Michigan Hatchers! What'cha got cookin?

I'm almost done with my hatch but it's been very weird and I'm wondering if any one has experienced this. First dozen + were normal and they just popped out. Toward the end of day 21 I had one hatch and the liquid in the egg looked bubbly. The chick ended up glued in the shell and I had to assist. Same thing with next two chicks. One died in the shell! drowned it looks and the other got out and then stuck...dried to the floor of the incubator. I had to soften him up with water to get him off. His feathers feel like they were gelled and slicked down. Any ideas?

Oh the one little guy who was stuck IS pink. I put food coloring in the water so I can see if it is low. Normally I use blue. Not thinking I used pink which looks like blood. Luckily he hasn't been pecked. The others are some Serema and Cochin.

I had one get stuck like glue and had to assist. I had to give it a few sponge baths and I can still tell which one it is. It isn't as fluffy as the rest.
I just got done checking my eggs.. 4 duds. 3 quitters and one clear...not sure how I missed it the 1st time.
I had 6 White Leghorns that I purchased, only 2 were fertile and one quit developing. So I'm down to 1 Leghorn. But I've got olive Eggers, Ameraucanas, Welsummers, a BCM and some of my cochins still looking g good. This will be my last batch for the summer (I think).

Last edited:
Hi. I need advice. I have never hatched eggs before. A couple days ago, I noticed that my creme legbar hen went broody for the second time and I'm thinking about letting her hatch some eggs. The problem is that it's been raining frequently and my hens feet are muddy and some of that mud gets on the eggs they lay. Does a fertile egg need to be completely mud free or would a few specs of dirt not hurt an egg under a broody hen?

How long can a broody hen leave her nest before coming back to sit on them again without the eggs dying?

Last edited:
Hi La Vivi,

We test our broody hens using fake ceramic eggs )we only have two that have gone the distance so far) and move them to a private stock tank or brooder to see how serious they are. If we left them in with the flock, they would continue to allow the other hens to deposit eggs under them. :) When they settle down on the fake eggs with not a flinch of moving for a few days, then we put in a private waterer and dish of food for her so she can get off the eggs to stretch her legs and have a break. The true broody hen knows how long she can leave and they don't leave the eggs too long in a private, dark container. We put chicken wire over the top of the container we move the hen to and then a beach towel on the wire to darken the nest area. Then, we take the fake eggs away and put under real eggs. It helps to separate the broody out of the normal coop or rope off a place in the coop where she will be undisturbed. Good luck :)

Hi La Vivi,

We test our broody hens using fake ceramic eggs )we only have two that have gone the distance so far) and move them to a private stock tank or brooder to see how serious they are.  If we left them in with the flock, they would continue to allow the other hens to deposit eggs under them. :)  When they settle down on the fake eggs with not a flinch of moving for a few days, then we put in a private waterer and dish of food for her so she can get off the eggs to stretch her legs and have a break.  The true broody hen knows how long she can leave and they don't leave the eggs too long in a private, dark container.  We put chicken wire over the top of the container we move the hen to and then a beach towel on the wire to darken the nest area.  Then, we take the fake eggs away and put under real eggs.  It helps to separate the broody out of the normal coop or rope off a place in the coop where she will be undisturbed.  Good luck :)

Thanks, that's great advice. I'll do that.
Does anyone have an answer to my other question about a bit of dirt on the eggs?

The natural bloom that covers the eggs should protect them from any dirt or mud or poop. I think they'll be fine as long as they're not excessively muddy or wet. I just hatched eggs and some were pretty dirty/poopy.. they were fine. I just set them and never tried to wash them or get them clean. Nature has a way of protecting the embryos, I'm sure they'll be fine.

The natural bloom that covers the eggs should protect them from any dirt or mud or poop. I think they'll be fine as long as they're not excessively muddy or wet. I just hatched eggs and some were pretty dirty/poopy.. they were fine. I just set them and never tried to wash them or get them clean. Nature has a way of protecting the embryos, I'm sure they'll be fine.
I agree. We do brush off excessive dirt with dry brush/paper towel that is slightly damp on the spot only. When we incubate is when we get a bit more particular and examine the egg for best shape, condition, and size. Our eggs do not get dirty for the most part, but if one is laid in the run, it gets dirty. We carefully clean off any clumps and do not wash our eggs until ready for use.

Agreed. I have hatched a few dirty eggs and the chicks were fine.

Anyone heard from Rusty Byrd ? I got some beautiful English Orps from her and am hatching eggs, sent her a message over four weeks ago and not heard back from her. She said she is in contact with someone on here that has the same health issues as she has and I am a little concerned as she's pretty good about replying to me. She breeds Sebastopols and her last post on here was 4/26 waiting for them to hatch. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom