Mealworm farming

So I found a place (earthworms4sale) that had the same price as Uncle Jim's, so I ordered them on Sunday. It said they were supposed to ship out on Monday, but I didn't get an email, tracking update, nothing. I emailed on Tuesday and heard nothing back. Hubs called on Wednesday and they answered the phone as Uncle Jim's Worm farm! What?!? I double checked their website and it says nothing about Uncle Jim's on there! looked like 2 youngish boys, family business type of setup. UGGGHHH!
barnie.gif
I can only hope they all arrive. I ordered 5,000, and I expect to receive every single one, healthy and wiggling, or they'll be hearing about it!

I found a place on ebay that has 10k mealworms for 32. They don't have much feedback, but the little that they have is 100% positive. I heard shipping is slow with them, but the weather is pretty mild right now, so it should be all right.

Advertising under several names is fairly common and not just with worms. I needed to have my septic tank pumped for a county inspection a few years back. There was half a dozen companies advertized in the phone book. They all had the same price to the penny. It turned out that no matter what company you used the same guy showed up. All his relatives were taking his calls under different company names and passing the orders along. I believe that Uncle Jim's is doing the internet version of this.

BTW, I don't remember if its Eisenia Foetida also known as the Red Wiggler you purchased but they are normally sold by the pound with 2000 adult worms to the pound. On the worms4earth site they are claiming that there are only 800 to 1000 worms per pound. If they send you tiny baby worms there should be more worms to the pound. If its Eisenia Foetida you bought your 5000 worms should weigh 2 1/2 pounds (5 cups). When you get your package look at the weight the post office printed on the package. Redworms will dehydrate a bit in shipping but the shipping weight will tell you how much the package weighed to begin with.

While checking the weight will give you a quick idea what you have counting them will give you a better idea how quickly your worm population will expand. An easy way to tell about how many worms you have without counting every last single one of them is to count out a small amount of worms, like a quarter cup. Then measure out how many cups of worms you have and multiply. Number of worms in quarter cup X number of quarter cups = number or worms.

Good Luck

That's good advice, thanks!

They sure fooled me! Their company is located in Raleigh, NC, and Uncle Jim's is in PA. I would never have guessed!

Just checked, and it was sold by the pound, so that should be easy....I just need to separate the bedding to get the worm weight. (5#)

That's good advice, thanks!

They sure fooled me! Their company is located in Raleigh, NC, and Uncle Jim's is in PA. I would never have guessed!

Sounds like they are drop shippers. They have a web site and that's it. When you order the the order is forwarded on the the company they contract with that has actual product on hand. The shipper just prints out and includes paperwork from the place you ordered from so it looks like its a different company.

My wigglers are here!!!! The box weighed a little under 8lbs, and the concentration of worms is pretty heavy. Does 2 pounds of substrate and 5lbs of worms sound about right? I'm not sure that I'm up for sifting all of the substrate out to check. >_<
lol.png

My wigglers are here!!!! The box weighed a little under 8lbs, and the concentration of worms is pretty heavy. Does 2 pounds of substrate and 5lbs of worms sound about right? I'm not sure that I'm up for sifting all of the substrate out to check. >_<
lol.png
I'd just spread em out and take a good look, make sure they're aren't alot of dead ones or anything else odd.

There seems to be a good quantity, and all moving well! We also saw a couple of tiny worm cocoons!

I have never gotten any substrate when i have ordered worms. They have always come in a couple big handfuls of slightly damp peat that was easy to remove. So haven't any idea on the perorations of worm to bedding. But, I am quite glad to hear you are happy with your order of worms.

Sounds like they are drop shippers.  They have a web site and that's it.  When you order the the order is forwarded on the the company they contract with that has actual product on hand.  The shipper just prints out and includes paperwork from the place you ordered from so it looks like its a different company.

You mentioned drop shippers - in a related topic...
I just recently discovered that apparently you can buy bulk LIVE mealworms from China by the 1000's of pounds. I wonder if there are sellers that are just reselling these instead of breeding their own... And if there are, does anyone know who, so that we can avoid them (and in a related subject - should we avoid them?)

Back
Top Bottom