Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

For the tail feathers, it's not the tail feathers themselves to worry about, it's if they have the sickle feathers and pointy saddle/hackle feathers. Post a pic and we should be able to tell. How old is Amber now?

Update on our Amber... she has lost interest in food.
sad.png
We think she got chilled last night because the house got pretty cold with the rain we had and she has neosporin all over her. We put a heat lamp on her but she still didn't perk up. We couldn't take her outside because it was chilly and rainy all day. I eventually got too worried and blended some yogurt, electrolytes, chick food, and blueberries up and put the liquid in a syringe and made her eat some. It seemed to stimulate her appetite and she ended up eating a meal worm and a little piece of watermelon on her own. :) Not much but I'm happy to see something in her system. My daughter syringe fed her again 2 hours later but she didn't eat anything but what she made her but when we put her back in the cage she did start drinking on her own so that's good. Now I'm going to have to call my daughter every few hours and remind her to feed her.
th.gif

We bought this stuff that is supposed to help new skin regrow and have started spraying that on her instead of the neosporin. I feel like it covers better. I think we'll do the neosporin every other day and the skin stuff the other days. The skin stuff smells good too. I'm just hoping she keeps eating and the weather gets nice enough to bring her out for a little while each day.

Can't wait to see all the chick photos soon!

For the tail feathers, it's not the tail feathers themselves to worry about, it's if they have the sickle feathers and pointy saddle/hackle feathers. Post a pic and we should be able to tell. How old is Amber now? Update on our Amber... she has lost interest in food.
sad.png
We think she got chilled last night because the house got pretty cold with the rain we had and she has neosporin all over her. We put a heat lamp on her but she still didn't perk up. We couldn't take her outside because it was chilly and rainy all day. I eventually got too worried and blended some yogurt, electrolytes, chick food, and blueberries up and put the liquid in a syringe and made her eat some. It seemed to stimulate her appetite and she ended up eating a meal worm and a little piece of watermelon on her own. :) Not much but I'm happy to see something in her system. My daughter syringe fed her again 2 hours later but she didn't eat anything but what she made her but when we put her back in the cage she did start drinking on her own so that's good. Now I'm going to have to call my daughter every few hours and remind her to feed her.
th.gif
We bought this stuff that is supposed to help new skin regrow and have started spraying that on her instead of the neosporin. I feel like it covers better. I think we'll do the neosporin every other day and the skin stuff the other days. The skin stuff smells good too. I'm just hoping she keeps eating and the weather gets nice enough to bring her out for a little while each day. Can't wait to see all the chick photos soon!
I'm sorry about your Amber. Sunni did the same thing for me. She refused to eat, so we made her. Doing that saved her life. Just keep doing what you're doing and it may save Amber too. I hope she pulls through this for you. :hugs She seems like a fighter, and that's definitely a good thing. :) Okay, that's a relief about the tail feathers. so far I haven't noticed any Saddle/Hackle feathers growing in. My Amber just turned 12 weeks old on Sunday.

Last edited:
I just checked the Post Office site and they are here somewhere, the estimated delivery is 12pm today! A day earlier then I expected!
wee.gif
I hope they're all okay!

I hope Amber hangs in there.
fl.gif

Update on our Amber... she has lost interest in food.
sad.png
th.gif

We bought this stuff that is supposed to help new skin regrow and have started spraying that on her instead of the neosporin. I feel like it covers better. I think we'll do the neosporin every other day and the skin stuff the other days. The skin stuff smells good too. I'm just hoping she keeps eating and the weather gets nice enough to bring her out for a little while each day.

Can't wait to see all the chick photos soon!
fl.gif
I'm hoping she has a good day today!

I just checked the Post Office site and they are here somewhere, the estimated delivery is 12pm today! A day earlier then I expected!
wee.gif
I hope they're all okay!

I hope Amber hangs in there.
fl.gif
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! I bet they're fine... perfect weather for shipping
celebrate.gif

This is just the 2nd time for the Golden Lakenvelder. The one I ordered for the 3rd time is the Golden Laced Wyandotte. I knew for sure when I received the call they would say that it wasn't available too, but so far so good. I hope I get one and she survives and also is a "she". I was really surprised that they didn't have enough female White Leghorns, I figured they would always have a ton of those. I guess no one get predict how many females and males end up hatching out, not even a hatchery.
wink.png
I knew it was a golden somthing lol but I'm with you I figured they would have a ton of white leghorns. I have a BLRW on this order and if I like her I may go for a golden one. I can't wait too see pics of everyone!

Nancy we are only getting 2 silkies in the order but with the ones we already have we will have 6 total. I feel ya on the st run cause 3 of my 4 are males, we are prob gonna have to rehome our white roo cause him and my blue one keep fighting and we already have a white hen. And yes they are my first ducks! I've wanted ducks since I was really young but my parents would never let me keep any of the ducklings I found (we lived on a lake with a ton of Muscovys so we ended up with lost ducklings every year) but almost 20 years later I finally get to have my ducklings! Hubby got me a iPhone 5 today so hopefully ill have better luck getting photos on here than with my ipad.

Lynn sorry about your lakenvelder. Isn't this like the 3rd time you've tried to order one?!
Can't wait to see the ducks!! So happy for you that you are finally getting them. They grow so fast don't they?

One of my girls just did the egg song!! I was outside sitting with one of my cats in the yard and I heard a very young sounding egg song. I'm not sure who it was because they stopped as soon as I got to the coop. My adult girls do the egg song so many times every day that it must've rubbed off on one of the little girls. It was either Amber or Ellie the two EE's, because they were the only two who weren't resting up on the roosts before bed. Maybe they'll be early layers?

I also have a question about Amber for those of you who have adult Easter Eggers. Do female EE's ever get dark green iridescent tail feathers? Amber looks nothing like a cockerel, but her tail feathers are the same color as my two RIR boys. The rest of her coloring looks like a pullets would, and she doesn't have hardly any comb or wattles. I'll try and get some pictures posted tomorrow to show you what I mean about the tail.
Yay for the egg song! My Izzy the EE laid at 18 weeks and 3 days. Still waiting on the others though. So you could have an early layer! My EE Cleo has iridescent feathers around her neck so I wouldn't worry as the others have said. Even my RIR girls have a pretty sheen to their couple of black tail feathers.

Try dying their vents with different colored food coloring : )
That would be funny!! Does that really work?

Okay, all here, plus one. My CW has a wry neck, any advice?

the other 16 look great! Just concerned about the one

Last edited:
Can't wait to see the ducks!!  So happy for you that you are finally getting them. They grow so fast don't they?

Yay for the egg song!  My Izzy the EE laid at 18 weeks and 3 days. Still waiting on the others though. So you could have an early layer!  My EE Cleo has iridescent feathers around her neck so I wouldn't worry as the others have said. Even my RIR girls have a pretty sheen to their couple of black tail feathers. 

That would be funny!!  Does that really work?

Yup, I used blue kote on a pullet vent area that got injured and her eggs had smears/streaks of purple on them for the next day or two. So when I wanted to see if a certain bird was laying or not, I'd spray her vent with blue kote. Someone else suggested using food coloring because it fades out of the feathers faster.

Okay, all here, plus one. My CW has a wry neck, any advice?

the other 16 look great! Just concerned about the one
I had 2 with wry neck. I went to Walgreens and got all of the stuff listed on this blog http://www.bucknrunranch.com/blog/2011/11/02/wry-neck-in-baby-chick-video/ and fed it to them with an eyedropper (also purchased at Walgreens). Both recovered within 12 hours and now I can't even tell which ones they were. I have also heard that Vitamin E alone will work (that would be a lot cheaper).
  • 2 TBS Pedialyte (from freezer pop)
  • 2 drops liquid Baby Vitamin with no iron
  • 100 units (squirt out half a capsule) Vimamin E
  • 50 mcg Selenium (1/4 tablet crushed)

I had 2 with wry neck. I went to Walgreens and got all of the stuff listed on this blog http://www.bucknrunranch.com/blog/2011/11/02/wry-neck-in-baby-chick-video/ and fed it to them with an eyedropper (also purchased at Walgreens). Both recovered within 12 hours and now I can't even tell which ones they were. I have also heard that Vitamin E alone will work (that would be a lot cheaper).
  • 2 TBS Pedialyte (from freezer pop)
  • 2 drops liquid Baby Vitamin with no iron
  • 100 units (squirt out half a capsule) Vimamin E
  • 50 mcg Selenium (1/4 tablet crushed)
thanks!

Back
Top Bottom