May Hatch-a-Long!

Today is my day 21. This is the first time I've used a broody. I am hoping they hatch. I never see her off the eggs... so I think she's doing her job. I went out there this morning hoping to hear some peeping... but nothing. I hope these aren't duds! I didn't candle before lock down... so I'm not sure how they looked. If I don't get any chicks by tomorrow evening I will have to adopt her a few...

Ace, did you see that Brian..on our thread, had his hatch right on day 21 from his broody? Good luck. Have you taken a peek under her to see if there are any pips? Wouldn't hurt anything if you are quick. That's if, your curiosity is just about exploding. :) Like mine would be!

Last edited:
My 16 Cream Legbar eggs go on lock down today. They were shipped eggs but arrived in excellent condition so crossing fingers for a good hatch.

My 16 Cream Legbar eggs go on lock down today. They were shipped eggs but arrived in excellent condition so crossing fingers for a good hatch.

Good Luck
thumbsup.gif
Thats the next breed I want to start, but having trouble finding them any where. :(

Ace, did you see that Brian..on our thread, had his hatch right on day 21 from his broody?  Good luck.  Have you taken a peek under her to see if there are any pips?   Wouldn't hurt anything if you are quick.  That's if, your curiosity is just about exploding.   :)  Like mine would be!

I came home for lunch to look at the broody... And there is a chick!!!! I think it s he wheaten barred rock mix. An adorable blue color. I do have a question. I went to lift up the broody, and he little chick came out a bit to look, and the broody was sorta pecking its head. Is tht normal? She wasn't pecking it hard... Was she just telling it to get back under?

Squee!!!   I am on day 17 with some chocolate orpington bantams.  It's been a very fun exciting time around here!  We started out with 7 shipped eggs in our brinsea mini advance.  After a couple of little hiccups we are down to 2 eggs.   I have heard that sometimes bantam eggs can hatch early... well, after checking my water levels and making sure everything looked good... one of my eggs moved!  I thought maybe it was my eyes.  Nope!  It's not rockin' n rollin'  But it is definitely moving.  :) 

But now I'm not sure what to do!  Should I lock them down?  Isn't it too early for lockdown?  help!  I can't sit still!  It's too bad that I already went for my run this morning.  I feel like I could run a marathon right now!
for the last week I try to ignore my eggs except for turning. Then the morning of day 18 I stop turning the eggs, then on day 20 they always start hatching in my brinsea. Have had a few wait til day 21, large fowl, and bantam always seem to hatch on day 20..makes me wonder if I should stop turning on day 17 that way they get the 3 days resting to get turned right. Then again I've had no issues with ceasing turning on 18 and hatching on 20. Most of my eggs hatch on day 20. Sometimes one or 2 wait until day 21. But are pipped by 20. If the eggs are moving, just stop turning them. Because the chick is moving in the egg to get in position to hatch. That is why we stop turning. So I guess what I'm saying is maybe sort of do go ahead and lockdown. By that I mean stop turning. Because at my place that is all lockdown means. Because if I can't turn them I surely can't candle them. So once it's time to stop turning no need to mess with them at all. That and a difference of one day is nothing. So stopping turning even a couple of days early will have no adverse affects. The chick's are too far gone to develop wrong by this point due to sticking to one spot. So may as well. I wouldn't want to confuse them if they are already getting into position. I candle up to maybe day 15 and then I consciously ignore the entire incubator except to turn it until day 18 when I stop turning. Don't look at the incubator again until I hear peeping and tapping. Usually after the first chick has hatched and then I'm glued to the hatching channel. Lol

Very loud peeping and rocking from some. One has made quite a large hole but it looks like the membrane is shrunk on him? I can see him moving well and his beak is clear of the membrane. He was a shipped egg and his air cell was saddle shaped if that makes a difference? You don't think they're all like this inside? I can hear him peeping.

It may be time to assist him a little at a time. How long since he pipped? Did you get a chance to read the link that Farmer Viola listed yesterday? It gives great instructions for assisting.

How about the others that internal pipped yesterday? Any external pips?

It may be time to assist him a little at a time. How long since he pipped? Did you get a chance to read the link that Farmer Viola listed yesterday? It gives great instructions for assisting.

How about the others that internal pipped yesterday? Any external pips?

Yes I did thanks. I've got one who's externally pipped the wrong end of the egg but has her beak clear and is peeping. I posted in the duck forum and lacrystol has been excellent with this. His blood vessels hadn't receded enough but they've gone right down since this morning. I've been keeping his membrane moist every two hours as suggested and his beak and nose are clear and he's peeping. So with this two I'm hoping for ducklings in the morning. There are 2 more who have internal pips and I can hear them tapping and peeping. The other 4 haven't pipped but I can still see them moving inside the egg and they rock the eggs all around lol. I think I got confused with the 'shadowing' and the pipping but I know the difference now :) I'm learning so much :)

Yes I did thanks. I've got one who's externally pipped the wrong end of the egg but has her beak clear and is peeping. I posted in the duck forum and lacrystol has been excellent with this. His blood vessels hadn't receded enough but they've gone right down since this morning. I've been keeping his membrane moist every two hours as suggested and his beak and nose are clear and he's peeping. So with this two I'm hoping for ducklings in the morning. There are 2 more who have internal pips and I can hear them tapping and peeping. The other 4 haven't pipped but I can still see them moving inside the egg and they rock the eggs all around lol. I think I got confused with the 'shadowing' and the pipping but I know the difference now :) I'm learning so much :)

Great. I had a couple that pipped at wrong end this year and they did fine with assistance. God bless.

I came home for lunch to look at the broody... And there is a chick!!!! I think it s he wheaten barred rock mix. An adorable blue color. I do have a question. I went to lift up the broody, and he little chick came out a bit to look, and the broody was sorta pecking its head. Is tht normal? She wasn't pecking it hard... Was she just telling it to get back under?

Oh, I am not sure..anyone else? Sounds like she was just confused maybe with you handling her. Maybe just leave her alone for a while to get used to babies under her now.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom