mature cornish cross . . . lol!

KatyTheChickenLady

Bird of A Different Feather
11 Years
Dec 20, 2008
Boise, Idaho
Over the weekend I aquired a pair of 8 month old cornish cross birds. I about fell over when I went to lift them out of the crate! They weigh about 20 lbs each. My guess is they survived the inclination to overeat and die because the people turned them out to free range with no feed supplements at about 8 weeks of age. There is no question of their inability to breed the male is just too heavy and his leggs are too short. The female is laying a large brown egg a day.
My question is this; how much do I feed them? I can't free range them because my Ameraucana roos for some reason want to kill this poor fat boy. They have to go into one of my breeding pens which have free choice feeders - which they have had their heads stuck in for the last three days. If I allow this to continue they will obviously over eat and die.
Any diet for life advice?

19992_cornish_cross004.jpg

Last edited:
For some of my more mature hens I have to measure out feed. Put it in a pan and when the yeat it all that's it. I also give them veggies to pick at. I do Broccoli Pinata for them (hang a bunch of briccoli on a string/wire from the ceiling) that keeps them busy.

I dont kno whwy but i find these birds fascinating. Probably because i dont know enough about them. Are you going to try to bred them?

no the male is to heavy and short to breed the hen . . . I doubt she could hold him either. They are what is considered a terminal cross and would not breed true anyway. They get these by crossing white rocks to cornish.
theya re really sweet, and I find it interesting that the males body type is so similar to the females.

Last edited:
I heard about someone giving them low doses of aspirin to prevent heart attacks and leg problems; they were intrigued by meat breed's personalities too.

Back
Top Bottom