Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

Yeah, I wish I could order more!  But my babies are FINALLY getting along with the big chickens, so even though I really want more, it is probably a good thing I have been restricted from ordering more, now I only have one pen of chickens to take care of and January is not toooooo far away right??  This is my full wish list,

2 Blue Laced Red Wyandottes
2 Buff Brahmas
2 Barnvelders
2 Blue Copper Marans
2 Blue Ameraucanas
2 Swedish Flower Hens
2 Cream Legbars
2 Buff Laced Polish
2 Salmon Faverolles
1 Silver Penciled Rock
2 Lavender Orpingtons
6 Easter eggers.

You know how availability goes, so on January 1st I am going to place my order and just get as many of those as I can, but I know I will only be able to get like 1/3 to 1/2 of the breeds on there. The day I have freedom to buy any chickens I want whenever is going to be the day I need to buy 300 acres for all the chickens I will have.  Chicken fever hit me a bit too hard.....

And my Partridge Rock.  (Her name is Rey.)  Today she has been able to barely stand up, using her wings for support.  Yes, she is eating and drinking.   I thought about giving her something like Sav-a-chick, but I did not have any.  I think a weasel is what got them.  I think that is why Rey has been so weak, is because weasels suck blood, so I think she was low on blood.  

Aww yeah that makes sense and actually sounds like a good plan!!! You have self control lol

All those breeds sound great. But yes, get as many as you can :) or you could order earlier but have a 2017 hatch date as soon as that becomes available.

I thought about adding a Brahma hen or a Brahma rooster to this order but didn't. I wanted BLRW but they were sold out :( wanted a silver penciled rock but decided to wait. I have 2 EEs and they are great. I love my Buff Orps and want more colors. Tbh the only ones on that list I haven't considered are Marans and Polish. But more just would like to haves.

My must haves eventually are more Wyandottes as well as as many different color Orpingtons as possible and maybe Australorps LOL

I was finally able to add some more breeds though.

The order for October is 1 Silver Laced Wyandotte, 1 Golden Laced Wyandotte, 1 Speckled Sussex, 1 Partridge Rock, and 1 free chick. Can't wait to see what it's gonna be lol

I'm so happy because I've wanted them since I got my first last October but they were always sold out. Sad the BLRW is sold out because I wanted to get all the Wyandottes at once but still sooo happy O got the other 2 lol

I wanted all 4 Plymouth Rock varieties lol I have a Barred Rock and she's great.

Right now I have 1 Barred Rock, 2 Black Australorps, 3 Buff Orpingtons, and 2 Easter Eggers. Love all of them but can't wait for my new babies <3

As for your Partridge Rock aww that's a good sign! Hope she makes a full recovery! And in the future you may want to look into purchasing some Sav-A-Chick as well as Nutri-Drench. Both are very helpful to have on hand. I think I've heard some say you can also use a little bit of sugar water or some Gatorade or pedialyte to perk them up if you don't have it. Might help and maybe some egg. Good luck! And that makes sense!! Hope she gets better! Oh and maybe some stuff high in iron if it's lost blood

Aww yeah that makes sense and actually sounds like a good plan!!! You have self control lol

All those breeds sound great. But yes, get as many as you can
smile.png
or you could order earlier but have a 2017 hatch date as soon as that becomes available.

I thought about adding a Brahma hen or a Brahma rooster to this order but didn't. I wanted BLRW but they were sold out
sad.png
wanted a silver penciled rock but decided to wait. I have 2 EEs and they are great. I love my Buff Orps and want more colors. Tbh the only ones on that list I haven't considered are Marans and Polish. But more just would like to haves.

My must haves eventually are more Wyandottes as well as as many different color Orpingtons as possible and maybe Australorps LOL

I was finally able to add some more breeds though.

The order for October is 1 Silver Laced Wyandotte, 1 Golden Laced Wyandotte, 1 Speckled Sussex, 1 Partridge Rock, and 1 free chick. Can't wait to see what it's gonna be lol

I'm so happy because I've wanted them since I got my first last October but they were always sold out. Sad the BLRW is sold out because I wanted to get all the Wyandottes at once but still sooo happy O got the other 2 lol

I wanted all 4 Plymouth Rock varieties lol I have a Barred Rock and she's great.

Right now I have 1 Barred Rock, 2 Black Australorps, 3 Buff Orpingtons, and 2 Easter Eggers. Love all of them but can't wait for my new babies <3

As for your Partridge Rock aww that's a good sign! Hope she makes a full recovery! And in the future you may want to look into purchasing some Sav-A-Chick as well as Nutri-Drench. Both are very helpful to have on hand. I think I've heard some say you can also use a little bit of sugar water or some Gatorade or pedialyte to perk them up if you don't have it. Might help and maybe some egg. Good luck! And that makes sense!! Hope she gets better! Oh and maybe some stuff high in iron if it's lost blood
Haha. No, I do not have self control. I have been restricted because I don't have self control....My absolutely MUST HAVES for next year are Blue Copper Marans, Blue Ameraucanas, Cream Legbars, and Salmon Faverolles. I can breed the Blue Copper Marans and the Blue Ameraucanas to make a blue Olive Egger. I think that would be pretty cool. Ohhhhh, I just want ALL chickens!!!

Wait, what is the 4th Plymouth rock? I know the Barred, White, and Partridge. What is the other?

I love my 2 Black Australorps. I have a pair and her name is Midnight, and his name is Finn.

I have noticed that availability seems to be higher in the summer, so IF I can wait long enough (No way will that happen) I might get my chicks in the summer, because then the spring rush is over and maybe I can get more that way. But I will not be able to wait that long.

I have all the breeds you are getting in October, and love every one of them! The speckled sussex are sooo friendly and curious. They get too curious sometimes and peck you too hard. I bent down to pick up a chicken today and one of my speckled sussex pecked my earlobe so hard, I am surprised she did not pierce it!

Rey seems to have hit a brick wall and she is not really progressing in healing as much any more. I am going into town this evening, and I am going to run by the feed store and grab some Sav-A-Chick for her. If she did indeed lose blood, it is going to take her a while to heal her.

What can I give Rey that is high in Iron? I have been giving her bugs, but I think that is just protein.

Haha.  No, I do not have self control.  I have been restricted because I don't have self control....My absolutely MUST HAVES for next year are Blue Copper Marans, Blue Ameraucanas, Cream Legbars, and Salmon Faverolles.   I can breed the Blue Copper Marans and the Blue Ameraucanas to make a blue Olive Egger.  I think that would be pretty cool.  Ohhhhh, I just want ALL chickens!!!  

Wait, what is the 4th Plymouth rock?  I know the Barred, White, and Partridge.  What is the other?

I love my 2 Black Australorps.  I have a pair and her name is Midnight, and his name is Finn.

I have noticed that availability seems to be higher in the summer, so IF I can wait long enough (No way will that happen) I might get my chicks in the summer, because then the spring rush is over and maybe I can get more that way.  But I will not be able to wait that long.

I have all the breeds you are getting in October, and love every one of them! The speckled sussex are sooo friendly and curious.  They get too curious sometimes and peck you too hard.  I bent down to pick up a chicken today and one of my speckled sussex pecked my earlobe so hard, I am surprised she did not pierce it!

Rey seems to have hit a brick wall and she is not really progressing in healing as much any more.  I am going into town this evening, and I am going to run by the feed store and grab some Sav-A-Chick for her.  If she did indeed lose blood, it is going to take her a while to heal her.   

What can I give Rey that is high in Iron?  I have been giving her bugs, but I think that is just protein.

LOL that makes more sense :p Those are all gorgeous birds :) I want all the chickens too lol so hard having so many gorgeous breeds and varieties and only so much space and money and restrictions lol

The 4th is Silver Penciled!!! Meyer has it but only 1 per order, it was 3 last year. They're gorgeous. I think there might be more rock varieties but mostly projects, Meyer only has those 4.

I have 2 Black Australorp girls and I love them. They were a little mean at first and still have a harder peck than my others but they've calmed down and they're very sweet.

That must be why availability opened up and I was able to order mine lol hey, I've waited all year and since i got my first to order more so you can have self control :p

That's great to know! I'm glad! Thanks so much :) I mostly wanted the Specked Sussex so glad they're good haha

Aww that stinks :( hopefully the sav a chick helps and maybe see if they have nutridrench. Hope she recovers :/

Umm i think spinach might be high in iron but I'm not sure, I might have to Google it.

Found this and these 3 links. Might help. Obviously it's aimed at people but the foods are still high in iron.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/iron-deficiency-anemia/basics/prevention/con-20019327

I didn't even relauze but apparently vitamin C helps absorb it too, first link lists foods high in that too.

And some more

This ones like a picture slideshow

http://www.everydayhealth.com/pictures/foods-high-in-iron/

Lots of specifics in this one

http://www.m.webmd.com/diet/iron-rich-foods

Anyone have any Wyandottes? I've heard about 50/50 being mean or being nice and recently some people saying Wyandottes are always mean or bullies and to not add them so it's making me really nervous. However I have had good luck with Meyer so far so my hope is that Meyer birds will be different. I've heard it's more the Silver Laced that are more mean.

Right now I have 1 Barred Rock, 2 Black Australorps, 3 Buff Orpingtons, and 2 Easter Eggers. Supposedly the Orps and EEs are calm and gentled and can be bullied but mine hold their own and shove their way to the food when fed treats. I do have one shy EE and Orp but the rest have no problems holding their own, pecking others, getting food first, etc. They were hatched October 26th, 2015.

I am adding 1 Golden Laced Wyandotte, 1 Silver Laced Wyandotte, 1 Speckled Sussex, 1 Partridge Rock, and 1 Meyer Meal Maker (the free chick, idk what breed).

Obviously Speckled Sussex are very friendly and gentle.

So I guess my concern is will the Wyandottes be extremely nasty bullies and terrorize the poor little Speckled Sussex or will they get along okay?

And next, will they turn nasty and bully my older hens or cause problems with integration?

I am also building a new, much bigger, coop and run and planning to free range more (mine don't really get out atm) so I am hoping that helps, unless it's just a personality trait.

I can deal with normal pecking order stuff or even slight bullying (my Australorps were a little mean but calmed down once they started laying) but I do not want bullies or terrors that will stress the flock out.

So I guess what I'm saying is are they going to be jerks and I'll regret it or are Meyer chicks different?

They hatch October 11th and I placed the order just over 2 weeks ago. I could always cancel but I really do want to try them.

I don't think I could eat my chickens since they are pets and egg layers but I would have no problem rehoming a mean one. And these new ones are admittedly for looks, as well as the Sussex's reputation for being extremely friendly.

Thanks.

I had two Silver Laced Wyandottes and a golden laced Wyandotte (not from Meyer). The 2 silvers were top hens but not nasty.... Until I started adding to the flock. They were relentless at terrorizing the little ones. So I gave them to someone else. My Golden Laced Wyandotte took top hen position but she's way better at maintaining flock order in a calmer way. I actually just purchased 2 SLWyandottes from Meyer. So far they are low on the pecking order.

Which I have to give a shout out to Meyer. I ordered 25 chicks and 1 Wyandotte didn't make it. They gave me the option of reimbursement or buy 2 more chicks and they would send them for free. So I bought an EE and a Blue White Crested Polish which we've been wanting but they had been sold out until now. Win win.

Anyone have any Wyandottes? I've heard about 50/50 being mean or being nice and recently some people saying Wyandottes are always mean or bullies and to not add them so it's making me really nervous. However I have had good luck with Meyer so far so my hope is that Meyer birds will be different. I've heard it's more the Silver Laced that are more mean.

Right now I have 1 Barred Rock, 2 Black Australorps, 3 Buff Orpingtons, and 2 Easter Eggers. Supposedly the Orps and EEs are calm and gentled and can be bullied but mine hold their own and shove their way to the food when fed treats. I do have one shy EE and Orp but the rest have no problems holding their own, pecking others, getting food first, etc. They were hatched October 26th, 2015.

I am adding 1 Golden Laced Wyandotte, 1 Silver Laced Wyandotte, 1 Speckled Sussex, 1 Partridge Rock, and 1 Meyer Meal Maker (the free chick, idk what breed).

Obviously Speckled Sussex are very friendly and gentle.

