May Hatch-a-Long!

Pics
I know almost everyone on here is wrapping up their May hatches but I am just about to get started I have eggs arriving (today hopefully
fl.gif
) Tomorrow, Thursday and Saturday. I also just ordered more so now I will have 34 quail eggs, 12+ polish, 12+ Ameraucana, 6+ silkie/sizzle, 6 EE's, and 6+ Delawares
ep.gif
th.gif
yippiechickie.gif

My 2 ducks were suppose to hatch today but they are running a little behind. One is really rocking though, so I think it's getting close. After these hatch, I plan to put in a few more duck eggs.

Whoot!!! We have fuzzy butts!
bun.gif

Out of the 7 we set, we've got 3 so far, and I see pips on all but one of the other eggs.

I have one with a really strange pip and or zip, and some that have been chillin' with their pips for a while (like past 24 hrs). They may not make it.

Very excited over the ones we have. The kiddos got to watch one kick out, which was awesome! They've been having fun naming them too.

I love hatching eggs in the classroom. Ours just hatched today too, and it's been very exciting. I live an apt, and can't keep mine, but I'm able to find someone local to give them too.

If you want to do it again, I recommend the Brinsea (we have a mini advanced). I struggled with an LG in the classroom for years before saving the school funds for the Brinsea, and I'm glad I did. Runs smooth, and I can set and forget. It will even stop turning on day 19 for me. I always try and time it so lockdown is happening on a school day, but it's good to know that goes on it's own if I'm not here. :)

Keep hatching!

Should I put the weaker chick in with the other ones? I placed him in there earlier today, b/c his incessant, loud chirping is driving me insane! I thought that maybe b/c he could see the other chicks he'd quiet down if he was with them. Honestly, he hasn't. And he acts like the typical, annoying little brother. He's constantly following them around, pecking at them, getting in their way, falling in their food. I mean, I wouldn't blame them if they tried to hurt him, lol. Plus, he's still so much smaller and still pretty matted. The shoes probably don't help. Should I keep him separated?

Can't hardly wait much longer!!!! Last night was day 21 and nothing..... I woke up in the night (which is normal for me anyway) and of course I go to check the bators on temps and humidity. I got to see 1 pip! YEAH!!! Could not go back to sleep, but I did....somehow.... When I left for work the pip was bigger and he was cheeping away.... No other pips or wigglers that I could see, but my still air incubator was dead on 99.5 most every chance I checked... Sometimes it may have gotten as high as 100. I never saw any dips. So, I know from reading lots of other peoples posts that the still air does a bit better at like 101. But, I didn't want to take any chances.

But, now, I'm at work.... (yeah, can you tell?) waiting for the clock to move 1 more hour so I can jump in my car and race the 1 hour drive home.... So, in 2 hours I will get to see the progress of my little pip and how many others have joined him. I started with 41 eggs, took out 5 and have 1 more suspect. So keeping my fingers and toes crossed that I have a good hatch and will get to see all kinds of fluffy butts at home!

Come on clock!!!
fl.gif
barnie.gif
jumpy.gif

day 18 - lockdown
this is incubator #1, set 41, removed 6 clears = 35 to lockdown
fl.gif

some already had a big dip in the air cell... some air cells were kinda small still. most of the weight loss was perfect, a few were over projected weightloss so will be interested to see what happens.

I added water to the center well and have it up to 60% now... I cannot wait!! no wiggling yet...
barnie.gif

question: in my incubator #2, I have been hand-turning with x's and o's laying on their sides. now, my auto-turner is freed up. they are on day 11. can I put them in an auto turner halfway thru or should I keep hand turning?
Yes you can! Have done it many times. :)

Back
Top Bottom