Michigan Member List- In MI? Come join our list of fellow Michiganders

welcome-byc.gif
To all the newbies!!! Glad to have you. Come join us on the MI thread where we just like to chat.
frow.gif

Good Evening all chicken lovers,
I joined BYC earlier today and have made just a few posts.
I'm south east of the Tri-Cities, Midland-Saginaw-Bay City in little ol' Munger!! Tater town for those of you locals.
I haven't got my chickens yet because I had a very BAD disaster last spring. After purchasing 6, day-olds from Tractor Supply I raised them for exactly 4 weeks in a cardboard box brooder inside my greenhouse. That went perfectly and I loved it. Within a couple days of begining to get them OUTSIDE using the homemade chicken tractor, my HUSBANDS Jack Russell figured out where they were and how to get in!!! Yes! I lost 5 of the 6 and stricken with grief, and anger, gave the last precious little peeper to a lady in Freeland who keeps chickens. She took her in and she is now fully grown and laying, her name is Emma.
I swore I wouldn't attempt it again while the Jack Russell lives, but I am slowly building what I will need to raise happy healthy hens someday.
I saw a cool idea for using old dresser drawers for nest boxes and have picked some up in roadside garbage. I've also rebuilt and beefed up the chicken tractor that the Jack managed to get into, and I have made my own perch from scrap lumber. Also salvaged are 4 metal drawers from a steel cabinet which will also be nest boxes. I am looking for buckets and plant saucers now to make my food/water containers and I will have to buy another heat lamp because somehow my first one was broken.
Looking forward to learning alot here and getting to know people.

In my humble opinion Jack Russells and Chickens DONT mix. But that's my story. Perhaps others have had better luck.

Back
Top Bottom