Maybe we can help this little girl keep her chickens!

Signed! @rebeccaH86, I love that picture you posted!
Thank you , it's just so sad that at one point in time the government wanted everyone to have chickens and now all of sudden it's a big hassle ..I think no matter where someone lives they should be able to feed them selves plus have great company of thier beautiful pets.

Last edited:
Thank you , it's just so sad that at one point in time the government wanted everyone to have chickens and now all of sudden it's a big hassle ..I think not matter where someone lives they should be able to feed them selves plus have great company of thier beautiful pets.
I agree. I can't image being without my chickens, plus, their eggs are so good! It would be amazing to see more people raising chickens, even if it's just a few. It's too bad some towns/neighborhoods don't allow them. I feel very thankful to live in a small neighborhood with little to none HOA guidelines.

Thank you , it's just so sad that at one point in time the government wanted everyone to have chickens and now all of sudden it's a big hassle ..I think no matter where someone lives they should be able to feed them selves plus have great company of thier beautiful pets.
I am fighting a similar fight now in ID where all cities in the county allow chickens in residential zones, but where I live, in between the cities, the county will not allow me to have them. I did not know this until we had constructed the coop and raised chickens for 6 weeks. I honestly thought we were OK. I have an Autistic 8 year old who is allergic to dogs. I am allergic to cats. The chickens give him an opportunity to learn responsibility and practice empathy he cannot in other ways. I even bought him a "show chicken" to raise for 4-H. Now we are trying to figure out what to do. When the city allows something you can't do out in the county, it just makes no sense!

http://chng.it/kHFfBCPhFT

Link above if you would like to sign her petition! Just click the link or copy and paste it into your browser window.

Copied from www.change.org:

Sienna is a 4th grader in unincorporated Kingston/Genoa area. Her family’s home is 500 feet from the Genoa town line. Sienna has responsibly raised and tended to a small flock of chickens for the past three years. She helped design and build the coop, researched and learned all the needs of the flock and raised her birds from new babies only a couple days old. Sienna has learned responsibility, where food comes from and more importantly she has experienced the joy of bonding with her birds and having best friends that make her laugh, keep her company and relieve anxiety that she suffers from like so many others in the world.
The city of Genoa allows chickens in town for their residents but because Sienna and her family live in the unincorporated section she is governed by DeKalb county ordinance requiring 2 or more acres to have chickens. The city of Genoa and other surrounding towns completely allow responsible backyard chickens. This proposal is to change the ordinance so that residents of these towns that already allow backyard chickens can now be allowed to keep them in their backyards out in the country.
PLEASE SUPPORT SAVING SIENNAS CHICKENS AND ALLOW HER TO KEEP THEM. IF THIS ISN’T PASSED, THE COUNTY BOARD MEMBERS WILL FORCE THIS LITTLE GIRL TO HAND OVER HER BABIES AND DISASSEMBLE HER BEAUTIFUL COOP SHE HELPED HER DAD BUILD.
THIS CHANGE IS A COMMON SENSE CHANGE. THE CITY OF GENOA ALREADY ALLOWS THE IN TOWN RESIDENTS TO HAVE CHICKENS. SIENNA LIVES IN THE COUNTRY WHERE HAVING CHICKENS IS USUALLY THE NORM. RULES WE ARE GOVERNED BY SHOULD BE LOGICAL AND SUPPORT OUR RESIDENTS. WE NEED ALL YOUR HELP TO SHOW THE BOARD OF DEKALB OUR RESIDENTS WANT LEADERSHIP THAT SUPPORTS OUR NEEDS AND LISTENS TO OUR FAMILIES DOING POSITIVE THINGS IN OUR COMMUNITY.
How do I help? Is it too late?

Back
Top Bottom