portion of flock (her brooder mates), happy to be back with them, and keeps up quite well. When she needs a break, her mate stands over and guards her.
Thanks for the coaching and cheering sections!

Back
Top Bottom