Mealworm farming

I've gotten to page 42 reading and am determined to get through the whole thread - some day... in the interim I apologize if this has been asked between pages 43-400.

Does anyone freeze dry their worms to preserve them in plastic containers? I was wondering if that is a possiblity and how to go about doing it. I've saved a bunch of clear plastic tubs from my many mealyworm purchases at TSC. I'd like to be able to keep the mealyworms in those until fed to my chicks. I have the little silicone preserving packages to put in to keep them dry/fresh. I also have a dehydrator.

I know I can just freeze the worms, but I don't have a great deal of freezer space. And this seems like a doable thing - but has anyone else done it successfully?

Thanks,
Bobbie

So how many are you planing to freeze. Will they take up that much room ?

So how many are you planing to freeze. Will they take up that much room ?

I don't know - never did it before. I've got 5000 coming and that sounds like a lot to me - maybe I don't know the quantities of mealworms in a normal container from TSC. But I'm guessing that the quantities could get high fast once they start reproducing. I have only a small freezer and am trying to find alternate storage for the mealyworms. How many worms could you fit into a gallon size freezer bag?

I don't know - never did it before. I've got 5000 coming and that sounds like a lot to me - maybe I don't know the quantities of mealworms in a normal container from TSC. But I'm guessing that the quantities could get high fast once they start reproducing. I have only a small freezer and am trying to find alternate storage for the mealyworms. How many worms could you fit into a gallon size freezer bag?

Just a guess maybe 10,000. I think 2 or 3 large baggies would hold enough and you don't have to freeze them you could just keep breeding them.

Just a guess maybe 10,000. I think 2 or 3 large baggies would hold enough and you don't have to freeze them you could just keep breeding them.

Okay that helps. I was worried I'd be over running with worms and not able to save them for the winter. My girls love their mealies. I want to store enough for the winter feeding and to start again in the spring. We don't get bad snow but I won't be able to house them inside over the winter. DH says no way.

Okay that helps. I was worried I'd be over running with worms and not able to save them for the winter. My girls love their mealies. I want to store enough for the winter feeding and to start again in the spring. We don't get bad snow but I won't be able to house them inside over the winter. DH says no way.

Hide them in the winter.
wink.png

Thanks to this thread and all the helpful information, my meal worm farm is booming!!!! I've got 15 trays with too many worms to count, 2 containers with beetles in them and have put more than 2000 mealies in the fridge. Soon I will be on my 2nd generation.

Thanks all!!

Joe

Hundreds of beetles hiding under everything, hoping to see the 2nd generation soon. I have been thinking about growing some kind of sprouts in a tray for some "green" treats this winter, has anyone done it? What did you sprout? I just love watching them out in the yard eating.

I thought I remembered reading that someone used whole wheat flour for their substrate. Can I use that and/or whole grain rolled oats (like for oatmeal) for the substrate? I have the 3 bin drawers but I'm thinking of just putting some of the 5000 mealworms into each bin and letting them grow as a group iris it better to separate if I use those substrates?

I thought I remembered reading that someone used whole wheat flour for their substrate. Can I use that and/or whole grain rolled oats (like for oatmeal) for the substrate? I have the 3 bin drawers but I'm thinking of just putting some of the 5000 mealworms into each bin and letting them grow as a group iris it better to separate if I use those substrates?
I used flour in the start...the mealies didn't seem to care for it and when it came time to separate them from the substrate it was near impossible!! I now stay away from the flour!
Oatmeal was a hit, but it was also hard to separate.

Joe

I used flour in the start...the mealies didn't seem to care for it and when it came time to separate them from the substrate it was near impossible!!  I now stay away from the flour!
Oatmeal was a hit, but it was also hard to separate.

Joe

Thanks. I found the post again where she used flour and oats together in the bin. So I think I might try that.

Do we really have to freeze our flour and oats before putting them in the bin for the first time?

Back
Top Bottom