Mexican Speckled Quail for free--should I get them?

That was only during their brooding time, MissPrissy. Everyone except for 3 little ducklings(starting to grow in feathers) and a few baby Bantams are outside in their respective runs. The remaining babies are now in brooders in my spare unused bathroom. I was using my room as the brooding area this spring out of necessity while my coops were being reinforced. I lost chickens years ago to a raccoon in the same coop(got in through the roof vent), so I wanted to reinforce EVERYTHING with hardware cloth and cover my run to make sure that would never happen again!

The ducklings are getting ready to move outside too, but one of them, the Magpie, has an issue with Niacin deficiency. She was showing symptoms(vertigo, uncoordinated movements, disorientation, seizure-like behaviour) the day after I got her in the mail, and I treated her with brewer's yeast. She looked much better after a week and a half of supplementation, and she was fine for about a week after that. Then, she started showing mild symptoms again, so she is now back on the brewer's yeast again. I hope it goes away this time. I'm hesitant to put her outside in the run until she looks normal without the yeast. They have a huge covered run to share with my other ducks and Chinese geese, but I don't want to put her out there until she is fit and healthy enough to deal with the flock and the hot weather.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom