Mealworm farming

For sure! Usually the first sign of larvae for me is 'heaving' wheat bran. Kinda creepy.
And I have a pan of frass with trails running thru it.

I will be sure to look for those signs, as well. I have heaving-wheat-bran PTSD - the last time I saw it heaving, it was grain mites making the heaves. I obsessively look for those, too, but so far, so good.

My 10k mealies are supplies me with wonderful frass! The last thing I fed them was a bunch of kale, it is nearly gone (even the stems!) and they are producing green frass! I'm going to have to decide which plant I like best!
wink.png

I just got my mealworms yesterday from Rainbow Farms. Very well packaged and not a single dead one. Even with the freezing cold recently they are all very active. So onto my next venture. I wasn't going to raise them but just intented to buy in bulk (I just use them for treats and bribes) as I was tired of paying 10 cents each at Petco. But after seeing this thread, I'm going to give it a go. I'll still use them for food as I go along. So far no questions but wanted to post so get the notices on my page. What we will do for our chickens and I'm only 3 months into raising them.

I just got my mealworms yesterday from Rainbow Farms. Very well packaged and not a single dead one. Even with the freezing cold recently they are all very active. So onto my next venture. I wasn't going to raise them but just intented to buy in bulk (I just use them for treats and bribes) as I was tired of paying 10 cents each at Petco. But after seeing this thread, I'm going to give it a go. I'll still use them for food as I go along. So far no questions but wanted to post so get the notices on my page. What we will do for our chickens and I'm only 3 months into raising them.

Welcome to the thread where you will find lots of information and much encouragement and help!

I just got my mealworms yesterday from Rainbow Farms. Very well packaged and not a single dead one.  Even with the freezing cold recently they are all very active.  So onto my next venture.  I wasn't going to raise them but just intented to buy in bulk (I just use them for treats and bribes) as I was tired of paying 10 cents each at Petco. But after seeing this thread, I'm going to give it a go.  I'll still use them for food as I go along.  So far no questions but wanted to post so get the notices on my page.  What we will do for our chickens and I'm only 3 months into raising them.      
welcome. You are going to love your new adventure! Just remember to wear a mask! My colony is 3 years old. I now produce enough to feed my flock AND sell for profit. Good luck

Welcome Linda. How many mealworms did you buy and how many chickens do you have Linda?

BTW: 3 month is how long it takes from mealworm eggs to feeding out size with my worms. But you have to keep them warm around 80 to get them to grow that fast.

Back
Top Bottom