merry Christmas...a budgie and a betta!?

MiniatureCochin

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 30, 2011
wow....so...my dad & siblings just got home an hour ago with a green budgie and a betta fish. Great early Christmas present....NOT.
I mean, they meant well and all, and I don't mind having a pretty fish (I've had one before), but a budgie? Sure, he's pretty, and he's small, but dang it, he kept screeching and trying to bite me. And they didn't even think about where they were gonna keep him
hmm.png

eh, I guess I really shouldn't be surprised---I bought a Betta and an Anole one Christmas...but at least I am the person who is ''in charge'' of the pets---and I had a pretty good Idea about what I was doing...oh well...
roll.png

Anyway, I think I'm gonna call the bird ''Grinch''.
big_smile.png

Maybe I'll be able to get pics sometime....

Merry Christmas,

MC

What size tank do you have the little fella in? with a heater and filtration i hope
sad.png
they're tropical and like 5gallons minimum. 10 gallons is even better as it is more stable once cycled.
smile.png
Just giving some friendly advice.

Careful budgie bites hurt!
sad.png
my grandma used to have a really mean one called George and he liked to bite your ears.

I remember when I had parakeets, reading that you don't force yourself on the bird, so it doesn't get scared by this huge monster-human, and bite to defend itself.
I wish I knew where I read the way to gradually hand-tame a budgie: it was about starting with a small piece of wood, like a perch, step-by-step, then sub your finger for the wood, all over days, or even weeks. Try an internet search for "hand-taming a budgie" (or "parakeet").
Did they at least get a cage?! Remember to cover it with a cloth so "Grinchie" knows when it is "night-night" time, and maybe he or she will chill out on the screeching.

(All of this is based on my thinking you haven't had a budgie before--if you do know what's what already, I apologize)

Let the budgie settle down for a week before you attempt touching him. Eventually he'll realize that you're a food source, and you can start feeding him from your hand -without touching him- once you think he's comfortable with you, you can attempt "step up". Keep it at his pace, and be sure to be gentle and not frustrated! Eventually you'll discover that you have a great little budgie friend
smile.png
check out the talkbudgies forums!

I agree with what you've said. I'm in charge of the animals, and while I LOVE getting a new critter, I like some forewarning and I DO NOT like it when people take me for granted and assume I'd love a new animal at just any time -.-

Congrats though. Fishie sounds adorable and Nicola gave you some excellent advice... I'm sure the budgie will grow on you!

Back
Top Bottom