Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Folks,
What a pleasant day this was. It didn't rain!

Enjoyed meeting some of you at the ChickenStock. Unfortunately we had to leave early and missed some of you. Perhaps next year, as we will be there for sure. Saw some really nice birds. The trio of Buff Orpington's were beautiful. And that Cayauga duck won my wife's heart :) he is a character.

A couple of folks had told me they had sent me pm's. OK I'm not sure if I have to set something here or -?- as I can't seem to locate any messages. I sent one tonight and will see if it goes through.

Jim

Can't sleep!! My dog woke me up barking and I got up to find that there were TWO raccoons walking across my deck!! The "girls" are locked up tight, but I am sending the hubby out to check on them!!! Wish us luck!
fl.gif

We built the coop like Fort Knox, but then again, we don't think like hungry raccoons!!

Well, we must have done a good job, all 12 girls are safe and sound! whew!!!
thumbsup.gif
Thank God. The dog woke my 4 year old up and she was almost in tears thinking that they might have eaten her chickens! That would have been bad!

10233_coffee_4.gif
For some stupid reason I've been wide awake since 430 and I'm making a serious dent in the first pot of coffee. It sounds like FFC needs to institute a coon eradication program pretty soon. About a month ago I found evidence of something trying to dig under the wire of my chicken tractor. The next evening I set a live trap and the next morning a large coon was snarling at me. The following day a second coon suffered the same fate as it compatriot. Subsequent baiting have yet to catch anymore so perhaps that was all the had taken up residence in this area. I have since electrified the tractor so I'm not over concerned about predators though one should never let their guard down.

I was talking with Hilly Rooster yesterday and he keeps a radio playing in his coop as a means to deter predators. Great idea and the voices coming from the coop will leave the coons thinking someone is in there. He was telling me that he can tell a difference in his birds attitudes based on what type of music being played. Hard rock seems to cause them to be agitated while country makes them more laid back. I hate to think how they would react if he were to play rap.

Been up since 5:15, you got me beat Sam.....and I have yet to even start the coffee going.

Speaking of radios.....I have one on in my shop and also in my hog barn all the time....tuned in to B93.7, country! Classic rock 94.9 when I am in the 69 Chevelle.....never rap.

Heading up to Michigans Upper Peninsula on Monday. Have a addition to build (frame) on a hunting cabin for some friends. Shouldn't take too long and will be fun.

Snakes......I know they are good to have around, but I hate them things. Only thing I know for certain I am scared of is a slithery snake.

Well, I better go start the coffee. Have a great day you all.

Wow, you guys were up early. I was up at 6am but had stuff to do before I could get on the computer. Already 2 cups of coffee down and will need more before the kids get here to play today.

I actually got all caught up on laundry yesterday. If I looked real hard I could get one more load together, but why do that.

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning!

It was perfect sleeping weather this morning, so the snooze got hit a couple times
smile.png

Did make it down to the neighbors and got weight lifting in today. Hard to get up and going when Cindy, who I exersice with, is in Oregon caring for her mom. The accountablity makes a big difference.

Have a great day today! I am excited for tomorrow morning! I am taking most of the extra roos up to Gyer's to sell in the auction. Costing too much to keep them. Still bummed out of the free chicks I got last month out of 28 there were only 12 girls!!!!
somad.gif

Then in the afternoon we are going to MOOVILLE
celebrate.gif
Which is right down the road from Hill billy rooster. So if we have time we will swing by.

Gretchen and Rachel are coming home this evening from their camp and mission trip. Chores will be easier on me
smile.png

Sarah

Quote:
My laundry is caught up too. It is amazing what having 2 less kids for a week can do for the laundry. Now tonight, I will have a couple loads to wash
smile.png

Morning all! Steve, nice to see you posting again! Sam, I also keep a radio playing in my barn, country, of course! It has kept the coons out, thankfully. The barn with the radio is farthest from my dogs, they are on one side of the yard, barn with radio on the other, all other coops and pens in between. No problems since I got the dogs, thankfully! Before the dogs, my radio died on me, I didn't replace it right away and a coon came in. You bet I got me a radio right after that!

Quote:
We also use a radio in the chicken house, and we have never had a problem with anything trying to get in. It's an emergency weather radio. We switch it over at night to the NOLA weather station, during the day we have one of the FM stations on. I agree with hillbillyrooster. They do show different attitudes towards different music. LOL We usually have mike 101.7 on so different types of music will come on.

Our silkie likes motownish type music, another tends to perk up with rock n roll, etc. When we switch the radio over to the weather station they head to their roost spots. Some days I'll forget to switch the radio over to Mike FM, and they do get agitated.
roll.png

Bluemoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom