Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

LOL.........Craigs list add today......whole add is funny .... ..I put what I found funny in bold........
hide.gif

Meat hogs/ great looking pigs - $100 (Jonesville)

I have 3 meat hogs for sale weighing 75#++. They are a Hampshire cross. They are well on they way. Looking to get a piece or 275 for all. Call or text for more info. Can send pics via txt if needed. Simply pigs though. Also I have a 350# sow for sale ready to breed or be butchered asking $325. Thanks for looking
Please call or text for more info
Cash is king...
Cash talks.

Last edited:
Self Blue (lavender) is a gene that modifies black to an overall light grey tone. It is a separate gene from black. It is recessive so 2 copies are necessary to see the color change.

Gene: Lav (dominant) and lav (recessive)
Lav/Lav - non lavender
Lav/lav - non lavender, carries the lavender gene but not visibly
lav/lav - lavender

Blue modifies black in a different way, and in a partial manner - one copy partially dilutes black to blue, while 2 copies dilute it further to splash. The blue is somewhat variable from light grey to a dark charcoal, and usually some dark lacing is present at the feather edges.

Gene Bl (dominant) and bl (recessive)
bl/bl - non-blue (Black)
Bl/bl - Blue
Bl/Bl - Splash
Thanks for the info. Does that mean that Bl and bl, are different genes?
Yep! I thought I'd be pretty safe posting this in the chicken forum
big_smile.png
Even you all would laugh if I had a picture to post of the haircut I gave a friend of mine's son. He was a teenager and afterwards said he thought all women knew how to cut hair. His mistake.
LOL.........Craigs list add today......whole add is funny .... ..I put what I found funny in bold........
hide.gif

Meat hogs/ great looking pigs - $100 (Jonesville)

I have 3 meat hogs for sale weighing 75#++. They are a Hampshire cross. They are well on they way. Looking to get a piece or 275 for all. Call or text for more info. Can send pics via txt if needed. Simply pigs though. Also I have a 350# sow for sale ready to breed or be butchered asking $325. Thanks for looking
Please call or text for more info
Cash is king...
Cash talks.

Don't make fun of him, at least he's willing to pay.
lau.gif

Bl and bl (as well as Lav and lav) are two versions (called alleles) of the same gene - each individual gene can be one or the other, but not both. However, except the sex-linked ones, genes come in pairs, so each bird can have two of one version or one of each. This is the Genotype. The Phenotype is the way these genes are expressed - in color, size, and other characteristics of an organism.

A you can see, the genotype can "hide" certain traits that are carried in the genes but not expressed in the phenotype - either carried as a recessive gene, or supressed by a modifying gene.

I find this all fascinating, not everyone does! If you are interested you might like this Wikipedia section
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Introduction_to_genetics

There is a long story behind this, but DH has gotten back his goat that a friend (who he originally got the goat from) Had put back with the other 2 goats for the winter. (We cared for last year due to their house burning down) Sadly, the other 2 are dead. Possible animan attacks, possible starvation. :(

I am reposting this as many of you on here have goats as well, and I only know birds/ cats/ dogs. This is a horribly sad thing, and DH really loves that goat. It is emaciated to unrecognizable. If anyone has ever dealt with a sheep/ goat and knows how to nurse one, please please help me .

Hooves are overgrown and he is walking like he's foundering; DH knows how to trim and even I could hold him at this point.

Too weak to worm. For the last few weeks (or more for all we know) he's been getting raked up dead leaves and sticks to eat. Every knob on his bones are jutting out. Hair is dull, eyes sunk in. It was evening when DH carried him home, so tomorrow i wil look under his eyes to see if he's anemic. :( DH is furious, he has been asking about the goat every other week and has offered more than once to buy feed if they needed $$.

Any suggestions for the best thing to start with? I had to give him a bucket of scratch, it was all i had and the feed store was already closed. I hope he don't die of bloat now, but if he did at least the poor thing would die happy in his home with a full tummy.

There is a long story behind this, but DH has gotten back his goat that a friend (who he originally got the goat from) Had put back with the other 2 goats for the winter. (We cared for last year due to their house burning down)  Sadly, the other 2 are dead. Possible animan attacks, possible starvation. :(

I am reposting this as many of you on here have goats as well, and I only know birds/ cats/ dogs. This is a horribly sad thing, and DH really loves that goat. It is emaciated to unrecognizable. If anyone has ever dealt with a sheep/ goat and knows how to nurse one, please please help me .

Hooves are overgrown and he is walking like he's foundering; DH knows how to trim and even I could hold him at this point.

Too weak to worm. For the last few weeks (or more for all we know) he's been getting raked up dead leaves and sticks to eat.  Every knob on his bones are jutting out. Hair is dull, eyes sunk in. It was evening when DH carried him home, so tomorrow i wil look under his eyes to see if he's anemic. :(   DH is furious, he has been asking about the goat every other week and has offered more than once to buy feed if they needed $$.

Any suggestions for the best thing to start with? I had to give him a bucket of scratch, it was all i had and the feed store was already closed. I hope he don't die of bloat now, but if he did at least the poor thing would die happy in his home with a full tummy.

:( I'm so sorry. I have no knowledge with this so just wishing you the best of luck.

You have to start small with the goat or he will bloat. Get on backyard herds and check out their goat and emergency section. But I do know you have to give little portions or they ll bloat. Lots of fresh water and hay not grain for the first little while. Easier to digest I believe. I am not a expert by any means just have a few of my own. Good luck with the poor baby.

Back
Top Bottom