Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

My other son is starting his Jr. year at Marist in Poughkeepsie.
Melabella and her Meyer flock live 18 miles away from Marist!
thumbsup.gif
If he ever needs a delivery of fresh eggs, I'd be more than happy to run it over to him!

MB

What are y'all's thoughts about having chicks shipped in the summer? I have only ordered in the spring before and have experanced the cold stress put on them but will the heat be bad on them as well?

I'm hoping these summer temps won't be as stressful. Really, these silly chicks like it hot anyway. Right? Lol

I FINALLY heard from that seller about my refund. Oh my! I'm sure it is difficult to sell off your flock and deal with the influx of messages but GEEZ! I was about to turn ugly over it. Thank God I didn't there! Emotionally I just can't take preparing for them to arrive again. She offered to send those two pullets on Monday. I just had to decline. I think I will be happy enough with the two Meyer blue ameraucanas that will be here soon anyway. And at least I know they are coming. I won't have two separate quarantines. And they are vaccinated. This has definitely left a bad taste in my mouth dealing with breeders. Blah!

17 days till hatch date!

Wow, I thought I replied to this post about 12 hours ago! I keep writing posts and then get called to do something and do click submit and then it disappears! Sorry.

Yes, I do live in CT and I avoid the GW at all costs, which is not easy to do when you use navigation. I swear that businesses on either side of the GW pay vehicle navigation companies big bucks to route us over the GW no matter where we are going! It is a hellish conspiracy! For most places that I go in NJ, DE or PA or anywhere south of CT, I take the Tappan Zee Bridge. It might be 20 miles longer but it could save you hours of stopped traffic and frustration! When my kids go to DE or NJ, I always have them put the Montvale Service area as their first destination so that the Nav takes them over the Tappan Zee and onto the Garden State Parkway instead of the GW and I-95. After they top of their tanks with gas at that rest area (gas is so much cheaper in NJ and they pump it for you!), they put their final destination into the Nav and on they go! Coming from PA on 78 or 80, that Montvale Rest Area would work for you as well.

What school did you look at in CT? My daughter will be starting classes at Sacred Heart in Fairfield in 31 days! A gorgeous campus, btw! The buildings are 80% brand new and there is lots of green! Where does your other son go in NY?

WOW! Being originally from outside Phila, I have not thought about that traffic in years! I would never drive 95 up there, but here in SC, 95 is comparatively like a summer stroll. Ha!

Oh for goodness sake... we went to Fairfield U. and Quinnipiac!!  Sacred Heart looks like a gorgeous campus. She must be so excited!  Is she living on campus or are you close to there. My son liked both of the colleges we visited but we have a few more right around here to visit. We're headed to Lafayette and Elizabethtown and maybe F& M all in PA next week and the week after. Just day trips cause they are only 1-2 hours from our house. (secretly hoping one of those will be first choice cause not so far from home.)  
My other son is starting his Jr. year at Marist in Poughkeepsie. He is very happy there but honestly my kids are pretty easy going and as long as they are in a nice environment with a few similar kids around they are fine. That's about 3 1/2 hrs from here. 

You were so close! Fairfield U is literally 2 miles from my work and Quinnipiac is 6 miles from my house! How crazy is that? I looked at Marist with my son, who is the same age as yours. Imagine if we were on tour together? That would make it an incredibly small world! My son loved the campus being right on the river. So beautiful. Sadly, he didn't get in. He ended up at a liberal arts school outside Boston but has since decided that liberal arts is not for him. He will be starting at SUNY Cobleskill, an Ag school, studying animal industry or wildlife management next month and we could not be happier for him!

What are y'all's thoughts about having chicks shipped in the summer? I have only ordered in the spring before and have experanced the cold stress put on them but will the heat be bad on them as well?

I'm hoping these summer temps won't be as stressful. Really, these silly chicks like it hot anyway. Right? Lol

@jonsccm, I agree with Christine. As long as the temps don't go too much over 80-85, they should be ok. Won't need any warming pads. They must ship them with some kind of cooling gel or a lot of gro-gel to keep them hydrated. I would definitely ask customer service what they do for extra precaution in hot weather. And, of course, please report back to us!

I FINALLY heard from that seller about my refund. Oh my! I'm sure it is difficult to sell off your flock and deal with the influx of messages but GEEZ! I was about to turn ugly over it. Thank God I didn't there! Emotionally I just can't take preparing for them to arrive again. She offered to send those two pullets on Monday. I just had to decline. I think I will be happy enough with the two Meyer blue ameraucanas that will be here soon anyway. And at least I know they are coming. I won't have two separate quarantines. And they are vaccinated. This has definitely left a bad taste in my mouth dealing with breeders. Blah!

17 days till hatch date!

I am so glad you had this option. I think it will all work out for the best! 17 days will be here in no time!

@jonsccm, I agree with Christine. As long as the temps don't go too much over 80-85, they should be ok. Won't need any warming pads. They must ship them with some kind of cooling gel or a lot of gro-gel to keep them hydrated. I would definitely ask customer service what they do for extra precaution in hot weather. And, of course, please report back to us!

LOL! It's 85 right now and not even 10am yet. But @jonsccm if I remember correctly, when my chicks came last sept, it was hotter than it is now. They didn't show any signs of stress.

Very exciting day yesterday! One of my Meyers white egg layers finally joined the party. Her egg is the littlest on the end:

The bottom 3 eggs are all Meyer's girls (around 22 weeks old). But we are not sure if it was:

Checkers (the Exchequer) or Buffy (the Buff Laced Polish)

Hi, so what is everyone's thoughts on feeding your layers more protein during the summer, due to the fact that in the heat they eat less? I have been reading about this argument, we are feeding a mix 16% layer pellets, 18% layer crumbles, a bit of scratch. They get oster shells and grit. I am fermenting their feed, growing & sprouting seeds&nuts, they free range and get our table scrapes and scrapes from our organic gardens. During the winter I am planning on getting into growing fodder, as we have barley. We got them for eggs and if needed meat. We du plan on selling eggs and with 26 hens we will have plenty. Of course family and friends will be given eggs.

I am starting to track feed costs, how much they eat and how much feed we are going through. I have heard that feed costs reduce when feeding fermented feed, plus it is just better for them. They love it and their coats really benefit. Not to mention, their poop stinks less! :D:D

Today during free range we had one hen find a baby mouse, she killed and ate it. Another found a frog, same thing. So they are doing great!
Does anyone have a few spreadsheets they would be willing to share.

t
Very exciting day yesterday! One of my Meyers white egg layers finally joined the party. Her egg is the littlest on the end: The bottom 3 eggs are all Meyer's girls (around 22 weeks old). But we are not sure if it was: Checkers (the Exchequer) or Buffy (the Buff Laced Polish)
:woot - congrats and what pretty eggs!

Back
Top Bottom