Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Today was day 19 for our fertile eggs under a broody. This is our first time, and I know now that I could never hatch with an incubator. I'd be a nervous Nelly. I'm hoping to see some pips tomorrow, and some sweet little self blue bantam cochin chicks on Tuesday.

South Carolina new to site. It's very helpful.I have had chickens for about 7 years. Today was my first time hatching my own. This site was very helpful. Still finding it kinda hard to use so reading up on instructions. Have lots of questions a out first 24-48 of chick care since I hatched them and not bought them from farm store. They don't seem to want to drink like baby chicks I've bought from store. HOW do I sterilization of incubator for future hatches?

Today was day 19 for our fertile eggs under a broody.  This is our first time, and I know now that I could never hatch with an incubator.  I'd be a nervous Nelly.  I'm hoping to see some pips tomorrow, and some sweet little self blue bantam cochin chicks on Tuesday. 

Good luck Amy

That is the right lime for whitewash - aka hydrated, builders, slake, or Masons lime. It is caustic in its powder form, but once painted on the walls is safe.

The wrong kind is called ag, garden or barn lime, which are added to soil or sprinkled on barn floors (don't use hydrated lime for this)

Here's my lesson of the day. Last month I purchased eggs from eBay. I made sure the eggs were coming from places that were NPIP tested and there were not any complaints, so decent chicken owners. I filled my incubator. At day 10 candeling I pulled and threw away 19 clear eggs. It cost me $45.00 a dozen. This month I ordered eggs off a website from a breeder with a good word of mouth reputation. I filled the incubator agin and Candled on day 9 with only 3 clear. I spent $37.00 a dozen. They haven't hatched yet but even at this point the difference is pretty amazing.

Last edited:
Downstate is more temperate with around 6-8 weeks less cold than up here. I'm sure on sunny days they are very comfortable. But we often get daytime temps below zero, and nighttime lower than 20 below often enough to be an issue. When the winter storms change from a near-hurricane east wind to a bitter cold north wind for days, a tarp-covered anything is not enough. The ground becomes iron hard and frostbite is a constant risk. You just can not believe how bitter it can be - I do not know how people live in worse climates.
I lived in the Soo for 4 years and worked on an ice breaking ship. It was fairly cold. I lived in Northern Maine. Now that was cold. I lived in Alaska. Blah, it was like a tropical jungle there. All in all, I think I would prefer Fiji now.

Seems to be the slowest year for Chickenstock interest. Usually by now it would be the hot topic. Pass the word around. Subscribe to RaZ thread and keep up with the items for sale.

Kind of a random question, but do any yoopers know if there are any poultry shows up here or in northern Wisconsin? I'd like to go to chicken stock but I don't think I could convince hubby the 12 hour round trip car ride was worth it
1f609.png
. Plus I would need to finagle too many days off work. Anyway, just thought I would ask

South Carolina new to site. It's very helpful.I have had chickens for about 7 years. Today was my first time hatching my own. This site was very helpful. Still finding it kinda hard to use so reading up on instructions. Have lots of questions a out first 24-48 of chick care since I hatched them and not bought them from farm store. They don't seem to want to drink like baby chicks I've bought from store. HOW do I sterilization of incubator for future hatches?

If you hatched them yourself, right before they hatch they absorb the yolk which gives them all the nutrition they need for 72hrs (which is why hatcheries ship day old chicks). They will likely start eating and drinking after the 72 hrs has passed.

As far as sanitizing your incubator I just use a mild soap/water solution and put it out in the sun to dry.

Where is RaZ?
Love your siggy BTW
I hope RaZ is lurking so he can keep up with the CS listings. I see him on FB so he's doing okay (I guess).

I grabbed that siggy from the cover of a Yankee magazine. I actually framed the cover and hung it up. My wife is from Maine and that's a pretty fair representation of those downeastah's, ayuh.

Back
Top Bottom