What kind of mites are these and why won’t they die?!?

I posted about this a month and a half or so ago, but desperately need help!

I’m about to give up on having chickens and burning my coops if I can’t get this under control. Several weeks ago I noticed little reddish brown mites crawling all over my hands and arms when I would clean the chicken coop. At first, I didn’t see any on the birds (I’m down to two). We stripped the coop, the run (which is on concrete so it’s easy to sanitize…birds free range all day), and sprayed everything in permethrin. We dusted the birds in permethrin. Put permethrin powder in their dust bath. We repeated this 10 days later. They came back a couple of weeks later in full force, this time the birds were even more covered in mites.

We doused everything in permethrin again today, and this time I treated the hens with topical ivermectin as well. Tonight when I went to lock them up, I noticed three or four mites crawling on my hands just from closing their door. WHY ARE THEY STILL ALIVE?! Does the permethrin not kill immediately?

How in gods name do you get rid of these? And any idea what kind of mites I am dealing with if they are covering the coop and the birds? I was battling with mice building nests in my coop all winter, and finally have them evicted but I am certain that that is where these came from.

I cant touch any part of the chicken coop without getting them on me. I come inside, strip, and shower immediately, but I am so disgusted and feel like I’m crawling any time I go near the chickens.

I have a basement full of 8 new chicks to replace the ones we lost that I’m gonna have to get rid of because I cannot seem to get this under control 😫😫😫diatomaceous

I posted about this a month and a half or so ago, but desperately need help!

I’m about to give up on having chickens and burning my coops if I can’t get this under control. Several weeks ago I noticed little reddish brown mites crawling all over my hands and arms when I would clean the chicken coop. At first, I didn’t see any on the birds (I’m down to two). We stripped the coop, the run (which is on concrete so it’s easy to sanitize…birds free range all day), and sprayed everything in permethrin. We dusted the birds in permethrin. Put permethrin powder in their dust bath. We repeated this 10 days later. They came back a couple of weeks later in full force, this time the birds were even more covered in mites.

We doused everything in permethrin again today, and this time I treated the hens with topical ivermectin as well. Tonight when I went to lock them up, I noticed three or four mites crawling on my hands just from closing their door. WHY ARE THEY STILL ALIVE?! Does the permethrin not kill immediately?

How in gods name do you get rid of these? And any idea what kind of mites I am dealing with if they are covering the coop and the birds? I was battling with mice building nests in my coop all winter, and finally have them evicted but I am certain that that is where these came from.

I cant touch any part of the chicken coop without getting them on me. I come inside, strip, and shower immediately, but I am so disgusted and feel like I’m crawling any time I go near the chickens.

I have a basement full of 8 new chicks to replace the ones we lost that I’m gonna have to get rid of because I cannot seem to get this under control 😫😫😫
Diatomaceous earth is safe to throw all over and dust the chickens with. You can get it in 50 pound bags at the feed store. 100% natural.

Diatomaceous earth is safe to throw all over and dust the chickens with. You can get it in 50 pound bags at the feed store. 100% natural.
I would make sure it's Food Grade, and it does not do a good job of getting rid of an infestation. Once mites are gone, it will keep them gone if regularly sprinkled around the coop.

7 years of it for chickens, and 20+ years of using it for macaw parrot cages.

They do sound a lot like red mite and I am so sad to hear it. Red mite are the scourge of hen keepers.
Here’s what I know about getting rid of them …
Clean everything paying extra attention to cracks in wood, they generally live in the wood and crawl onto the birds as they roost to drink their blood 🧛 Cover everything with something like Poultry Shield concentrate. Destroy (burn) all bedding and anything that can be replaced. Repeat every two days for about 10 days to break the life cycle.
IMG_3601.jpeg
Personally I would put a flame thrower to the hen house and get another for else where in the garden, a long way from the red mites.
I wish you all the luck I can in beating the little … nasties (typed with enormous amounts of restraint)
Big hugz
IMG_3602.png

Back
Top Bottom