Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

Blue genetics depend on the parents, but I assume Meyer is using Blue x Blue in their breeding pens, in which case the resulting offspring would be 50% blue, 25% black, 25% splash.
smile.png

And of course, I love my one and only splash hen, so I'm a bit biased.
wink.png
But I do quite like blue as well, and that's the one feather color I'm lacking in my flock! Never thought of it until y'all brought it up a few pages back! I've always been more focused on egg color first, feather color second, but that might have to change...
big_smile.png

I thought I had that wrong LOL. Love me a little Frou-Frou. She is what makes me want a splash anything... but she's got so much personality too!!

If they bred Black to Splash, they would get 100% Blues.
wink.png

By the way, I didn't quote your post, but congrats on the Legbars!
big_smile.png
Fingers crossed your girls hatch! The breeder I went to for my Legbars had an all male hatch out of the group that was supposed to have my two pullets, but then it worked out because now I have the Legbar I wanted as well as another breed I didn't know I wanted, a Bielefelder!
big_smile.png

But anyway, I think that's my luck, him hatching all boys. Even someone else hatching for me gets all boys.
roll.png
I have literally only gotten one female out of all of the straight run chicks I've gotten--even the 7 Guinea keets I hatched a couple years ago were all male.
th.gif
So yeah.
I was looking at those Bielefelder... I had never heard of them. Very pretty!

I've always wondered why they don't do that, say breed all splash hens to black roos. But there maybe be some profitable or logistical reason I'm missing.

rnchick74
Sounds like you need a real good layer and while I love our little BO our Golden Buff is easy going within the flock and very pretty. If you are open to a white chicken maybe look at Austra Whites. If I could add another breed to our original order it would be a Welsummer, a RIR or another EE.
For some reason I thought BO's don't lay that well... but I really don't need another broody. If my Silkie turns out to be a girl I assume she will be broody from time to time if I want to hatch eggs. Glad to hear your Golden Buff is easy going. That's what I keep hearing. Can't wait to get a few :)

It appears I have 2 roos out of 8 not bad
I guess that was straight run? Very cute :)

Now if Meyer's doesn't get an BLRW in for 7/14...I need to decide if I want an Australorp or a Buff Orp to add to my order to up the laying...or if I want to leave well enough alone.

Opinions?
Our BO, Big Mama is our sweetest hen and great with kids. We can't touch our BA but she is beautiful, they both are. The BO lays more often and we can pet her and pick her up. So I vote BO since she is good with kids.

Of course, my Golden Buff is sweet too and the best layer of jumbo eggs every day. I also love the Wyandottes. Such hard choices for you!

5 acres? Wow. I would have every si gle breed. I moved few months ago to a bigger house but the house I used to live was bought for guys who didnt allow me to have chickens. So I moved my chickens to a place with a guy openning a nursery. They have more space and are really spoiled. So now living in a bigger house I tried to get them back but felt bad for these guys. They are very nice people and didnt want to do that to them. I sold my coop and my chicks
1f629.png
1f62a.png
. Good thing I still go every friday to clean and visit them. Im pretty sure they recognize me. They are very tame and calm. Now Im planning to order the same thing plus the las 3 I mentioned to you but Im waiting for the new season since they are sold out right now. Hope I am lucky again this time. You should build an extension, buy some chicken wire and add more safe room for them

Here you see my coop in my previous place and then the new run for them at Their new place
1f629.png
. I miss them a lot

It's great you can still visit them. Glad to hear you are getting more soon, must be hard to wait.

I know some of you sell eggs. Does anyone sell chicks? I'm thinking of starting this next spring. I've heard of a candling class that is necessary to sell eggs off of private property in my area. Has anyone taken one? Did you need a small business license? I think I will. Any input in this area would be appreciated. I pretty much am looking for a better job. I'm hoping this will also allow me to attend my local farmers market to sell veggies and eggs. I have a very near by hardware/farm supply store where I'm hoping to sell chicks.
That sounds so neat. I've only sold eggs to friends, never chicks. I'd love to in the future though. I'll be interested to see what you find out.

Snow was killed by the dog too. When we drove up she is the last one trying to get away and we didn't reach her in time. So heartbreaking.
sad.png

She was such a beautiful lady. One of these days we'll get another one or two.

I hope that your chicks and chickens are all doing better now.

I love my Black Australorp, she is cuddly and sweet and we cuddled on the couch for an hour just a couple of nights ago... Mine are 6 weeks old at this point. She is beautiful and her green feather sheen is beautiful... She is supposed to lay 5-6 eggs per week. That's my vote
thumbsup.gif
BTW, mine are all Meyer's chickies.

Last edited:
Snow was killed by the dog too. When we drove up she is the last one trying to get away and we didn't reach her in time. So heartbreaking.
sad.png

She was such a beautiful lady. One of these days we'll get another one or two.

I hope that your chicks and chickens are all doing better now.
One of these days...
wink.png
. Already starting your list???

She is so pretty.

One of our Blue Andulasions is a splash, named her Splash too. She is not as speckled as Frou Frou, she looks more white or very light blue with a few splashes mixed in.
She's very pretty!!! Is she one of the flighty ones?

I love my Black Australorp, she is cuddly and sweet and we cuddled on the couch for an hour just a couple of nights ago... Mine are 6 weeks old at this point. She is beautiful and her green feather sheen is beautiful... She is supposed to lay 5-6 eggs per week. That's my vote
thumbsup.gif
BTW, mine are all Meyer's chickies.
She sounds cute... What else do you have??

I have two Buff Orpingtons that I love! They are the sweetest birds in my flock. If they suspect we are about to come out with treats, they pace back and forth at the gate. We did not get them from Meyers, but a local feed store. They started laying eggs this week. I can't tell you how many times we have been out with them, and they jump onto our laps.

as you can see, she likes to photobomb the other girls.

always looking for treats

when she was younger.

Hello everyone! It has been awhile since I have been on. Been very busy lately! I was wondering has anyone ordered the mottled cochin bantams from Meyer? I have never had bantams before but would LOVE to have a few of them! They are just so gorgeous!

Back
Top Bottom