mealworms dying

Well, assuming you only give mealworms as treat food, it shouldn't take too long to get your numbers back up. We kept ours in the garage, in the shade at all times. And, as I said, it was covered with a screen so the beetles couldn't fly out.

i didn't notice until today..

i guess the reason why some of the beetles are dead because of the direct sun! i didn't notice that the morning sun can still reach all the way inside at an angle..

let's hope the remaining ones will survive..

how long it will take these 20-30-ish remaining mealworms to build up a colony that is enough to feed 5 hens?

maybe i need to buy more...
If they're young beetles, that's probably going to be enough. Say at minimum you have 10 females laying eggs.
I don't know how many eggs they lay per day...everyone seems to have different number.
Time to get to a second generation of worms will be the issue.
if I set up beetles in the winter, it takes about a year...obviously less in summer.

If they're young beetles, that's probably going to be enough. Say at minimum you have 10 females laying eggs.
I don't know how many eggs they lay per day...everyone seems to have different number.
Time to get to a second generation of worms will be the issue.
if I set up beetles in the winter, it takes about a year...obviously less in summer.

i saw some baby mealworms for the past few days.

i'm guessing the bettles don't live as long?

i think they are all dead now

i saw some baby mealworms for the past few days.

i'm guessing the bettles don't live as long?

i think they are all dead now
2-3 months beetle life.
nurture what you've got...it just takes time to reach that next generation.

Looks pretty good. I'd put a paper towel or two over your substrate/veges to help stop them drying out as quickly.
The only thing that appears to be a threat is heat, so you need to get humidity up without creating mould.
Did a google and the beetles are the first to suffer excessive heat.
Suggestions are to lightly spray the towels a couple of times a day or get a small plastic "cup" about 2 " deep, available at variety stores, fill with bits of sponge, so small larvae won't drown if they get in. Hot glue metal fly screen wire over the top and fill with water. The larvae love it and lay across the top of the container. Another is a zip close bag filled with sponge and water, although I didn't have a lot of success with this one. Both containers need to be buried to some extent.
Hope this makes sense

That's a lot of moisture sources. I have a 40 gal with prob around 4K plus second gen worms. The most I put in at a time is two carrots or maybe two apple cores. Never more. They really need very little moisture. I've done a lot of research and never seen a single worm farm with that much produce. Usually a carrot or half a potato per tray.
a plastic fish tank-- i think it's 5 gallon? wheat bran, peaches, grapes, lettuce, etc.. location-- outside in 110+ heat but under my full covered patio, no lid on the tank

That's a lot of moisture sources. I have a 40 gal with prob around 4K plus second gen worms. The most I put in at a time is two carrots or maybe two apple cores. Never more. They really need very little moisture. I've done a lot of research and never seen a single worm farm with that much produce. Usually a carrot or half a potato per tray.

since they are dying before so i added a bunch of stuff in -- even more today

i see more bettles than before.. so i guess it's ok..

Back
Top Bottom