May Hatch-a-Long!

Pics
How long should I leave them? :/ don't want that I'd be gutted after getting this far if they died now. Especially since I've seen them moving around in there.

I think somewhere in this thread or the Third annual Cinco de Mayo thread there is a link that went into detail about hatching duck eggs. You may refer to that. But my experience has been that if time has been fulfilled, then I will carefully prick an air hole near the duck's beak to assure he doesn't suffocate. (After about 10 hours of waiting.)

I think somewhere in this thread or the Third annual Cinco de Mayo thread there is a link that went into detail about hatching duck eggs. You may refer to that. But my experience has been that if time has been fulfilled, then I will carefully prick an air hole near the duck's beak to assure he doesn't suffocate. (After about 10 hours of waiting.)

Thanks. So if I wait till I get up in the morning about 8 hours time then see if anyone has externally pipped. If not a sterile hole gently put in near the chicks beak very carefully and then leave it be?

Thanks. So if I wait till I get up in the morning about 8 hours time then see if anyone has externally pipped. If not a sterile hole gently put in near the chicks beak very carefully and then leave it be?

Sounds good. Meanwhile if you like, you can do a search on "incubating and hatching duck eggs resources."

Another question - What do you use to mark your eggs? Is a pencil safe?

I really appreciate everyone's willingness to help. I've had chickens for about 7 years, but never hatched my own. Last year one of our Frizzle bantams hatched out 3 chicks and they were so much fun that we have got the fever now.
roll.png
We've had 10 chick hatch this year, but I want to learn all I can to give each fertile egg the best chance possible.

My own personal rule for intervention is 12 hours. I give 12 hours between internal and external pip; 12 hours from external pip to zip start.

this guide is very useful for understanding the exact stage of the process your eggs are in:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/491013/goose-incubation-hatching-guide-completed

80310_graphic-candle4.jpg
80310_graphic-candle5.jpg
80310_internal-pipping1.jpg

Graphics & Picture showing the appearance on candling of the progress of 'Shadowing' and 'Internal Pipping' viewed from the side and front of the egg.

Another question - What do you use to mark your eggs? Is a pencil safe?

I really appreciate everyone's willingness to help. I've had chickens for about 7 years, but never hatched my own. Last year one of our Frizzle bantams hatched out 3 chicks and they were so much fun that we have got the fever now.
roll.png
We've had 10 chick hatch this year, but I want to learn all I can to give each fertile egg the best chance possible.

I use sharpie to number them usually, and pencil to mark the air cells... I have heard arguments that sharpie carries bacteria especially from 1 hatch to the next, especially if you have soiled eggs. I can wipe down a pencil though, so that's what I use for the most part.
hatching sure is addicting! recently my husband started encouraging me to set aside (not refrigerate) MORE of our own flock's eggs and "try to sell the extras on craigslist" !!!!
wee.gif
I about went through the roof haha, if I could have eggs in the incubator 100% of the time, I would!

Back
Top Bottom