Mealworm farming

Emily, unfortunately, the allergic reaction you're suffering is because of the proteins shed by the mealworms and probably not the substrate. Many studies have been done showing that grain elevator workers suffering severe allergies at work are responding to the insects in the grain and not the grain itself. Darkling beetles from the family Tenebrionidae are notorious for stimulating allergic reactions (google "Tenbrio molitor allergy). Maybe you could use a mask and latex gloves when handling them to limit problems. I've known a few people that developed beetle allergies. I'm surprised I haven't yet developed one to them yet, it seems as I age I'm becoming allergic to just about everything.

Thanks Gallo for the info. I've been reading several websites about this and realised the seriousness of what is happening to me. I am on the verge of full blown asthma attacks so the mealies are going to have to go. I tried putting them out in the garage but it seems they starting to smell more. And everytime I go to the garage I have a reaction.....sooooooo!!! However, I am not just quitting on them right away. I am picking out, masked!!!, the full size worms and freezing them. I will let the babies grow up and pick them out as they grow.

I have allergies pretty bad. So far the worms are not bothering me, But when I "play" with them for an extended period of time, I wear a mask. I do that when I clean chicken pens and mix feed too. But don't just use a regular mask, you need a respirator mask! They cost more but last a long time. I think, if you want to make a BIG investment, they have masks that you can change the filter in. Don't skimp on the mask.... it is not worth it!

Probably glove would not be a bad idea either. I do have to make a comment.... I don't play with my worms
hmm.png
I feed them and that has been pretty much it. I don't clean them.... they are worms...they live in dirt... they will be fine. I do divide them into new bins but that is it.....

I have allergies pretty bad. So far the worms are not bothering me, But when I "play" with them for an extended period of time, I wear a mask. I do that when I clean chicken pens and mix feed too. But don't just use a regular mask, you need a respirator mask! They cost more but last a long time. I think, if you want to make a BIG investment, they have masks that you can change the filter in. Don't skimp on the mask.... it is not worth it!

Probably glove would not be a bad idea either. I do have to make a comment.... I don't play with my worms
hmm.png
I feed them and that has been pretty much it. I don't clean them.... they are worms...they live in dirt... they will be fine. I do divide them into new bins but that is it.....
X2

You could buy like 500 more worms but put half of them in your bin and the other half in the refrigerator. Then in 3-4 weeks put the refrigerated ones into the bin. That way you have them all going in stages.
500 bought - some to the bin and others in fridge. So many beetles now and they are mating so I am hopeful for a NEXT GENERATION !!!!! I wanna see little wormies now, wonder how long it takes before eggs hatch and can bee seen (Guess I will be doing more reserch) Feeding more dead beetles and skins to the chicks, keets are ignoring them.

Life Cycle: The mealworm undergoes complete metamorphosis. The female darkling beetle lays hundreds of tiny, white, oval eggs, which hatch into tiny mealworms (the larval stage) - it takes from 4 to 19 days to hatch. Each mealworm eats a tremendous amount and grows a lot, molting (shedding its exoskeleton) many times as it grows. It then enters the pupal stage (this stage lasts from 2-3 weeks up to 9 months, if the pupal stage over-winters). The pupa does not eat and seems inactive, but it is transforming itself into an adult. After pupating, a white adult darkwing beetle emerges from the pupa -- it soon turns brown and then almost black. The adult lives for a few months. The entire life cycle takes about a year.

wee.gif
So in two weeks I will be looking little wormies - I can hardly wait. I already have dead der if I aam doing everything alrightbeetle so they are not all living A FEW MONTHS - I still wonder if I am doing eveything alright..too much apples, carrots, or potatoes???

500 bought - some to the bin and others in fridge. So many beetles now and they are mating so I am hopeful for a NEXT GENERATION !!!!! I wanna see little wormies now, wonder how long it takes before eggs hatch and can bee seen (Guess I will be doing more reserch) Feeding more dead beetles and skins to the chicks, keets are ignoring them.
Takes about a month then all of a sudden your substrate starts moving and you have millions of babies!!!! Just be patient!!

Takes about a month then all of a sudden your substrate starts moving and you have millions of babies!!!! Just be patient!!
patient---Oooooh such a nasty word ( I tell everyone I will never pray for that, it can be a hard pill to swallow) I am so excited, Thanks for letting me know. I just love this site, I use my kindle most of the time when I am one so I cannot post ( do not know why since I can click the little this is helpful icon and post there)

I have loads of pupae who have not turned into beetles and we are in our 4th / 5th week of my farm could they be dead, or is it still to cold here, its spring and has not been that warm ? I keep looking hoping they have hatched into beetles but still nothing. Advice please thanks Julie

Back
Top Bottom