mature cornish cross . . . lol!

Hi Katy,

I just saw your post, that is great! I don't know much about the crosses but I have heard that they need a very restricted diet. Maybe someone knows how much feed an average bird eats and then that is all I would feed each one.
Put one of your roos in with her that you want to cross and I bet you get fertile eggs. A great start!

I have been TRYING to call you to tell you to come see them!
that is what I am hoping for someone to tell me how much feed they need to stay alive.
I can't imagine what I would breed to her??? anything bigger would be jsut rediculous and anything smaller might cause problems with the chicks . . . can you imagine little regular chicken legs under one of these?

Quote:
I know you said it was crowing but I still don't belive it's a hen. How long has the other one been laying? It is possible for hens to crow and I've had those king of hens try to fight roos before. Are your roos just after that one, or both of them?

I really don't know what to tell you about the exact amount of feed, I just gave mine some layer crumbles in the morning, I gave them enough so they would have it all eaten by the end of the day, but enough to last them a while, then I gave a little corn once or twice a day. Nothing but free choice corn might work.

As far as their life expectancy, they're really born to die, the actuall broilers that are raised on high protein feed to be butchered at processing plants would grow to large for their bodies to support them and die soon if they weren't killed at the young age they are butchered at. In the breeder houses, they only keep them for one season, usually about 8 mos. On a well managed diet they may live a little longer but I believe they lay out early and are not worth keeping very long.

Quote:
I don't think it would hurt to breed them with a normal roo, they ones that I hatched from breeding them with a Buff Orp and RIR rooster, turned out the look great, they were heavy but proportional and their heavier size make them look really pretty even as young birds growing up, they don't look scrawny like some of the normal breeds, and you would get great meat birds from crossing with them.

Good god, they're chicken tanks!

Don't have any advice for you, but I wanted to say those are some pretty amazing birds, and they remind me of the white chicken lady in Disney's version of "Robin Hood." You know, Maid Marion's handmaiden that was knocking down rhinos during the archery contest.

I wish that I could offer some advice. I own the same type of birds but my birds free range. My girls feel like they weigh about 20lbs as well. I got them when they were about 8 weeks old. They are now about a year old and they are doing GREAT!!! They free range all day, so I only feed them one time a day. I only feed them laying pellets. They lay huge eggs on a daily basis. The only thing is that they are housed with my Barred Rocks and New Hampshire Reds and they all eat from the feeders, so I don't know how much they eat. The eat plenty of grass, bugs, veggies, rice and healthy snacks. They look so funny running out of the pen when I open it up. They think they can fly and take out running heading to the back porch.

You may just have to experiment and try your best to come up with a feeding program for them. You are NOT wasting your time with these birds. If you want to keep them around (like I do) just feed them and take good care of them. Many people told me that my girls would only last a few months. Well, it's almost a year and they are in perfect shape and health. No problems! I wouldn't try to breed them due to their legs may give out on them.

Quote:
thank you, your right I should just use my head . . . i was just so overwhelmed with such a different situation. I guess I have to do some thinking!

Back
Top Bottom