May 2020 Hatch-A-Long

I'm so surprised to hear that JG was less than an EE! Ive been wanting to get JG just to see how they do in meat... Currently I have a Brahma Roo, a RIR hybrid roo, and I believe a freedom ranger roo. Man that freedom ranger is heavy with massive legs and breast! I have 3 of his sons with me still, almost 4 months old and they're massive boys. I don't hear much about people using freedom rangers, but man I'm impressed by how fast his kids grew and packed on weight. I have pics of you're interested.
Cross breed chooks will always grow faster than pure breeds.

Hi all...so we are now on day 22 and nothing is happening. No internal pips (that I can see) no external pips either. If anything the incubator has been a little on the warm side and the last 48 hours particularly has been really hard to keep the temp down. What I can see is that all the eggs are tipped downward away from the airsac and are very heavy. Pic included for reference. One had a crack that we waxed and was moving before lockdown. All 5 had movement on day 18/19 but nothing happening since. Oh those airsac marks were from day 14, all are about 20% larger than that now. Advice?View attachment 2158749

What kind of incubator are you using? What did you set your humidity at? And what day of the week did you actually set them on? The day you set the eggs in the incubator is actually day zero and the day of the week you set them (either Sunday or Monday) should be the same day of that week that they start to hatch 3 weeks later.

So the first Silkie has hatched! Looks like she’s a lavender. She’s super active and trying to come out and see us. Knocking all the other eggs all over the place, trying to convince them to join her.:love
A2CD39FE-BB08-4BF6-9731-6EC538703A10.jpeg

What kind of incubator are you using? What did you set your humidity at? And what day of the week did you actually set them on? The day you set the eggs in the incubator is actually day zero and the day of the week you set them (either Sunday or Monday) should be the same day of that week that they start to hatch 3 weeks later.
Temp has between 37 and 41c. Humidity between 45 and 60 for the first 18 days then up between 65 and 75 since then. They were set 3 weeks ago yesterday. Using an HHD 24 with an extra temp/hygrometer to ensure consistency.

Temp has between 37 and 41c. Humidity between 45 and 60 for the first 18 days then up between 65 and 75 since then. They were set 3 weeks ago yesterday. Using an HHD 24 with an extra temp/hygrometer to ensure consistency.

Ok, I don't have first hand experience with an HHD but I would lower the humidity to no more than 60-65 for hatch. I'm usually very cautious of seeing condensation build up on the plastic because that's usually a sign to me that the humidity is too high. If condensation can build up on the plastic, it can also build up inside the shell. From people I have spoken to that have used that incubator, the humidity and temp can be very touchy. Are you using a calibrated secondary thermometer/hygrometer as well?

Since there aren't any external pips it's fine to open the incubator and candle them now. Let us know what you see! The air cell should have drawn down for hatch by now and you would also hopefully be able to see an internal pip like the images below.

Day 20 Air Cell Drawing Down for Hatch.jpg
5-10-20 Internally pipped peachick.JPG

@
Hi all...so we are now on day 22 and nothing is happening. No internal pips (that I can see) no external pips either. If anything the incubator has been a little on the warm side and the last 48 hours particularly has been really hard to keep the temp down. What I can see is that all the eggs are tipped downward away from the airsac and are very heavy. Pic included for reference. One had a crack that we waxed and was moving before lockdown. All 5 had movement on day 18/19 but nothing happening since. Oh those airsac marks were from day 14, all are about 20% larger than that now. Advice?View attachment 2158749
i would candle one and see if there’s movement or an internal pip

@

i would candle one and see if there’s movement or an internal pip

OK so have candled all of them. Two look like they might be moving/pipped, one has some very dark blotchy marks (kinda look like burns?), one I can see nothing going on at all and the last one now has another smaller air sac on the bottom that has appeared at some point since day 18?

Back
Top Bottom