Meatie Experiment: FF 'vs' Crumbles

the simple way without using acv. take the feed add water let it sit for 3 days. the air has the ingrediants that the feed needs to ferment.

as far as taste . i have done both ways, fermented and non fermented feed. fermenting the chicken feed .the chicken has a sweet taste that can be a little strong.
when mixing mayo the flavor still bleeds through.making for a strange taste.

I must have missed this post,
Has anyone else butchered birds raised on FF?
What has your taste buds told you?

I must have missed this post,
Has anyone else butchered birds raised on FF?
What has your taste buds told you?

Same here! Just like he said, its good on bbq chicken because it adds to tthe vinegar in the sauce but it is horrible to make sandwiches with! If you use the meat in anything off the bone - fajitas, nuggets, pot pie - you don't notice a difference.

yeah me to posting so I can find this thread. Still TRYING to learn this forum and don't know how to tell IF someone replied to something i said or not.
th.gif

jrsckn, when you measure 1 lb of FF, is that the weight before soaking or after soaking? I've found that my feed expands to about 2x its original weight due to water absorption.

Therefore, 1 cup CC ≠ 1 cup FF (I think?)

I loved reading your experiment, it was so cool to see all the numbers!

Same here! Just like he said, its good on bbq chicken because it adds to tthe vinegar in the sauce but it is horrible to make sandwiches with! If you use the meat in anything off the bone - fajitas, nuggets, pot pie - you don't notice a difference.

Thanks for responding,
So what would change if you put the birds back on regular feed, say a week before processing them?
I recall my grandmother saying do not let the chickens into the onion/garlic part of the garden. LOL!!
smile.png

I just served up 2 roasters for dinner. Fed mostly FF until the last week, when I wanted faster growth and I couldn't keep enough FF in front of them. FOr the last week they received FF mash 1-2 times a day and had free choice pellets 24/7. THey prefered the FF and gorged on that over the pellets.

THeir growth was definitely limited because of the FFas I only fed that 2-3 times a day, and it was always finished by the time I added more. I thought the breast meat could have been bigger; thighs were huge. ( Possibly it was the source that accounted for the lack of breast size IDK.)

Meat was fine flavored. Not sweet, but normal. Birds were lean but juicy. SOme juice for gravy making in the bottom of the pan. I didn't brine. Simply finished cleaning and laid 2 in my turkey roasting pan. Baked at 250 for 1 hour then turned up the heat to 350 to brown up the skin. Maybe 20 minutes at 350. THe meat was the texture I like. More like heritage birds, not the mush of the grocery store birds. ANd the flavor was very good.'Normal" flavor. No seasoning were used .

Back
Top Bottom