May 2023 Hatch-a-long

Pics
Okay I decided to pull one egg into its own incubator, because I determined the air cell isn't large enough and candling it didn't look like it was quite ready for lockdown yet. Its air cell had almost no slope to it whatsoever, and is notably smaller than the other 3 eggs of the same breed.

It's been a dry incubation up until this point so I'm worried about drowning it now that I'm bumping up humidity. Hopefully making the right call here. I feel a little silly since there are several dark eggs that I don't have a bright enough light to peek inside, but if it makes a difference for this one then it'll be worth it <3

EDIT: never mind, I candled it again when I took it out and the tip was completely dark. Okay fine, so you are ready for lockdown? Now you guys are locked down I swear I'm hands off now pinky promise!!!!

Last edited:
I have my first external pip! So exciting!!! I love hearing the little cheeps. <3

Double checking my dates, I put the eggs in the incubator at 5pm on the 18th. So the completion of day 1 would happen 24 hours later, at 5pm on the 19th, correct?

That would mean yesterday at 5pm would have been the completion of day 18. I discovered the pip (which is in the correct end) at 4:30am. Which means It's been pretty much exactly 18.5 days from first being placed in the incubator until external pip.

I know people say 21 days is just a guideline but that's wild to me! Could this chick perhaps have genetics of earlier hatching? It's not a bantam, it's a maran.

Attachments

• PXL_20230508_113639144.jpg
    PXL_20230508_113639144.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 2
I have my first external pip! So exciting!!! I love hearing the little cheeps. <3

Double checking my dates, I put the eggs in the incubator at 5pm on the 18th. So the completion of day 1 would happen 24 hours later, at 5pm on the 19th, correct?

That would mean yesterday at 5pm would have been the completion of day 18. I discovered the pip (which is in the correct end) at 4:30am. Which means It's been pretty much exactly 18.5 days from first being placed in the incubator until external pip.

I know people say 21 days is just a guideline but that's wild to me! Could this chick perhaps have genetics of earlier hatching? It's not a bantam, it's a maran.
basically if you set them on a Tue they should hatch on Tue. So Tue would be day 21. so today is day 20 and tomorrow is day 21

but I have had some hatch on day 19 and 20 and they are perfectly fine.

basically if you set them on a Tue they should hatch on Tue. So Tue would be day 21. so today is day 20 and tomorrow is day 21

but I have had some hatch on day 19 and 20 and they are perfectly fine.
I thought the day you put them in counts as day 0? And it hasn't been day 1 unless it's been 24 hours since you put them in?

It seems I'm getting conflicting info about how to count the days...

EDIT: Okay I see where I went wrong. I was counting weeks, not days. I thought if Wednesday is day 1, then next Wednesday is day 7. But when I made myself count each individual day, the next Wednesday would be day 8.

Thanks for correcting me so I know for next time!

Last edited:
I thought the day you put them in counts as day 0? And it hasn't been day 1 unless it's been 24 hours since you put them in?

It seems I'm getting conflicting info about how to count the days...
It can seem confusing until you realise it's just regular counting.

Today is Monday. 1 day from now will be tomorrow (Tuesday), 2 days from now will be Wednesday etc. so if you keep counting like that, then 7 days from now is next Monday. 14 days from now is the following Monday. 21 days from now would also be a Monday.

If you set them on Tuesday the 18th at 5pm, 21 days from then would be tomorrow, Tuesday the 9th, at 5pm. Of course, they're not all going to hatch at exactly 5pm tomorrow. You could expect some to hatch several hours before or after that point. So you may get some that don't hatch until later on Wednesday but you may get some hatching earlier on Tuesday morning or even during Monday night.

I have limited experience with just 4 hatches but they have all been similar. The time from the first chick to hatch to the last chick to hatch has usually spanned about a 20 -30 hour period, with the midway point being roughly around the time they were set. The earliest I've ever had was 20 days and 3 hours after being set and the latest I've ever had was 21 days and 20 hours after being set.

Last edited:

The 2 maran mixes in my last batch were my first born on day 20. I think those guys are just in a hurry lol that's how they act as full grown chickens too in my opinion

I also had to do weird math to figure out my days last batch because I put them in at 3pm! This time I decided to save myself a little trouble and put them in at 8am 😆

I have limited experience with just 4 hatches but they have all been similar. The time from the first chick to hatch to the last chick to hatch has usually spanned about a 20 -30 hour period, with the midway point being roughly around the time they were set. The earliest I've ever had was 20 days and 3 hours after being set and the latest I've ever had was 21 days and 20 hours after being set.
This will be my second hatch. My first hatch spanned 50 hours from when the first one hatched to when the last one hatched!

Back
Top Bottom