Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

I ordered the leans adopt me bargain and the fry pan bargain there was 40 chicks sadly one passed but better then all like my mcmurray hatchery order
And i ordered more chicks yesterday as dogs killed my glw roo so i got me two blrw roos and 11 meaties.

I ordered the leans adopt me bargain and the fry pan bargain there was 40 chicks sadly one passed but better then all like my mcmurray hatchery order
And i ordered more chicks yesterday as dogs killed my glw roo so i got me two blrw roos and 11 meaties.
Wow 40 chicks at one time, I can't even imagine! Any pics?

I've wanted to post about a bunch of things but its late so I'll keep it short.

Got the test results back from the fecal float test for our flock, it was negative, no parasites or eggs. I know this doesn't test for everything but its a bit of peace of mind. Everyone is looking good and laying well. Also got a sympathy card from the vet yesterday, handwritten and personalized. It made me cry all over again.

And I cried again when I read that Pipd who I just lost one of her two BCM pullets, Louise. I'm hoping there's nothing wrong with Meyer's BCM breeding program. My heart goes out to you Pipd!

I had the chicks outside in the covered movable pen from 1-7pm today, it was beautiful and they were really enjoying it. I carried in my Wellie first then came back for the other two who don't like to be apart. I picked up Snow, the White Rock (son just named her Snowflake) first and the Brahma walked out after her, out of curiosity I wanted to see if she would follow us. She did, without hesitation, keeping pace up the stone steps, through the gate, up the steps to the porch, she had absolutely no qualms about going through the door I held open, she just followed us back into the house like a puppy. Our older batch were always hesitant about following me back into the house on foot, especially when we got to the door, even when I had treats. No treats this time, just holding her sister and bff. I love her, she is so adorable!

Husband had said last Sat I could get another chicken if I wanted to, I said we would talk about it later. The easiest thing to do would be to get one of the started RIR pullets from the nursery who gets them from Meyer but I think I would rather wait, see how this year goes, if we have anymore losses maybe get two chicks next spring. I told him as much yesterday and he said, well we are down to 7 that's just one more than the original 6 we planned, we'll see how they do integrating and with space and maybe next spring we'll get a few more chicks. Ha! And he said no more. I would like to bring red and black back into the flock color, husband suggested Australorp this time, we'll see.

Wow 40 chicks at one time, I can't even imagine!  Any pics?

I've wanted to post about a bunch of things but its late so I'll keep it short.

Got the test results back from the fecal float test for our flock, it was negative, no parasites or eggs.  I know this doesn't test for everything but its a bit of peace of mind.  Everyone is looking good and laying well.  Also got a sympathy card from the vet yesterday, handwritten and personalized.  It made me cry all over again.

And I cried again when I read that Pipd who I just lost one of her two BCM pullets, Louise.  I'm hoping there's nothing wrong with Meyer's BCM breeding program.  My heart goes out to you Pipd!

I had the chicks outside in the covered movable pen from 1-7pm today, it was beautiful and they were really enjoying it.  I carried in my Wellie first then came back for the other two who don't like to be apart.  I picked up Snow, the White Rock (son just named her Snowflake) first and the Brahma walked out after her, out of curiosity I wanted to see if she would follow us.  She did, without hesitation, keeping pace up the stone steps, through the gate, up the steps to the porch, she had absolutely no qualms about going through the door I held open, she just followed us back into the house like a puppy.  Our older batch were always hesitant about following me back into the house on foot, especially when we got to the door, even when I had treats.  No treats this time, just holding her sister and bff.  I love her, she is so adorable!

Husband had said last Sat I could get another chicken if I wanted to, I said we would talk about it later.  The easiest thing to do would be to get one of the started RIR pullets from the nursery who gets them from Meyer but I think I would rather wait, see how this year goes, if we have anymore losses maybe get two chicks next spring.  I told him as much yesterday and he said, well we are down to 7 that's just one more than the original 6 we planned, we'll see how they do integrating and with space and maybe next spring we'll get a few more chicks.  Ha!  And he said no more.  I would like to bring red and black back into the flock color, husband suggested Australorp this time, we'll see.

This is when I first got them. I would take more pics but been bedridden for 2 weeks.

Heres a vid [VIDEO]

Last edited:
My chicks are due to hatch on April 27 and (hopefully) arrive the following day. Placed the order in December and haven't felt anxious and impatient about it until this week. Now I'm in "holy s*** do I have everything ready for them?!?!?!" mode. I wonder what I'll be like if I ever have kids.

My chicks are due to hatch on April 27 and (hopefully) arrive the following day. Placed the order in December and haven't felt anxious and impatient about it until this week. Now I'm in "holy s*** do I have everything ready for them?!?!?!" mode. I wonder what I'll be like if I ever have kids.

What breeds did you order. That was a long wait lol

Hey Gang, well I candled the 42 eggs in the bator. Hard to tell how I am doing, the EE have been hard to candle due to the coloring, makes it hard to really tell. We have 26 blue eggs in the bator, two white and the rest various shades of brown. I could see some definite clears, some with embryo's and veins, even saw movement in a couple embryo's while I was candling. Everything is staying in the bator until the next candling. The eggs that I marked from Saffron (our Wellie) and Little One (EE) I couldn't even see into them due to their coloring. Saffron's egg is rather dark and the Little One's is almost green and thick shelled. Sorry don't have any pictures as my candler was my hand a flashlight. Maybe for the next time I can get some pictures.

Our flock turned 1 year old on 04/14/15 and here I am candling eggs from our Meyer flock. Wow, we have come full circle with our rainbow flock from Meyer. It is all pretty exciting. I might have a thing for hatching, but we will see. It is all rather fascinating to be privy too.

I did nearly the same thing! Ordered in early January, and they arrived Wednesday! Such a long time, I couldn't wait, and hatched some eggs and bought some breeder chicks before they got here, but I am really really happy with my Meyer chicks. I only ordered 7, which isn't a lot to keep each other warm, but they arrived healthy and took right to eating and drinking. I had actually bought 3 chicks the day before from the local farm store, and I think it helped the Meyer chicks to get the idea of eating right away, as the others were already settled in. They are all doing well, and I can't believe how fast they're getting wing feathers. They grow out overnight!
It'll be very exciting for you when they arrive. We'll be waiting for pics!

@kkwinwy: I almost did the same thing. Went to tractor supply for some bantams then realized they have a 6 minimum. Talked myself out of it. I initially placed a larger order and a friend had to talk me out of it. "First flock so you don't want to risk overwhelming yourself" essentially but less tactful lol.

@Pandapaws23: I order golden laced wyandottes, Easter eggers, and barnevelders. 3 each then two cream legbars. It was a long wait but it catches up fast. Remember thinking "okay 4 months to get everything together" now it's almost panic mode.

@kkwinwy: I almost did the same thing. Went to tractor supply for some bantams then realized they have a 6 minimum. Talked myself out of it. I initially placed a larger order and a friend had to talk me out of it. "First flock so you don't want to risk overwhelming yourself" essentially but less tactful lol.

@Pandapaws23: I order golden laced wyandottes, Easter eggers, and barnevelders. 3 each then two cream legbars. It was a long wait but it catches up fast. Remember thinking "okay 4 months to get everything together" now it's almost panic mode.

I got 6 glw from them. They were to go with my glw roo but dogs killed him the day my chicks came so i had to order another roo. I ordered 2 blrw roos and meaties to fill it up. They should be here next week. Unless there out of blrw roos

Hey Gang, well I candled the 42 eggs in the bator. Hard to tell how I am doing, the EE have been hard to candle due to the coloring, makes it hard to really tell. We have 26 blue eggs in the bator, two white and the rest various shades of brown. I could see some definite clears, some with embryo's and veins, even saw movement in a couple embryo's while I was candling. Everything is staying in the bator until the next candling. The eggs that I marked from Saffron (our Wellie) and Little One (EE) I couldn't even see into them due to their coloring. Saffron's egg is rather dark and the Little One's is almost green and thick shelled. Sorry don't have any pictures as my candler was my hand a flashlight. Maybe for the next time I can get some pictures.

Our flock turned 1 year old on 04/14/15 and here I am candling eggs from our Meyer flock. Wow, we have come full circle with our rainbow flock from Meyer. It is all pretty exciting. I might have a thing for hatching, but we will see. It is all rather fascinating to be privy too.

Can't wait to see how you make out!!! I bought a LED maglight. Something like 210 lumens. I could see through most eggs but the speckles made it difficult on the darker eggs.

Back
Top Bottom