Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Lost one lavender orp yesterday.

I'm sorry. I have no advice, just feel really bad. How cold did it get where you are?

One of my orpingtons was really cold today & just wanted to puff out and lay down. Her normally yellow feets/legs looked a teeny bit tinted black and I'm just ready for this weekend warm-up.

Dagnabit! Tractor doesn't want to turn over. Too darn cold and not enough cranking amps on the stock battery. It has been on the trickle charger but not enough to crank. I might have to look into a block heater. Diesels are hard to start in the cold.

At least the UTV started and I can go plow a driveway. Beer money! :drool
Our tractor is a really hard starter in the cold. My brother has been using a magnet block heater on it along with a jacket for the battery as well. It has helped, but I usually get to be the one that can't ever get the gorram thing to start when it's colder than snot.

Going to be glad to have that warmup soon. Got some ear corn at meijer last night, probably overpaid for it given that it was in a plastic bag in their wild critter feeds, but I would like to have them actively doing something constructive when they've been cooped up this long and stripping an ear of corn foots that bill. also heated up some old oatmeal for them, and mom made hamburgers last night and mixed in the grease from that in there, and toss in some BOSS as well this morning. That went over well.

And I've come to realize that Godzilla is Broody again. She always makes the loudest fuss whenever you catch her in the nest box. Don't think its a good time right now for you to be hatching eggs. But I do kinda wish that the other girls would hop into the nest box with her and leave her eggs, then I wouldn't have to worry so much about the eggs freezing up on us.

But I do kinda wish that the other girls would hop into the nest box with her and leave her eggs, then I wouldn't have to worry so much about the eggs freezing up on us.
Haha!! I told someone the other day that I had trained my birds to stay in the nest with their eggs until I came to gather them so the eggs would not freeze :lol:

LOL!

The algae scrubber, encourages the algae to grow in a controlled spot, so it will actually scrub the water of Nitrates, which can be deadly if it gets to high.

Eggs? What are Eggs? I haven't seen any all winter!

Well, lost another chicken. Was surprised. She didn't act sick. Was up and eating/drinking. Went down this morning and she's dead in the brooder. On a good note, the lavender orp is looking great. Up and eating and bright eyed.
Looking forward to the warmer days ahead. Hope no more sub zero temps....

That stinks. Losing a bird for unknown reasons is always frustrating.

I had another pullet do the squat. That's 4 now. I'll have to put some golf balls in the nest boxes.
I hope it does warm up this weekend. It would be nice to do a major cleaning of the coop.

One of my muscovy hens left late Tuesday afternoon and returned today. I opened the south facing barn door, which everyone appreciated. She was in the barn later. She was gone three (of the coldest) nights.

Back
Top Bottom