Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

NO Laura, it did not come from you and all your hens are fine, It started in 2011, and gets the younger chicks. I am hoping Dr. Fulton will be able to give me some answers. will let you know
Blue shed looks like it would make a Great coop....
I thought so to, tell hubby he can get a new shed and save some $$ in the mean time, otherwise, maybe use the cement wall as one side of the coop base, would make digging under less of a problem . And yes keep it close to water and electricity. heated water saves a lot of time and worry,

My drive by gooser.
Pretty girl!! Dainty face and sweet. She acts like she was hand raised. Toke a bit to catch her last night but did not struggle once i was holding her.
These pictures dont represent her color very well. She has that brown grey of a Toulouse but could be a Pilgrim? My book on breeds is packed away so i am guessing. Seems to be in good health.
Has a tiny bottom compared to my two American geese so I named her "Pippa".
She IS pretty
Quote: She does indeed do beautiful work
Quote: Quote:chickflick thank you for letting us know about Granny

DH and son are antsy to have me look things up for them and take to bank sooo

Hey Guys, thought you might like to know that Granny is in the hospital and having a cyst on her spine removed today. Keep her in your prayers!

sending all good thoughts and prayers her way. Corporate greed is the source of many of our problems, I wish it was possible to transfer all the pain,suffering, and worry to the people responsible.

Farmerboy- You need to stop watching Fox and base your decisions on your own research.

Last edited:
What they said.

So can anyone tell me who decided that you can't eat eggs for two weeks after administering Wazine to the egg-laying flock? I am getting very fed up with so many conflicting ideas about what's best or safe. The bottle says don't use it at all for egg-layers. So who determined the two weeks? I understand the corporate liability on the label but still... come on. Do you feed them the eggs for two weeks; don't feed them the eggs for two weeks? Feed them to the dog? I don't have a dog. What about barn cats? In-laws? Can you hatch them?

I've read that you shouldn't de-worm unless you see evidence of worms or the parasites will build up a resistance to the medicines. I also read that they usually don't show evidence of worms and that if your chickens are over 6 months, de-worm them regardless. Also, DE is not a de-wormer but will help prevent them. No, use DE instead of chemical de-wormers. Use garlic instead of chemical de-wormers. Use copper sulfate. Wazine only clears up one type. Follow up with another. Wazine doesn't do squat. So get their poo checked and then decide.

I'M SO CONFUSED!!!!
barnie.gif

Last edited:
Thinking good thoughts for Granny (though I've never met her).

Thought I'd give an update on the "push in" waterers (also known as nipple waterers
lol.png
) now that cold weather has really hit. I'm using 5gal buckets with a lid, and I have a de-icer in each bucket. The past few days it's been quite windy here, and the temps have maxed out in the mid-20s, and it's been in the single digits (and wind) at night. One coop is insulated, one is not. Yesterday I found that the dispenser (nipple) part of the waterers had iced up, so when the chickens would peck the steel tip, it wouldn't move, and no water would come out. The water *in* the buckets was not frozen, though there was frost inside the buckets above the water line.

We have very hot tap water, so I filled up a 1gal pitcher (for each waterer) with hot water and took a baby food jar out to the coops. I filled the baby jar with the hot water, and put it up to the water dispensers so they were in the hot water, and held it there for about 5 seconds. Repeated for each of the dispensers. This was all it took for each of them to defrost. I then put the remainder of the water into the bucket. That was at about 5pm last night, it got down to about 5deg here last night, and the waterers were not frozen when I checked at 1:30 this afternoon.

This is the first that these have iced up on me since getting the de-icers, and it took me all of 5min to come back to the house to get the water, walk out to the coops, and get the dispensers defrosted. Easy peasy.

What they said.

So can anyone tell me who decided that you can't eat eggs for two weeks after administering Wazine to the egg-laying flock? I am getting very fed up with so many conflicting ideas about what's best or safe. The bottle says don't use it at all for egg-layers. So who determined the two weeks? I understand the corporate liability on the label but still... come on. Do you feed them the eggs for two weeks; don't feed them the eggs for two weeks? Feed them to the dog? I don't have a dog. What about barn cats? In-laws? Can you hatch them?

