Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Look what I found . I feel offical now

Congrat, Mara! I know you have been going nuts waiting :woot

Last Wednesday I was down to 9 eggs in my fridge after selling 7 dozen. As of today, I have 5 dozen in the fridge. The girls have been quite busy! Guess I better enjoy it as the days are getting shorter & shorter & I know they are gonna start laying less frequently :(

Last edited:
wait!!! another one today I seen her going from the box to the top of the rabbit cage. so I set the covered cat box up there and she went in. my daughter found it this afternoon.
bun.gif

I think from

congratulations!!!

is that a black Amaracauna? looks like some of mine. I found a similar size and colored egg in one of the coops when I cleaned them out today, I think they are laying out in the yard someplace.?

I am/was an electrician before I went into the military (I’m still a member of I.B.E.W. Local 58). I would suggest running a 12 gauge wire from the hose to the chicken coop (unless you’re running other items besides basic lighting and plugs). Voltage drop starts to occur when you get around 220 or 250 feet. If you run a direct burial wire, I would suggest a 12/3 which means there is a black, red, white, and ground wire in it. The reason for this is so that you can put a switch in the house or garage to turn on a light at the coop. It’s just easier to turn on that light than to have to trek out to the coop at night if you hear something wrong out there.

It says you live in Capac. I can come out there and help you run it and show you what to do to hook everything up……just PM and I will give you my phone #. I live up in the North Branch area so it’s not a big deal to go out there.
The 12/3 is a great idea - I love ideas like that. I'm running 8 to my new barn and then using metal encased 12/2 for utilities. That way animals can't chew through wiring in the barn and it's cheaper than romex!

Hi everyone Shelby TV. Will be interviewing me today about the ordinance in Shelby twp. If there are any 4H people or other people that would like to have any input in the changing Shelby twp. Please call Shelby TV. and let them know how you feel. the more people that are together on this we could get the ordinance changed
Good luck, hope things work out well for you

we now have electric wire out to coop, however the first yr I ran heavy duty extension cords about 115ft. didn't have any problems but were only using it for a 20wt bulb in the coockie tin heater

Yay for eggs, and kindness, and voting.

Our 2 bantams have been laying under their coop, in the run. They haven't figured out their nesting box yet, and I was getting ready to lock them in the coop for a few days to force the issue. We have a duplex set up, and there's a small hole in the run fence between them and the big hens while they get acquainted. Today I looked in the big girls' nesting box and found an egg from our silkie. She won't lay in her own box, but she went "to the other side" to lay in a box. Sigh... chickens. ;)

congratulations!!!

is that a black Amaracauna? looks like some of mine. I found a similar size and colored egg in one of the coops when I cleaned them out today, I think they are laying out in the yard someplace.?
Good question I was hoping somebody else could tell me. As far as breeds, ages when they lay ect...?????still learning. Ask me how to stitch up a laceration, draw blood, IM injection or splint something ect... I'm your girl.

tsetes9 trust me I understand!!!!! I feel for you. I was showing off my egg at work email ect... Telling everybody this is my $300.00 egg now I have 2 so i guess its 150 each.
ya.gif

fl.gif
hoping you get some soon.

That is awesome Mara, I feel like I've been waiting forever for eggs also. My white chicken in my avatar, we call Buff, finally laid her 1st 1 today. It was lite brown and kinda med-lg. Long but not very wide, I'm sure they'll shape up later. I was so eggcited, hopefully my other 4 girls(2-RIR and 2 EE's) will now also start.
clap.gif
C'mon girls- I think by the egg now also, that my white chicken is a Delaware.

Back
Top Bottom