Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

Hey, everyone! My Meyer babies hit 8 weeks old today!! :D Here they are!

Elda the Silver Gray Dorking:

I am totally in love with this breed! :love

Kit-kit the SGD:

Georgie the clumsy Black Copper Marans:

Louise the graceful BCM:

Mabel the Welsummer:

And a few of the girls that are not from Meyer's. Here's Poppy the pretty Legbar, who is 9 weeks old:

Violet the Bielefelder, also 9 weeks old:

And one I don't think I've posted here before, Tilde the Swedish Flower Hen. She's here because I moved her in with the babies. She's having a hard time with the big girl flock, so I'm hoping she'll get some courage from being the big birdy in the flock. :) If I remember right, Til is about 10 or 11 months old.

Whenever Til is near the fence, the babies all pile up next to her. :love They even preen when she does! It's too cute!

Last edited:
Phew!
Finally heard from the seller today. She said she thought she had already contacted me, but she was waiting to mail them till tomorrow because of weather. Oh my goodness! She will send me tracking info tomorrow. :celebrate

Awesome news!!! What a relief that must be!

I must see those spreadsheets! They sound too good not to be shared!!!
Ha ha they're not that great. I also use a calendar for my gardening/ planting and put key chicken things on that calendar too. I am a little obsessive, but I am much more forgetful so that is why I keep track of things.

This is my egg count/weight sheet. I have it printed until the end of the year and just write down in pencil each day. It is not correct all the time since it is hard to tell which hen lays each white egg since most white eggs basically look the same.

Here is a screen shot of the basic info of each breed and their names, how many eggs, broodiness potential etc. All the basic stuff on the Meyer website and more related to my chickens.

My BR is one of my best layers. I get 5-6 eggs a week from her. My PR is skittish and an ok layer, I don't know if I'd get another.
I'm with you on the campines and andalusians - too flighty

The only chicken I've had go broody is my cochin, which are known for it. It's crazy you've had so many breeds go broody.

Here's my chicken board. http://www.pinterest.com/trsturself/chickens/
One of my BR's lays more then the other and they are such sweet chickens too that's why the feelings are mixed. They are great chickens to have with kids too.

I love your pinterest board, so neat! I am just trying to figure it our myself. That's a neat idea to put the chickens you want on there.

Phew!
Finally heard from the seller today. She said she thought she had already contacted me, but she was waiting to mail them till tomorrow because of weather. Oh my goodness! She will send me tracking info tomorrow.
celebrate.gif
That is awesome news!!! So happy for you!

Hey, everyone! My Meyer babies hit 8 weeks old today!!
big_smile.png
Here they are!

Elda the Silver Gray Dorking:

I am totally in love with this breed!
love.gif

Kit-kit the SGD:

Georgie the clumsy Black Copper Marans:

Louise the graceful BCM:

Mabel the Welsummer:

And a few of the girls that are not from Meyer's. Here's Poppy the pretty Legbar, who is 9 weeks old:

Violet the Bielefelder, also 9 weeks old:

And one I don't think I've posted here before, Tilde the Swedish Flower Hen. She's here because I moved her in with the babies. She's having a hard time with the big girl flock, so I'm hoping she'll get some courage from being the big birdy in the flock.
smile.png
If I remember right, Til is about 10 or 11 months old.

Whenever Til is near the fence, the babies all pile up next to her.
love.gif
They even preen when she does! It's too cute!

Lovely as ever! You're getting close to the "half way to eggs" mark for them now!

I must see those spreadsheets! They sound too good not to be shared!!!
Ha ha they're not that great. I also use a calendar for my gardening/ planting and put key chicken things on that calendar too. I am a little obsessive, but I am much more forgetful so that is why I keep track of things. This is my egg count/weight sheet. I have it printed until the end of the year and just write down in pencil each day. It is not correct all the time since it is hard to tell which hen lays each white egg since most white eggs basically look the same. Here is a screen shot of the basic info of each breed and their names, how many eggs, broodiness potential etc. All the basic stuff on the Meyer website and more related to my chickens.
Those are so simple yet awesome! Very useful information. I would like to keep track of mine but with 24 chickens starting to lay around the same time, I don't think I could keep track of who is laying what. This month, it looks like the RIR, Golden Buff and EE are your best layers. Has that been your experience overall?

Those are so simple yet awesome! Very useful information. I would like to keep track of mine but with 24 chickens starting to lay around the same time, I don't think I could keep track of who is laying what. This month, it looks like the RIR, Golden Buff and EE are your best layers. Has that been your experience overall?
Yup, that seems to be the case, the RIR, Golden Buff and EE's are the best layers so far. I have 21 chickens now and eventually once I settle into which breeds I still need and the breeds we're going to keep I'll probably just do an overall egg count each day and watch the health, ages, etc. I'm still so new to all this, so tracking helps right now.

Phew!
Finally heard from the seller today. She said she thought she had already contacted me, but she was waiting to mail them till tomorrow because of weather. Oh my goodness! She will send me tracking info tomorrow.
celebrate.gif
WOOHOO!!! Glad you now know what happened, but still kind of stinky that you were left worrying!

Yup, that seems to be the case, the RIR, Golden Buff and EE's are the best layers so far. I have 21 chickens now and eventually once I settle into which breeds I still need and the breeds we're going to keep I'll probably just do an overall egg count each day and watch the health, ages, etc. I'm still so new to all this, so tracking helps right now.

Amazing. I thought I knew who was laying which egg. When they first started, I obsessed over which egg came from who. But my Dellie and RIR lay such similar eggs, I gave up. LOL.

Phew!
celebrate.gif

Yeah!!! Good to know she had their best interests in mind.

How cute! How big are eggs from those guys?
I don't know yet. She's almost 20wks so hopefully soon!

I used to keep track of each egg but after moving I haven't been doing anything. I am going to start tracking total egg count each day soon. The only reason I want to track eggs is because we sell them and I'd like to see how much they are paying for themselves. I started tracking feed costs for all the animals and income from them. I also have a spreadsheet for age (weeks, months, and year) as well as what the breed average egg count is. While I want to know about income/expense, we don't sell the eggs to make money per se, just to offset some feed costs, so it's more curiosity than a determinant about which breeds we want. But in a year or two that might come into play.

Back
Top Bottom