metal or plastic - what do you think???

vtgirls

Songster
9 Years
May 20, 2010
Vermont
I am switching up from the giant 1 gallon plastic waterer to something a bit larger. Plus they drive me crazy - you can't hang them and the botttoms pop off when you carry them! I will have about 2 dozen laying hens needing a waterer. Seperately I will also need a new waterer for 30 meaties, and one more for 15 turkeys. I would really appreciate everyone's opinion - should I go with the galvanized steel double wall version or the little giant hanging plastic type?

My vote is definately for the metal. For me they are much easier to take apart and fill, and I detest setting the plastic ones upside down to fill them and fight with them to get back together. Metal all the way.

On the one gallon model I have the top screws onto a base - no clicks. Pick them up and walk and "BAM" it pops open and out goes the water (on me). Keep the opinions coming!

My little giants have a screw on top. I just unscrew the top, rinse it out and fill it. When its full, just screw the top back on. The plastic base does come off for cleaning, but I just run a hose and squirt it. They have a screw on cap for a bottom plug that you take off after you fill the waterer. I guess you could hang them but I dont since they get so heavy when full. http://www.ruralking.com/waterer-plastic-poultryandgame-3-gal.html

Last edited:
Plastic! You cannot add many types of medications, or certainly Apple Cider Vinegar, to metal wateres.

I have a five gallon Little Giant that I love, same as the above respondent. But it would be too heavy to hang (35 lbs, as each gallon of water weighs around 7 lbs.).

Quote:
Lol, that happens all the time. I have some 1 gallon plastic waterers with the red screw on base. After a time, the threads on the jug part wear away a little, and sometimes the bottom pops off, usually right down the front on me.

My vote is for the galvanized. I packed the plastic away for the winter because you can't put them on a heater. The plastic cap has to go on perfectly or the water all runs out. The galvanized will last forever.

I love galvanized waterers.

I would like to add that I have noticed that the 5 gallon size galvanized waterers seem to be constructed better and I have NO trouble with them.

The two gallon galvanized ones I have had issues with, as some are a little bent at the time of purchase, and it seems that they become difficult to put the two pieces together over time. This isn't ALL of them, but some. (I have 4 of them.)

I would only buy the 5 gallon ones from now on. I have two and they are flawless.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom