Mean Goose

nadbe

In the Brooder
Mar 5, 2015
Meet Hunter...

When I let my chickens and 2 geese out, this is what he does... Sits at the door pecking at it as long as he thinks I'm inside. I go outside and he attacks me. I have tried to be the dominant goose but he keeps coming back for more. I have grabbed his neck and thrown him off the deck, hit him with a plastic pipe or shoe over his beak but nothing seems to back him down. Even my husband who's more forceful than I am can't get him to back down. His friend is a African brown goose that we raised from a gosling. Her (I think it's a girl but we haven't seen any nesting or eggs yet) buddies died over the summer so we wanted her to have a partner and found this goose in a local paper. He's about a year old. I know it's mating season but we can't even walk outside without getting attacked. Any suggestions????

Have you tried shooing him off with a broom?

Another option is to dominate him, either you or your husband catch him and (you'll have to be strong lol) hold him down on the ground and put a little weight on his back. Don't squash him flat or hurt him...but show him YOU are the dominate one.

I had to do this with some of my Muscovy drakes ( they are almost the same size as a goose) and they don't chase me or bite me anymore. My Toulouse gander hasn't had to be dominated, but I do raise both my arms and shoo him off occasionally.
I hope this helps!

Hold him down, knee on his back, one arm keeping his wings down, one arm pinching his neck to the ground. Three or four times a day and he'll stop attacking you.

acting scarred only makes him continue to attack if you scream your dead meat, never look afriad always walk towards him never away, act like you don't see him and if all else fails slap him gently on the beak , But DON'T look scared and dont feel scared becuase if you feel scared they'll know it and continue to attack. Best advice i have from experience.

Last edited:
Once you get him to back off using the above tips... do it again as soon as he even looks like he wants to challenge you. I personally pick mine up until they relax... using this take care to have the wings pinned and watch for biting.

These ideas seem to be working! My 9 Year old daughter even picked him up and carried him half way across the yard! WOW I guess we won't be dining on goose.
1f609.png

These ideas seem to be working! My 9 Year old daughter even picked him up and carried him half way across the yard! WOW I guess we won't be dining on goose.
1f609.png
YAY!!! just make sure the ganders bill cannot get at your dd face they can really cause a serious wound if they bite, I know I had one.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom