Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

Ok - I have a definite breeder of cream legbars. The farm is 1,5 hrs from me, which isn't very far really since it takes 45 minutes to get to real "country". The price is competitive & the lineage is good. Not that I care about show birds, but I would like decent quality!

So I think I'm going to just go for my local person & not worry about trying to fight over Meyer's limited supply. Now the REAL question...do I get 1 or 2
hide.gif

That's a great idea, just need to convince the DH. Guess we posted at the same time?

I really would rather give them away or sell them, so I would not have any more flighty small hens. They are sweet chickens, but there is just too many stray dogs around and cars and neighbors, etc. I do not want any trouble, if clipping their wings work that'd be good, but if I gave 3 away, I'd have room for 3 chicks? Hmmmm. They are cool chickens to watch though, I love the Blue Andulasion and Golden Campine breeds, but I think I need to stick with the bigger ones. I wonder if the bantams can fly as high too? Chicken keeping can get so complicated at times.
sad.png

Some bantams are flighty some aren't. I find that the spanish breeds are the flightiest. OEG birds seem flightier to me but I don't have personal experience with them. Silkies can't fly at all and I've never seen our D'Uccle try to go anywhere. I don't find our bantam cochins to be flighty either, they have never tried getting out. We had one polish and 2 andalusians that were our escape artists. Our other polish is fine but I don't think I'll be getting either of these breeds again.

What a cute little egg! Congrats! and it's green!!! Yay!!!!
wee.gif

What a cool color green!

Ok - I have a definite breeder of cream legbars. The farm is 1,5 hrs from me, which isn't very far really since it takes 45 minutes to get to real "country". The price is competitive & the lineage is good. Not that I care about show birds, but I would like decent quality!

So I think I'm going to just go for my local person & not worry about trying to fight over Meyer's limited supply. Now the REAL question...do I get 1 or 2
hide.gif

Definitely 2. It would be horrible if you only got 1 and something happened to it!

So I worked on a new feeder today

I still need to twick It a bit but it holds about 165 lb of feed and so far is working great!

That's great. How many chickens are you feeding?

Definitely 2. It would be horrible if you only got 1 and something happened to it!
You are SUCH an enabler!!! I'm going to be over my chicken limit, but I'm 99% sure 1 of the silkies is a boy - so that one will eventually head to a friend's house. So I will only be 2 over my limit...chickens are hard to count & they never line up...I can play it off as 6
wink.png

You are SUCH an enabler!!! I'm going to be over my chicken limit, but I'm 99% sure 1 of the silkies is a boy - so that one will eventually head to a friend's house. So I will only be 2 over my limit...chickens are hard to count & they never line up...I can play it off as 6
wink.png

I think chicken limits are written knowing everyone is going to keep 1-2 (or 10) more so they keep the numbers low so you'll actually be at the number they really want.
The only time they'll come count any way is if a neighbor complains. Just keep them quiet with eggs. :)

I think chicken limits are written knowing everyone is going to keep 1-2 (or 10) more so they keep the numbers low so you'll actually be at the number they really want.
The only time they'll come count any way is if a neighbor complains. Just keep them quiet with eggs. :)
Yeah, my neighbor who will be closest to the chickens doesn't care as long as he doesn't hear a rooster or smell nasties. I always share garden goodies with them, so eggs will be a natural offering as well. And from what I've heard, if you are "inspected" you have plenty of notice to bring 1-2 chickens inside temporarily
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom