Mealworm farming

I have my mealie setup in an open bin currently. No problems at all with smells, etc. though I did have a problem with mites at one point.
I've been thinking about maintenance during the winter and I will probably run a small HEPA air-cleaner near the bin while I'm working with it . . . I don't know if this will help but it's worth a try.
Thanks! That really does help. I have my setup under my desk right now, waiting on my mealies! Ordered them yesterday from Fluker's online :D Tracking them now!! WOO HOO!! The mealies are coming, the mealies are coming!!
ya.gif
woot.gif
yesss.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Thanks! That really does help. I have my setup under my desk right now, waiting on my mealies! Ordered them yesterday from Fluker's online :D Tracking them now!! WOO HOO!! The mealies are coming, the mealies are coming!!
ya.gif
woot.gif
yesss.gif
yippiechickie.gif
Yay! Excited for you. I had mine in a three drawer system on the counter in the kitchen next to the stove in the winter with no odor. But this while I was starting up like you will be. My house temp was in the low 70's and life cycles were slow getting to my first batch of home grown mealies. When it warmed up I moved everybody outside onto the deck. I tend to notice a little more odor now that I have had a few generations of production and now that the drawers are teaming with life. I do not know what I will do with them when the temp goes down again in the fall. Maybe I will use a heat lamp in the shed.

Yay! Excited for you. I had mine in a three drawer system on the counter in the kitchen next to the stove in the winter with no odor. But this while I was starting up like you will be. My house temp was in the low 70's and life cycles were slow getting to my first batch of home grown mealies. When it warmed up I moved everybody outside onto the deck. I tend to notice a little more odor now that I have had a few generations of production and now that the drawers are teaming with life. I do not know what I will do with them when the temp goes down again in the fall. Maybe I will use a heat lamp in the shed.
Thank you!! :D And good to know... My house runs a little cooler and that is the only thing I'm worried about but I got them this morning and got them settled and now they are munchin on some baby carrots :)

Ok everyone a few questions, one...we have had our mealworms since April and so far we have not seen ANY babies? Could it be that my room is to cold? Could I put them outside no matter how hot it gets?

Ok everyone a few questions, one...we have had our mealworms since April and so far we have not seen ANY babies? Could it be that my room is to cold? Could I put them outside no matter how hot it gets?

have any changed into "alien grubs" aka pupae? or beetles?

are they jumbo sized, perhaps injected with hormones or whatever?

I started my farm a month ago. I had pupae within 1 week, and beetles within 1.5 weeks. I keep my house in the 60's and 70's as far as temp goes. My little farm is moving right along.

You have to have pupae, then you will see beetles......then eggs and babies. Have any of them changed at all into pupae?

Don't despair yet! Depends how mature the mealies were when you got 'em first. Then what temp. they have been in. Warmer temps make the life cycle progress faster. I put a heating pad under my botoom drawer and kept my beetles in that drawer at first to " get them in the mood". It also helped my pupae change faster and with less deformity and higher survival rate I think. Then your beetles should progress to darkling stage and be mature enough to reproduce and the eggs hatch. The eggs are really tiny and the baby mealies are going to be really tiny too. I saw movement in the substrate before I ever saw a baby mealie.

I cannot stand the waiting!! Just got my mealies Wednesday and I'm already ready for them to pupate! This is going to be a long couple months haha
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom