Mice

Try suet as bait on snap traps. It only tales a dab, and It is extremely effective, like a mouse in every trap !!! Every time !

This is what I use with GREAT success. Under a buck at Rural King.
20220607_070412.jpg

Search for Howard E.'s posts on rodent control. Trapping rarely works as the rodents are smart and learn to avoid the traps. Feed security does work 100% of the time, if they cannot eat, they have to leave.

Mice will be 'trappable', rats, not so much. For rats it takes bait stations and poison.
Great suggestions for baiting the mouse traps, need to try them here! We also are having the mice avoid or trip the peanut butter equipped snap traps.
And for mice, the original wood backed all metal snap traps are best, the 'modern' plastic types, not good.
Mary

Yeah, I would ask why they are there in the first place. Is there spilled feed? Especially if it is spring/summer, the mice aren't looking for warmth or winter nesting, so they must be there for food? Maybe the chickens can eat outside of the coop, or you can clean up any spills. We started soaking the feed, that ends up cleaner and they finish the powder in the mash more often.

I was wondering why my feed was going so fast. Went out one night with a headlight and saw tons of mice. Chickens love to hunt and eat them, but the hens sleep at night when the mice are out and about. Bought a Grandpa feeder. Chickens step on a treadle which opens it up for feeding. When they move off the treadle it closes. Easy to train the chickens to feed from it and any new chickens learn from the others. Just bought a larger one that holds several days worth of food and use the other for scratch. Don't see the mice anymore and not spending nearly as much on feed. Traps can't catch the mice as fast as they breed replacements.

So I have some mice in my chicken coop. I have set up some traps so my chickens cant get to them and so far nothing is working! I've tried cheese peanut butter and wet cat food. They will actually leave turds right by the trap. Any ideas ? Never had such picky mice before its driving me nuts. I really want to get rid of these guys.
our chickens love eating Mice, so did moms on her acerage

Back
Top Bottom