I've read that you shouldn't de-worm unless you see evidence of worms or the parasites will build up a resistance to the medicines. I also read that they usually don't show evidence of worms and that if your chickens are over 6 months, de-worm them regardless. Also, DE is not a de-wormer but will help prevent them. No, use DE instead of chemical de-wormers. Use garlic instead of chemical de-wormers. Use copper sulfate. Wazine only clears up one type. Follow up with another. Wazine doesn't do squat. So get their poo checked and then decide.

I'M SO CONFUSED!!!!
barnie.gif
Please note that the following statements are based on my understandings after obsessively searching on here, and not real-life experience. I'm new to this chicken stuff.

From my understanding, Wazine ONLY treats round worms. And 2 weeks is kind of the 'standard' withdrawl period for medications. I know that some have said that it is fine to eat eggs after treating with Ivermectin, but not all agree on this. If you are of the school of thought that you should *not* eat after treating with ivermectin, you should discard the eggs and that feeding them back to the chickens is re-introducing the medication to them via food and thereby lenghthening the withdrawl period. Some dogs are sensitive to ivermectin (collies I think?) so I would be careful about feeding it to other pets. Re-treatment after a certain period of time is necessary to break the life-cycle of the worms. The first treatment will kill the current worms, and the second treatment should kill any worms that were in the egg-stage during the first treatment. Chickengrandma recommended re-dosing with ivermectin after 10 days, per the advice of the class she took at MSU.

Once you see evidence of worms, you tend to have a full-blown infestation, which is why some treat for them 2x a year. Others are willing to wait and see if and when their chickens get worms. Using the same wormers over and over and over again is kind on like getting amoxocillin over and over and over again. Eventually it will be less effective. Don't abuse it, and be willing to rotate worming meds out (valbazen is another option).

From what I can figure out, DE is kind of like washing your hands. It helps knock most of the parasites off the chickens, but there's always the chance something will get through.

Natural de-wormers such as garlic and pumpkin may work, but I don't know of any studies that confirm this outside of anecdotal things. Some people don't like chemicals in themselves, and therefore don't put them in their animals. Holistic approaches are well worth researching, but in my experiece, get REALLY conflicting as to effectiveness and use.

My drive by gooser.
Pretty girl!! Dainty face and sweet. She acts like she was hand raised. .
Has a tiny bottom compared to my two American geese so I named her "Pippa".
You named her, now you have to keep her
wink.png
She is very pretty!

UGH. I need to jump up and down and stomp my feet I am so UPSET.
Mom2, so sorry for your losses
hugs.gif

NO Laura, it did not come from you and all your hens are fine, It started in 2011, and gets the younger chicks. I am hoping Dr. Fulton will be able to give me some answers. will let you know
I am glad it wasn't from mine. I hope you can figure out what's going on.
Hey Guys, thought you might like to know that Granny is in the hospital and having a cyst on her spine removed today. Keep her in your prayers!
Thanks chickflick. They will be in my prayers.

What they said.

I'M SO CONFUSED!!!!
barnie.gif
last thing I read said use one for a yr then switch so as not to over use, also feeding them back to the hens may over dose or cause immunity?? Yes it is confusing, Getting a fecal test is the best way to go maybe do it 2 times a yr, but that is $23 to $28 each time up here and you have to tell them what to look for and many vets will not do a fecal unless they see the animal, some will if you have another pet with them.
Thinking good thoughts for Granny (though I've never met her).

Thought I'd give an update
thanks for the up date, I have mine made but have not used them yet as I do not have a deicer. and my heated waterers are working well. But I am excited to get to use them
rms, you tend to have a full-blown infestation, which is why some treat for them 2x a year. Others are willing to wait and see if and when their chickens get worms. Using the same wormers over and over and over again is kind on like getting amoxocillin over and over and over again. Eventually it will be less effective. Don't abuse it, and be willing to rotate worming meds out (valbazen is another option).
Very well put, Ivermecton is used on humans so it should be safe to use eggs, IF you have no allergies. I would not sell them or give to non family members. we have eaten them with no ill effects. How ever, maybe we are building an immunity also??

Has anyone done the ivermectin paste and had it work for external lice?
I have not had to deal with lice and have not used the paste but am thinking of getting it next time. sounds easy to administer.

Just saw a hawk fly over, checking out the field in back, hope he got a few mice or rabbits. we have lots of those

Back
Top Bottom