Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Glad, I have Cream Legbar hens that I cross under an Arkansas Blue rooster, they produce sex links that lay really nice blue eggs. My pullets from this spring have been laying all winter without lights. They are also very feed efficient.

Noted. I may take you up on that (shipped) if I can't find something closer.
wink.png
I do NOT need more chickens....but I have 5-7 girls that will have to go this fall. They'll be 4 and I just can't keep feeding them and not getting anything back.

Hi everyone...I've been away from BYC for a while, just trying to catch up with all the posts I've missed...there are a lot!

Just thinking about whether to add to my flock this Spring, I am still fairly new to chicken keeping having got my first girls in May of 2014. I've had quite a number of losses, some through illness and others through hawk attack, all in all I have really enjoyed keeping a flock, so with this in mind I'm looking to add another 6 or so pullets to my flock this spring from April to May, depending on availability.

I have a mixed flock of Penclled Rocks, Olive Eggers and Red Mutts
big_smile.png
, but I'm really open to adding anything cold hardy to my flock. If you have anything you would want to part with that you think I'd like please let me know, I'm interested in pullets only aged 8 weeks and up or thereabouts, and I'd like to get them from end of March forward.

I live in the Thumb area and would prefer to travel within a 35-40 mile radius of Reese for pickup if at all possible. Thanks for checking out my post and I hope to hear from anyone selling

Hi everyone...I've been away from BYC for a while, just trying to catch up with all the posts I've missed...there are a lot!

Just thinking about whether to add to my flock this Spring, I am still fairly new to chicken keeping having got my first girls in May of 2014. I've had quite a number of losses, some through illness and others through hawk attack, all in all I have really enjoyed keeping a flock, so with this in mind I'm looking to add another 6 or so pullets to my flock this spring from April to May, depending on availability.

I have a mixed flock of Penclled Rocks, Olive Eggers and Red Mutts
big_smile.png
, but I'm really open to adding anything cold hardy to my flock. If you have anything you would want to part with that you think I'd like please let me know, I'm interested in pullets only aged 8 weeks and up or thereabouts, and I'd like to get them from end of March forward.

I live in the Thumb area and would prefer to travel within a 35-40 mile radius of Reese for pickup if at all possible. Thanks for checking out my post and I hope to hear from anyone selling

Check out Polish hens, not known for cold hardness but mine stand up remarkably well!

Also check out Hedemoras and Cream Legbars, fantastic, cold hardy birds especially the hedmoras!

Hi everyone. I had my first 3 chickens last year that all ended up roosters. We loved the experience so this spring i would like to get hens to keep year round for eggs. What types do you guys recommend and where are the best places to get them from? I'm about an hour north of Grand Rapids. Thanks!

Hi everyone. I had my first 3 chickens last year that all ended up roosters. We loved the experience so this spring i would like to get hens to keep year round for eggs. What types do you guys recommend and where are the best places to get them from? I'm about an hour north of Grand Rapids. Thanks!
You can get them at FF&H or TSC when spring chick days arrive. Pick out only pullet chicks but it will be a few months before you see an egg. Barred Rocks are one of my favorites. Throw in an Americana for green, or, blue eggs. If you want to be sure they are pullets you can get black sex links. Metzger (sp) Farm in Zeeland sells chicks also. Check their website. Be aware of the CL adds - sometimes good, sometimes bad. You can also check out the auction in Nunica on Saturday mornings but, again, sometimes good, sometimes bad, and the bio-security is pretty much nil there...good luck. Oh, and you can order them through the mail. Just do a search for mail order chickens and ducks...

I've gotten chicks at several places TSC, Family Farm & home and went to a hatchery and ended up with a lot of roosters that were supposed to be pullets. My best experience was with ordering from Townline Poultry (if I remember right they are out of Zeeland). I got 32 Isa Browns less than 24 hrs old and didn't lose a single one. I will definitely be ordering from them from now on! The Isa Browns all give me an extra large brown egg almost every day! Good luck!

Thanks for the input. I was looking at Meyers hatchery, but it costs so much to ship. I like the idea of getting a variety. Last year my local feed store only offered one type and all 3 ended up roosters.

Thanks for the input. I was looking at Meyers hatchery, but it costs so much to ship. I like the idea of getting a variety. Last year my local feed store only offered one type and all 3 ended up roosters.
Mc Murrys also has a good selection and they will vaccinate rather cheaply, do you have any chickens now? if not there are those that sell here and else were, and if I remember correctly, the FFH or TSC up in newaygo has swap meets on weekends. you may be able to pick up pullets or baby's there. and of course there are a lot of good people here that sell, also Chicken stock in June at a park in lansing, come meet a bunch of crazy chicken people (Us) and many bring poultry to sell

Chickenstock is a good place to meet other chicken folks, and you can often find someone who has extra birds or chicks to bring along. I am hoping to be able to come this year, and if I do I will try to hatch some blue-egg-laying sexlinks to bring along.

Back
Top Bottom