May 2020 Hatch-A-Long

OK so have candled all of them. Two look like they might be moving/pipped, one has some very dark blotchy marks (kinda look like burns?), one I can see nothing going on at all and the last one now has another smaller air sac on the bottom that has appeared at some point since day 18?
Those are bruises meaning the chick hit a vein trying to come out.

I *think* my little huge air celled egg has internally pipped, or was preparing to do so this morning when I candled. Extremely hard to see in that egg (you’d think it would be easier with such a huge air cell) but since it’s on the side you get all the limb movement shadows in there too. It’s a ridiculously active baby in there. I can see a definite bill moving in chewing motions too, so my guess is I have an early pipper who just happens to be quiet and not peeping. Lol. I’ll check again when I get home tonight, and if I can get a pic I will. :)

Questions! So four of the silkies have hatched, there are 15 eggs in the Brinsea Max II, they are quickly running out of room. I have another empty incubator running for the past day. Plan was to move chicks over as they hatch to make room for the others. It would literally take 5 seconds to move each over. Do I need to have a certain humidity in the "drying" incubator? When can I do this safely? Do I have to wait until they are completely dry, I am running out of space! Thanks!:)

Questions! So four of the silkies have hatched, there are 15 eggs in the Brinsea Max II, they are quickly running out of room. I have another empty incubator running for the past day. Plan was to move chicks over as they hatch to make room for the others. It would literally take 5 seconds to move each over. Do I need to have a certain humidity in the "drying" incubator? When can I do this safely? Do I have to wait until they are completely dry, I am running out of space! Thanks!:)

No need to add water to an incubator that you're using just to dry off chicks that have already hatched. I personally like to move chicks right after another chick hatches in the hatching incubator because the really wet, newly hatched chick will cause the humidity to spike and it returns to normal much more quickly for any chicks that may be externally pipped.

No need to add water to an incubator that you're using just to dry off chicks that have already hatched. I personally like to move chicks right after another chick hatches in the hatching incubator because the really wet, newly hatched chick will cause the humidity to spike and it returns to normal much more quickly for any chicks that may be externally pipped.
Thanks! :love 2 more have hatched. Left them in and moved over the other 4! Perfect! My 12 year old daughter and I are up all night watching the whole process (and watching anime in between). 3:15 am here! This is so much fun!:)

Hi all...so we are now on day 22 and nothing is happening. No internal pips (that I can see) no external pips either. If anything the incubator has been a little on the warm side and the last 48 hours particularly has been really hard to keep the temp down. What I can see is that all the eggs are tipped downward away from the airsac and are very heavy. Pic included for reference. One had a crack that we waxed and was moving before lockdown. All 5 had movement on day 18/19 but nothing happening since. Oh those airsac marks were from day 14, all are about 20% larger than that now. Advice?View attachment 2158749
I would be candling them, looking for internal pips, movement, etc. There's no possibility you'll dry them out if they're not even externally pipped (but I would candle even if they were...)

My first six finally hatched! I started with 24 eggs in lockdown 2 i don’t think are gonna hatch cause on popped don the wrong side and the other is a full term set of twins but everyone is is internally pipped and ready to get out

I have had quite a few pip the wrong end and still hatch okay. I wouldn't write that one off quite yet.

Back
Top Bottom