So I guess my concern is will the Wyandottes be extremely nasty bullies and terrorize the poor little Speckled Sussex or will they get along okay?

And next, will they turn nasty and bully my older hens or cause problems with integration?

I am also building a new, much bigger, coop and run and planning to free range more (mine don't really get out atm) so I am hoping that helps, unless it's just a personality trait.

I can deal with normal pecking order stuff or even slight bullying (my Australorps were a little mean but calmed down once they started laying) but I do not want bullies or terrors that will stress the flock out.

So I guess what I'm saying is are they going to be jerks and I'll regret it or are Meyer chicks different?

They hatch October 11th and I placed the order just over 2 weeks ago. I could always cancel but I really do want to try them.

I don't think I could eat my chickens since they are pets and egg layers but I would have no problem rehoming a mean one. And these new ones are admittedly for looks, as well as the Sussex's reputation for being extremely friendly.

Thanks.

I have a gold laced wyandotte (named Dottie, how original of me
big_smile.png
). I do not know Dottie's history, as I got her as an adult from local animal control. She is very friendly, outgoing, and athletic. She literally races to me when she sees me walk outside, in case I may have a treat. She's quite fun to have around since she is wonderful with people. However, Dottie is also definitely the top hen of my group, When we added a pair of adult easter egg hens to the group a few months ago, she was really mean to them and it has been a slow process for her to tolerate them as part of the group. My solution was to order 10 docile chicks from Meyer (arrives in 2 weeks). Hopefully by the end of the year, they will be ready to integrate and the numbers of docile hens will greatly outnumber Dottie.

I had two Silver Laced Wyandottes and a golden laced Wyandotte (not from Meyer). The 2 silvers were top hens but not nasty.... Until I started adding to the flock. They were relentless at terrorizing the little ones. So I gave them to someone else. My Golden Laced Wyandotte took top hen position but she's way better at maintaining flock order in a calmer way. I actually just purchased 2 SLWyandottes from Meyer. So far they are low on the pecking order.

Which I have to give a shout out to Meyer. I ordered 25 chicks and 1 Wyandotte didn't make it. They gave me the option of reimbursement or buy 2 more chicks and they would send them for free. So I bought an EE and a Blue White Crested Polish which we've been wanting but they had been sold out until now. Win win.

I have a gold laced wyandotte (named Dottie, how original of me :D ).  I do not know Dottie's history, as I got her as an adult from local animal control.  She is very friendly, outgoing, and athletic. She literally races to me when she sees me walk outside, in case I may have a treat.  She's quite fun to have around since she is wonderful with people.  However, Dottie is also definitely the top hen of my group,  When we added a pair of adult easter egg hens to the group a few months ago, she was really mean to them and it has been a slow process for her to tolerate them as part of the group.  My solution was to order 10 docile chicks from Meyer (arrives in 2 weeks).  Hopefully by the end of the year, they will be ready to integrate and the numbers of docile hens will greatly outnumber Dottie.

Thank you both for the input!! It's definitely helpful.

So it seems to me like your birds are only aggressive when adding new additions? I know Amy you got rid of your two SLWs but were they, and yours too Iain, mean or bullies at all before adding the new chicks? Or just top hen?

Thankfully after these 5 I don't really plan to add any more chicks, especially since 8 was supposed to be my limit LOL, so it seems to me like they may not necessarily be mean to flockmates they were raised with? Just new ones?

Although chickens can live a while and maybe in a few years I might get more chickens. But hopefully by then they will have calmed down and/or I'll have more hens to outnumber the mean ones and/or hopefully I'll have moved and will be able to have a rooster. Do you think if I had a good rooster and/or a broody they would put unruly bully hens in their place? I can't have one here but maybe by the time I'm ready to add even more chickens.

It seems to me like they are friendly with people? Which is good because I want pets, although I don't spend much time with my current flock right now. Working on it though.

My experience with Dottie is that she was only mean to the new hens, and that tapers off slowly until eventually newbies are part of her group, even if they are at the bottom of the pecking order. I find Dottie to be a fair and strong leader of her group and have no regrets about getting her. And yes... she is definitely very friendly with people.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom